Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: carry question ?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162

    carry question ?

    Any of you carry around an ex either cc or oc? If so, what are reasons an ex could try and prevent me from carrying? Mind you, I carry responsibly, and always lawful with audio and video, at the minimum only audio to protect myself. I do have cpl, and have for some time now. Oc normally except where carry is not allowed. I do cc around the ex though, however it is now known I carry, and she has no knowledge of Michigan firearms laws. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

    Glock214
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

  2. #2
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holland, MI.
    Posts
    266
    Just make sure your recording, cause they can lie and make trouble for you.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Just make sure your recording, cause they can lie and make trouble for you.
    Thank you, I've been recording meetings with her or any type of contact anyway, while carrying I am very careful and always record everything, and back it up to pc. You from holland?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

  4. #4
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    Any of you carry around an ex either cc or oc? If so, what are reasons an ex could try and prevent me from carrying? Mind you, I carry responsibly, and always lawful with audio and video, at the minimum only audio to protect myself. I do have cpl, and have for some time now. Oc normally except where carry is not allowed. I do cc around the ex though, however it is now known I carry, and she has no knowledge of Michigan firearms laws. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

    Glock214
    How was she about you carrying before you separated? If you think she will cause trouble and you have children together she could try to make problems. Protect yourself anyway you can.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  5. #5
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    How was she about you carrying before you separated? If you think she will cause trouble and you have children together she could try to make problems. Protect yourself anyway you can.
    I did not carry while with her, I started to carry after we separated. We do have children from the marriage. She was saying it will not be around the girls ever. I advised her that was not going to happen. I carry for the safety of my family, and know firearm laws in Michigan. So she may try to make life hard. I was as usual recording everything.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wyandotte, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    I did not carry while with her, I started to carry after we separated. We do have children from the marriage. She was saying it will not be around the girls ever. I advised her that was not going to happen. I carry for the safety of my family, and know firearm laws in Michigan. So she may try to make life hard. I was as usual recording everything.
    As long as you are lawfully carrying, she doesn't have a leg to stand on. Her argument in court on this would be no different then if your argument was she transports the kids in a small compact and that is not as safe as the SUV you drive.

  7. #7
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: carry question ?

    Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    As long as you are lawfully carrying, she doesn't have a leg to stand on. Her argument in court on this would be no different then if your argument was she transports the kids in a small compact and that is not as safe as the SUV you drive.
    Although you may think that is logically analogous, the court may not. The judge MAY have an issue. I know that I have mentioned the issue with you before, Glock214. In terms of "the best interest of the children" the judge could easily, and it may be likely, decide that loaded firearms and young children don't mix. In my case, I almost lost any contact with my children because I had firearms...and he was under the impression I only had a shotgun and a rifle. With the costly intervention of my attorney to the tune of approximately $5k, the judge maintained the then current arrangement if 1) I kept the firearms out of site and 2) I agreed to maintain them in a "broken down" condition, encased, with trigger locks. Additionally all ammunition needed to be stored out of site in a locked container. My ex didn't even know that I had a CPL at that time and my kids didn't know I had a pistol because, even though I OCd around them, they were too young to really explain that to their mother.

    Later, of course they talked to their mom about it...positively, and I get a call from my attorney that my ex is planning to go to court over it. My attorney stated she received a call from my ex's attorney who, because he was sick of dealing with his client, instead called my attorney about the possible request to change parenting time and or custody. I decided then to only CC around them for a while. About 1.5 years ago I decided enough time had gone by and again OCd around my children. After doing so my daughter told me that she overheard my ex talking to an attorney on the phone saying that she wanted to take me to court over the loaded pistols to which my children were exposed... and her new husband was against going to court because they only had the statements from my children that I OCd and he didn't want them to have to testify "against" their dad. Knowing the MONTHS of grief, the expense, and the way I was grilled regarding my having a shotgun and a rifle on my premises despite them being secured to a level that far and above exceeds even the transportation requirements under state law, I now exclusively CC in her presence.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 08-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  8. #8
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Although you may think that is logically analogous, the court may not. The judge MAY have an issue. I know that I have mentioned the issue with you before, Glock214. In terms of "the best interest of the children" the judge could easily, and it may be likely, decide that loaded firearms and young children don't mix. In my case, I almost lost any contact with my children because I had firearms...and he was under the impression I only had a shotgun and a rifle. With the costly intervention of my attorney to the tune of approximately $5k, the judge maintained the then current arrangement if 1) I kept the firearms out of site and 2) I agreed to maintain them in a "broken down" condition, encased, with trigger locks. Additionally all ammunition needed to be stored out of site in a locked container. My ex didn't even know that I had a CPL at that time and my kids didn't know I had a pistol because, even though I OCd around them, they were too young to really explain that to their mother.

    Later, of course they talked to their mom about it...positively, and I get a call from my attorney that my ex is planning to go to court over it. My attorney stated she received a call from my ex's attorney who, because he was sick of dealing with his client, instead called my attorney about the possible request to change parenting time and or custody. I decided then to only CC around them for a while. About 1.5 years ago I decided enough time had gone by and again OCd around my children. After doing so my daughter told me that she overheard my ex talking to an attorney on the phone saying that she wanted to take me to court over the loaded pistols to which my children were exposed... and her new husband was against going to court because they only had the statements from my children that I OCd and he didn't want them to have to testify "against" their dad. Knowing the MONTHS of grief, the expense, and the way I was grilled regarding my having a shotgun and a rifle on my premises despite them being secured to a level that far and above exceeds even the transportation requirements under state law, I now exclusively CC in her presence.
    Un-freaking-real.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  9. #9
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    The judge said keep them put up, broke down, and away from your own children. Can you even go to the range with your kids to properly teach them? Having guns around your kids and teaching them how to use them is the best way to teach gun safety. Keeping kids from being taught about guns can unfortunately turn out like this... Hey so and so, look what I found in my dads closet. Cool let me see, BANG....
    Last edited by OneForAll; 08-10-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  10. #10
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holland, MI.
    Posts
    266
    Gotta love Ex's. They love to have the court system fight their battles for them, and the lawyers love to take your money to do it. After all it's not what you did, it's what can you pay.

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: carry question ?

    Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    The judge said keep them put up, broke down, and away from your own children. Can you even go to the range with your kids to properly teach them? Having guns around your kids and teaching them how to use them is the best way to teach gun safety. Keeping kids from being taught about guns can unfortunately turn out like this... Hey so and so, look what I found in my dads closet. Cool let me see, BANG....
    Agreed.
    That was about 8 years ago; now I take them out shooting as their interest and time permits (3-4x year). As far as long guns go, I no longer keep them secured in such an extreme manner and even bought my daughter a 10/22 for her 10th birthday.

    Regarding my carrying, I OC approximately 80%-90% of my time. If I'm anywhere near my ex, I'm usually in my car while picking up my children so an openly carried pistol is not an issue; they walk to and from the house themselves. When they were younger and I had to get out of my car to get them, I usually covered my pistol for the few minutes it took. I CC now if I have to get them but can only recall one time in the last year that I needed to get out of my vehicle. The inconvenience of CC for a few minutes a year pales in comparison to the possible family court repercussions of OCing.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 08-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  12. #12
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: carry question ?

    After reading this thread, it has only confirmed for me that our "justice" system is far from just.

    Judges are suposed to act on the law period! No room for personal views or emotions, yet we have many, many judges that do exactly that, turn the bench into their personal soap box to legislate from.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  13. #13
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    After reading this thread, it has only confirmed for me that our "justice" system is far from just.

    Judges are suposed to act on the law period! No room for personal views or emotions, yet we have many, many judges that do exactly that, turn the bench into their personal soap box to legislate from.
    Quoted for the truth!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  14. #14
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    I think I need an attorney now DrTodd. Can you recommend a good one? This sounds like something my ex would do. I don't want to lose my firearm or my children. I'm so close to getting an interview for a deputy reserve position too. I can't lose things now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.



    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Although you may think that is logically analogous, the court may not. The judge MAY have an issue. I know that I have mentioned the issue with you before, Glock214. In terms of "the best interest of the children" the judge could easily, and it may be likely, decide that loaded firearms and young children don't mix. In my case, I almost lost any contact with my children because I had firearms...and he was under the impression I only had a shotgun and a rifle. With the costly intervention of my attorney to the tune of approximately $5k, the judge maintained the then current arrangement if 1) I kept the firearms out of site and 2) I agreed to maintain them in a "broken down" condition, encased, with trigger locks. Additionally all ammunition needed to be stored out of site in a locked container. My ex didn't even know that I had a CPL at that time and my kids didn't know I had a pistol because, even though I OCd around them, they were too young to really explain that to their mother.

    Later, of course they talked to their mom about it...positively, and I get a call from my attorney that my ex is planning to go to court over it. My attorney stated she received a call from my ex's attorney who, because he was sick of dealing with his client, instead called my attorney about the possible request to change parenting time and or custody. I decided then to only CC around them for a while. About 1.5 years ago I decided enough time had gone by and again OCd around my children. After doing so my daughter told me that she overheard my ex talking to an attorney on the phone saying that she wanted to take me to court over the loaded pistols to which my children were exposed... and her new husband was against going to court because they only had the statements from my children that I OCd and he didn't want them to have to testify "against" their dad. Knowing the MONTHS of grief, the expense, and the way I was grilled regarding my having a shotgun and a rifle on my premises despite them being secured to a level that far and above exceeds even the transportation requirements under state law, I now exclusively CC in her presence.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clinton Twp
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    I don't want to lose my firearm or my children. I'm so close to getting an interview for a deputy reserve position too. I can't lose things now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If you did get hired for said position, would it not then be a "requirement" for proper execution of that position? Some departments REQUIRE their employees to be armed at all times. Also having the exemption box checked on your CPL is an added bonus, especially for school functions.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

  16. #16
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: carry question ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    I think I need an attorney now DrTodd. Can you recommend a good one? This sounds like something my ex would do. I don't want to lose my firearm or my children. I'm so close to getting an interview for a deputy reserve position too. I can't lose things now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    PM sent...
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Michigun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    139
    I have a friend who is a hunter and was getting a divorce. His ex decided to take out a personal protection order against him with some made up story about him threatening her with no proof at all, knowing that it would wreck that years hunting. He was banned from having any firearms in his possession. Needless to say, no rifle hunting that year. The PPO was dissolved when the divorce was final.
    Last edited by Michigun; 08-14-2013 at 06:03 PM.

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigun View Post
    I have a friend who is a hunter and was getting a divorce. His ex decided to take out a personal protection order against him with some made up story about him threatening her with no proof at all, knowing that it would wreck that years hunting. He was banned from having any firearms in his possession. Needless to say, no rifle hunting that year. The PPO was dissolved when the divorce was final.
    Hmm, have I ever met you? Just kidding because this is close to what happened to me. The only difference was that my ex claimed I went on her property, no actual threats...which I admitted I did. However, this is what was agreed to in our written agreement in dropping off and picking up my children. According to our agreement, I was to pick up/drop off the children at her home. Despite this, the PPO was granted which effectively barred me from hunting for 2 years. The 6 month PPO was extended another 6 months because the judge said "I see no harm in extending it" despite the fact that there had never been any credible violation of the order since it was issued. At the third hearing for yet another extension, the judge decided that my ex's credibility had been shot because of repeated attempts at having me arrested for supposed violations of the order... all of which were untrue. In fact, it got to the point that when she called the sheriff's department to have them investigate, officers would just telephone me, tell me what she accused me of, ask me if it was true: then the "investigation" was dropped. It was a colossal waste of time on the part of the deputies and it ended up costing me a large amount of money in court costs and attorney fees to fight her charges. Luckily, I recorded every interaction that I had with her... which she also tried to present as evidence that I was harassing her. This was the beginning of the end of her charade...the judge said I was wise to record all communication and to have video of all the times I dropped off or picked up my children. I had family members accompany me and recorded her interaction with them and the judge was able to see that it was my ex who was hostile and dangerous to others. This also came up in my meeting with the CPL board, which almost cost me the license.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 08-15-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  19. #19
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Hmm, have I ever met you? Just kidding because this is close to what happened to me. The only difference was that my ex claimed I went on her property, no actual threats...which I admitted I did. However, this is what was agreed to in our written agreement in dropping off and picking up my children. According to our agreement, I was to pick up/drop off the children at her home. Despite this, the PPO was granted which effectively barred me from hunting for 2 years. The 6 month PPO was extended another 6 months because the judge said "I see no harm in extending it" despite the fact that there had never been any credible violation of the order since it was issued. At the third hearing for yet another extension, the judge decided that my ex's credibility had been shot because of repeated attempts at having me arrested for supposed violations of the order... all of which were untrue. In fact, it got to the point that when she called the sheriff's department to have them investigate, officers would just telephone me, tell me what she accused me of, ask me if it was true: then the "investigation" was dropped. It was a colossal waste of time on the part of the deputies and it ended up costing me a large amount of money in court costs and attorney fees to fight her charges. Luckily, I recorded every interaction that I had with her... which she also tried to present as evidence that I was harassing her. This was the beginning of the end of her charade...the judge said I was wise to record all communication and to have video of all the times I dropped off or picked up my children. I had family members accompany me and recorded her interaction with them and the judge was able to see that it was my ex who was hostile and dangerous to others. This also came up in my meeting with the CPL board, which almost cost me the license.
    Wise man. After hearing that horror story you make me want to never want to get married and have kids. Glad to hear you were smart enough to record anything. I'm surprised she was never charged with anything like filing a false police report or something like that.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  20. #20
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: carry question ?

    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Wise man. After hearing that horror story you make me want to never want to get married and have kids. Glad to hear you were smart enough to record anything. I'm surprised she was never charged with anything like filing a false police report or something like that.
    Yup, also remember it is not just a lying ex that can jam one up. All it takes is one nut job to file a false claim against you for (fill in the blank). We as open carriers are easy targets for liars. Without a video / audio of any interaction, who do you think the police , judge & jury will believe - the guy with the gun or the 98lb soccer mom who says you drew down on here over a parking spot at the store? When its your word against theirs every edge helps. Being able to bring up a video of the bat crap crazy lady nearly smashing into in the parking lot then screaming at you and calling police once she sees your gun all while your hands are on a shopping cart calmly walking towards the store.....$$$PRICELESS. Without it, you're going to jail if things go south.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  21. #21
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,754
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Yup, also remember it is not just a lying ex that can jam one up. All it takes is one nut job to file a false claim against you for (fill in the blank). We as open carriers are easy targets for liars. Without a video / audio of any interaction, who do you think the police , judge & jury will believe - the guy with the gun or the 98lb soccer mom who says you drew down on here over a parking spot at the store? When its your word against theirs every edge helps. Being able to bring up a video of the bat crap crazy lady nearly smashing into in the parking lot then screaming at you and calling police once she sees your gun all while your hands are on a shopping cart calmly walking towards the store.....$$$PRICELESS. Without it, you're going to jail if things go south.
    ↑↑Hopefully anyone who decides to open carry will pay heed to those wise words.↑↑
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  22. #22
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: carry question ?

    The problem isn't so much those who would levy unsubstantiated charges against another rather the essential problem is a system that allows them to do it. Every time I hear the media say that we need to enforce background checks for firearms, I think of what happened to me. I'm not so much against prohibiting those who have had a protection order entered against them from possessing a firearm as much as I am at how easy it is to get an order. A loss of any rights based upon groundless accusations is deplorable. Since this event happened, I've talked to numerous individuals who have had protection orders entered against them...so many that it appears to be a pretty standard occurrence in divorce cases. This is the problem with any law that purports to stem violence; there are always cases where it is applied in a way that goes far beyond its intended purpose.

    Additionally, as I'm sure Glock214 discovered, judges, and to a large degree, attorneys in general, have a very dim view of gun owners. Trying to find a competent divorce attorney, let alone one who will fight for a person's right to possess a firearm, is very difficult...perhaps nearly impossible.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Glock214's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    The problem isn't so much those who would levy unsubstantiated charges against another rather the essential problem is a system that allows them to do it. Every time I hear the media say that we need to enforce background checks for firearms, I think of what happened to me. I'm not so much against prohibiting those who have had a protection order entered against them from possessing a firearm as much as I am at how easy it is to get an order. A loss of any rights based upon groundless accusations is deplorable. Since this event happened, I've talked to numerous individuals who have had protection orders entered against them...so many that it appears to be a pretty standard occurrence in divorce cases. This is the problem with any law that purports to stem violence; there are always cases where it is applied in a way that goes far beyond its intended purpose.

    Additionally, as I'm sure Glock214 discovered, judges, and to a large degree, attorneys in general, have a very dim view of gun owners. Trying to find a competent divorce attorney, let alone one who will fight for a person's right to possess a firearm, is very difficult...perhaps nearly impossible.
    You are correct DrTodd, going through my divorce it was very difficult to find a good attorney who was willing to fight for my rights. I did find one firm, however the judge was on the side of the mother even though my character was being attacked while I did nothing of the sort per my attorney's suggestion. In the end, I feel that I may as well had fought it alone at times. But never the less, I am glad I had attorneys who were willing to back me and did assist in getting me what at least most fathers get in divorce cases. I will never stop fighting for my children or my 2nd amendment right. Never thought I'd be having to fight for my gun rights in the manner I am now. Hoping for the best though, and thankful for the support and advice I have gotten from all on the forum.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Although you may think that is logically analogous, the court may not. The judge MAY have an issue. I know that I have mentioned the issue with you before, Glock214. In terms of "the best interest of the children" the judge could easily, and it may be likely, decide that loaded firearms and young children don't mix. In my case, I almost lost any contact with my children because I had firearms...and he was under the impression I only had a shotgun and a rifle. With the costly intervention of my attorney to the tune of approximately $5k, the judge maintained the then current arrangement if 1) I kept the firearms out of site and 2) I agreed to maintain them in a "broken down" condition, encased, with trigger locks. Additionally all ammunition needed to be stored out of site in a locked container. My ex didn't even know that I had a CPL at that time and my kids didn't know I had a pistol because, even though I OCd around them, they were too young to really explain that to their mother.

    Later, of course they talked to their mom about it...positively, and I get a call from my attorney that my ex is planning to go to court over it. My attorney stated she received a call from my ex's attorney who, because he was sick of dealing with his client, instead called my attorney about the possible request to change parenting time and or custody. I decided then to only CC around them for a while. About 1.5 years ago I decided enough time had gone by and again OCd around my children. After doing so my daughter told me that she overheard my ex talking to an attorney on the phone saying that she wanted to take me to court over the loaded pistols to which my children were exposed... and her new husband was against going to court because they only had the statements from my children that I OCd and he didn't want them to have to testify "against" their dad. Knowing the MONTHS of grief, the expense, and the way I was grilled regarding my having a shotgun and a rifle on my premises despite them being secured to a level that far and above exceeds even the transportation requirements under state law, I now exclusively CC in her presence.
    Screw that ! I can make more kids ... I'd tell the judge to shove it where the sun don't shine.

    But that's me ... Mr. Moderation ...

  25. #25
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,251

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    You are correct DrTodd, going through my divorce it was very difficult to find a good attorney who was willing to fight for my rights. I did find one firm, however the judge was on the side of the mother even though my character was being attacked while I did nothing of the sort per my attorney's suggestion. In the end, I feel that I may as well had fought it alone at times. But never the less, I am glad I had attorneys who were willing to back me and did assist in getting me what at least most fathers get in divorce cases. I will never stop fighting for my children or my 2nd amendment right. Never thought I'd be having to fight for my gun rights in the manner I am now. Hoping for the best though, and thankful for the support and advice I have gotten from all on the forum.
    Use the "out of sight out of mind (hers)" simple solution. Also in sight(video/audio) on mind! CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •