• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasons for Constitutional Carry - Clerks

builtjeep

Ok, let's compile a list of clerks that are not following the laws so that we can take the GA to task this year for Constitutional carry and take it out of these clowns hands altogether.

Amelia - Requiring SASE, Copy of current permit, extra paperwork to be filed with Sheriff

Portsmouth - An applicant was told that he could not apply for renewal more than 60 days prior to expiration.

Colonial Heights - The Clerk tells me that applications must be submitted to the police department, claims 18.2-308.04 authorizes her in this requirement. --- Fixed (tentatively)

Orange County - Claims 45 days doesn't start until the Judge signs the permit.

Accomack County - Issuing permits that don't meet the legal requirements, also including SSN on those permits.

Frederick County - Copy of old permit, additional .40 for postcard, permit to be picked up in person.

Fairfax - Multiple copies of all documents for initial application, and SASE. Copy of old permit for renewal.

Prince George - Requires SASE

Alexandria - SASE required

Prince William - SASE or $.50 for postage

Any others? I know Fairfax at least WAS requiring SASE

Last edited:

cyras21

Frederick County was requiring copy of old permit, an addition .40 for postcard and requiring the applicant to pick up in person.

Blk97F150

Ok, let's compile a list of clerks that are not following the laws so that we can take the GA to task this year for Constitutional carry and take it out of these clowns hands altogether.

Amelia - Requiring SASE, Copy of current permit, extra paperwork to be filed with Sheriff

Portsmouth - An applicant was told that he could not apply for renewal more than 60 days prior to expiration.

Colonial Heights - The Clerk tells me that applications must be submitted to the police department, claims 18.2-308.04 authorizes her in this requirement. (Huh? Clearly states that the COURT, which I assume she is a part of, shall consult with law enforcement.)

Orange County - Claims 45 days doesn't start until the Judge signs the permit.

Accomack County - Issuing permits that don't meet the legal requirements, also including SSN on those permits.

Fairfax requires/requests additional copies of both the application and the certificate of competence, in addition to the SASE for new applications.

For renewals they are also requiring/requesting additional copies of the current permit (which seems silly because they would have issued it...).

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/courts/circuit/pdf/CCR-CWP-10.pdf

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Prince William County
http://www.pwcgov.org/government/courts/circuit/Pages/Concealed-Handgun-Permit.aspx

•The completed application and $50 should be submitted either by mail or in person to: Clerk of Circuit Court, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110-5598. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope or $.50 to cover the cost of mailing.

-----------------------------------------------
Arlington County
http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/ClerkofCircuitCourt/CivilCourt/page64985.aspx
•Pay a fee of $50.00 by cash; by check or money order made payable to the "Clerk of the Circuit Court"; or by credit card (Mastercard or Visa only; a service charge of four (4) percent of the amount paid will be collected for credit card payments).
•Provide evidence of competence with a handgun (i.e. proof from a qualified instructor, range, or military discharge papers)
•Provide the original application (signed and notarized), one (1) copy of the application (after it has been notarized), and two (2) copies of your certificate of competency - if needed.
•Provide one self-addressed, stamped (postage paid) envelope for the permit to be returned to the applicant.

builtjeep

Colonial Heights is fixed:

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM, <sstafford@courts.state.va.us> wrote:
Mr. McNeill,

Your point is well taken. In an effort to streamline the process, we have allowed the applications to be filed with the Police Department, but in light of your objection, we will no longer do that. I alslo have advised my staff that there is no reason that the application cannot be filed by mail as long as it is properly notarized.

Thank you for your concerns.

Stacy L. Stafford
Clerk of Circuit Court
P. O. Box 3401
Colonial Heights, VA 23834
(804) 520-9364

-----Michael McNeill <mmcneill1313@gmail.com> wrote: -----
To: sstafford@courts.state.va.us
Date: 08/09/2013 01:33PM

Subject: Re: Concealed Handgun Permit Renewal

That code section states that the Court shall consult with law enforcement, further, 18.2-308.02 which specifies the application process requirements states that applications are to be submitted to the clerk.

Michael J. McNeill
804-943-1092

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM, <sstafford@courts.state.va.us > wrote:
18.2-308.04

Stacy L. Stafford
Clerk of Circuit Court
P. O. Box 3401
(804) 520-9364

-----Michael McNeill < mmcneill1313@gmail.com> wrote: -----
Date: 08/09/2013 01:02PM

Where does the state code authorize the clerk office to require that applications be sent to anyone other than the clerk?

Michael J. McNeill
804-943-1092

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM, <sstafford@courts.state.va.us > wrote:
Actually our permits go to the Police Department first. They process it give to Sheriff and Commonwealth's Attorney and then we get it.

Stacy L. Stafford
Clerk of Circuit Court
P. O. Box 3401
(804) 520-9364

Date: 08/09/2013 11:35AM

So I can mail the completed application/check to the clerks office as described in VA 18.2-308.010? Good to know.

Thanks!

Michael J. McNeill
804-943-1092

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM, <sstafford@courts.state.va.us > wrote:
You go through the same process as before, except you don't have to take class.

Stacy L. Stafford
Clerk of Circuit Court
P. O. Box 3401
(804) 520-9364

To: SStafford@courts.state.va.us
Date: 08/09/2013 11:17AM
Subject: Concealed Handgun Permit Renewal

Hello,

What is required in order to renew a Concealed Handgun Permit in Colonial Heights?

Regards,

Michael J. McNeill
804-943-1092

Maverick9

As I understand it in Va, many clerks offices seem to 'require' or insist on you sending in your VaDL.

But oddly, the place that the permits are stored is not in the DMV, but in the VCIN (Virginia Criminal Identification Network), which seems strange to me given we're not criminals. LEOs can access that network quite easily in their squads.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

City of Alexandria

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/clerkofcourt/RequirementsSheet.pdf

WHERE & WHEN TO TURN IN APPLICATION: A complete, notarized application shall be filed
with the Alexandria Clerk of Circuit Court (520 King Street, Suite 307) between the hours of 9:00
am to 4:30 pm, Monday thru Friday (except holidays). A SELF-ADDRESSED, STAMPED
ENVELOPE MUST BE INCLUDED with the application to have your Carry Permit mailed back
to you. The permit is mailed from the Circuit Court.

3fgburner

Fairfax - Multiple copies of all documents for initial application, and SASE. Copy of old permit for renewal.

Required multiple copies and an SASE last November, still.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think that the confusion amongst clerks cannot be all "on purpose" and provides ammunition to push for constitutional carry without the need for a permit at all...as they cannot do the permitting process properly.

builtjeep

Bump, any others to report? If things slow down at work I'll try emailing some of these clerks about their policies, maybe Colonial Heights won't be the odd duck.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

77zach

Look up statistics on how much $ residents spend for permits per license revoked for violent conviction. Florida is spending millions. It's exceedingly retarded.