Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the News again

On the News again

KOMO tv just came out and did an interview with me and will air at 5. KIRO also called and said they were coming as well.Just FYI.

Good Going Jim, Your always a good spokes person for us
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/G...?tab=video&c=y

SEATTLE - That customer next to you in Starbucks could be packing more than just a double-shot of caffeine on Friday.

That's because gun rights advocates are celebrating a controversial "Day of Support" for the Seattle-based coffee chain.

It's the latest move from Second Amendment supporters who say Starbucks is ground zero for a gun-rights debate after gun control advocates asked the coffee company to ban gun-toting customers - and the company refused.

Why do they have to wear out that saying "packing heat"? I don't know which is worse packing heat, or "brought CLOSURE to the family". When I hear packing heat, I think of the Mafia. The reporters should get with the sports commentators to come up with some new cliches.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Why do they have to wear out that saying "packing heat"? I don't know which is worse packing heat, or "brought CLOSURE to the family". When I hear packing heat, I think of the Mafia. The reporters should get with the sports commentators to come up with some new cliches.
    Because "packing heat" is synonymous with carrying a firearm, and not just carrying a firearm illegally. I've been stopped several times by officers who knew me and asked specifically if I was "packing heat." I was not restrained, weapon seized, etc, from those instances; it's just a euphemism for carrying a firearm, and that was the way of inquiring.

Perhaps it's a generational vernacular thing. To people in my age group (under 30) "packing", "holding heat," "got heat/heater," simply mean carrying. There is no criminality implied.

At least they didn't say something like "strapped with mad cuete."
    LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

I thought it was a good piece.. The comments are interesting though.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Saw all .75 seconds of Jim's spot on Komo....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

On the News again

I just love how they always have to label everything "controversial" thereby making it controversial when no controversy necessarily exists. I didn't just go to Starbucks yesterday because someone told me to. I go to Starbucks EVERY day and it's never an issue, no controversy. It doesn't matter what location I choose to go to either.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Not only do I go to Starbucks. I go grocery shopping I go to garage sales and I go pay my bills, And I do all my running around. All while " Packing Heat". Unless Its some place that's restricted by federal law. LOL So what's the big stink they have about us carrying into Starbucks.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Not only do I go to Starbucks. I go grocery shopping I go to garage sales and I go pay my bills, And I do all my running around. All while " Packing Heat". Unless Its some place that's restricted by federal law. LOL So what's the big stink they have about us carrying into Starbucks.
    Because there's been protests about it, because it was briefly a national news story.

Why does it seem that everyone here is complaining about the news coverage? Because they said "controversial?" Yes, it's controversial because there is controversy surrounding, as exemplified by the protesters.

If they'd said "people just bought coffee while obeying the law" it wouldn't have made a good story. And it's also the Seattle-area, I hear you gots lots of liberals up there.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

Quote Originally Posted by DEROS72 View Post
    KOMO tv just came out and did an interview with me and will air at 5. KIRO also called and said they were coming as well.Just FYI.
    So do they buy your Coffee when they do these interviews?

Just out of curiosity, how many people have been shot in Starbuck's locations around the country? How many other coffee shops that ban guns have had shootings. What was the policy at "Cafe Racer"?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    There is a history behind it too, Our OC brethren in California were meeting at Pete's coffee (the original owners of Starbucks) and Pete's caved to the Brady campaign, So did Kalifornia Pizza.

From a suggestion by a northwest OC'er ( ) they decided to go to Starbucks, Brady campaign showed up so did the news, they made the same demands to Starbucks and we all know Starbucks response. That irritates them to no end.

Seems to me in my opinion they want their own version of Jim Crow laws.....one not based on melanin but just as bigoted.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Outstanding interview, well said, well done...

Great job Deros, thanks for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Pete's coffee (the original owners of Starbucks)
    The way I hear and read it, Peets only "inspired the founders of Starbucks, never owned Starbucks.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    What was the policy at "Cafe Racer"?
    They had absolutely no policy that was given any public notice when I was there (about a year before this incident.) I cc'd so as not to divert any attention to myself (my son was playing a gig there that evening and I figured the focus should be on him.)

The OC community has so overplayed their hand with this Starbucks thing. What with the unauthorized stickers, t-shirts, organized events at Starbucks, etc.

The company said they just want to follow state law - nothing more. They said they weren't interested in taking anyone's side. Could we just humbly accept that? No, of course not. We had to throw them a main street parade, and appoint them the unwilling Grand Marshall, in a manner of speaking.

Completely overplayed, and it will probably backfire on us.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    The OC community has so overplayed their hand with this Starbucks thing. What with the unauthorized stickers, t-shirts, organized events at Starbucks, etc.

The company said they just want to follow state law - nothing more. They said they weren't interested in taking anyone's side. Could we just humbly accept that? No, of course not. We had to throw them a main street parade, and appoint them the unwilling Grand Marshall, in a manner of speaking.

Completely overplayed, and it will probably backfire on us.
    Whenever you have two sides opposing each other, if one side sits by passively hoping everything will stay the same, the other side will eventually gain ground. The rabid anti-freedom gun-grabbing left has shown it will NEVER stop, they will keep attacking our rights forever, until the end of time.

Ralph Fascist-letti has said time and again that until they can get around state pre-emption by either changing it or changing state law, they are going to push as many businesses as possible to create anti-gun policies at their stores, and this will happen regardless of whether or not we have things like starbucks day and the "i love guns and coffee" meme. If we stop making a big deal out of patronizing pro-2a businesses then eventually we will be locked out everywhere and the only places you'll be able to OC are the sidewalks, parks and your property.

The difference is, is that with this big push around starbucks and any other business we can get in, it helps push back against groups like WA Ceasefire. Without it, the anti-gun groups pushing would eventually convince these businesses to go anti-gun. Starbucks knows it has all the hypocrite liberals addicted and willing to buy their almost no matter what, they aren't seriously worried about losing that business as much as they are worried about gun rights proponents, which are viewed as much more principled and motivated, and losing their business. However, if we stop being motivated, outspoken and very visible, this will tilt the other way. Case in point, look at how few people have showed up at the anti-gun protests at starbucks vs. firearms owners. Also, it's been years since the "boycott" and Starbucks as not banned guns, so obviously they've looked at and analyzed their bottom line.

What was missing from the anti-gun playbook was the most obvious thing the gun grabbers are doing: which is proposing laws and rules that they KNOW will NOT reduce gun violence so after the next mass shooting they can say "see? we need MORE" and keep getting more until a total ban or an attempt to repeal the 2nd Amendment. This is a long-term war.

In a war, you cannot stay still, apathy is death. That's more akin to the B.O.H.I.C.A. movement.
    Last edited by Alpine; 08-12-2013 at 01:18 PM.

If we stop making a big deal out of patronizing pro-2a businesses then eventually we will be locked out everywhere and the only places you'll be able to OC are the sidewalks, parks and your property.
    But Starbucks is not a "pro-2a" business, and they have asked not to be represented as such. They are a "follow state law" business. The OC movement has coopted Starbucks and put words in their mouth - an unethical thing to do. I predict it will backfire. That's my opinion. If Starbucks does go anti and we boycott, few will notice or care, but we will regret turning over that rock.

But Starbucks is not a "pro-2a" business, and they have asked not to be represented as such. They are a "follow state law" business. The OC movement has coopted Starbucks and put words in their mouth - an unethical thing to do. I predict it will backfire. That's my opinion. If Starbucks does go anti and we boycott, few will notice or care, but we will regret turning over that rock.
    Then it would have happened by now.

I can tell you this, from my analysis if we weren't pushing patronage of Starbucks I think that they would eventually cave in to the Seattle libs if we weren't there to keep pushing back.

Also, saying they "follow state law" is disingenuous. State law allows them as private property owners to forbid weapons from their property. Costco is following state law and they ban firearms. That is why I say any place that allows firearms is pro-2A as they have the option, under state law, to not allow firearms.

As a community we do NOT need to walk around on egg shells and begging people to let me keep our rights, or hoping that if we just keep our heads down and stay quiet that "no one will notice us." That's a surrender mentality.
    Last edited by Alpine; 08-12-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 509rifas
    I've been stopped several times by officers who knew me and asked specifically if I was "packing heat."
    Unless it was obvious they were joking, I'd think they weren't trained very well.

Perhaps it's a generational vernacular thing. To people in my age group (under 30) "packing", "holding heat," "got heat/heater," simply mean carrying. There is no criminality implied.
    I see using proper terms as showing who's educated about the topic & who rides the short bus.
    Gun grabbers usually aren't educated about guns, so use words like "packing heat", "toting", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner
    in my opinion they want their own version of Jim Crow laws... one not based on melanin but just as bigoted.
    Maybe if we had revolver-only events they'd be happier?
    Or ones where only stainless guns were welcome?
    Or my favorite, tactical tupperware only!
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

As a community we do NOT need to walk around on egg shells and begging people to let me keep our rights, or hoping that if we just keep our heads down and stay quiet that "no one will notice us." That's a surrender mentality.
    Fine but don't put words in other people's mouths. That's unethical.

+1

Wikipedia:
    In 2010, the Brady Campaign proposed a boycott of Starbucks due to their gun policy.[211][212] At that time, Starbucks released a statement saying "We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. That means we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don't exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores."
    I believe it's disingenuous to promote Starbucks as a pro-2A establishment, and the further bastardization of its policies by the media and both sides of the issue will ultimately make Starbucks choose a policy that neither side will like. It's a no-win situation for Starbucks and it's tried to state that.

Oh, if anyone would like to inform Dr. Sandy Brown of the "backward" laws of this state (and assuming his view extends to the Constitution), here's his email: sandy@firstchurchseattle.org
    Last edited by mikeyb; 08-12-2013 at 06:21 PM.

I agree. There are many businesses that just follow state law but we don't harvest their logo for our gain. Walmart, Home Depot, Dick's, etc. Why haven't we used any of them?
    By intentionally twisting what these companies have said we are only subverting our own goal.
    In my eyes it is no different than telling a child they may have one cookie and they take the cookie and a cupcake.

By the way, Costco does not comply with State law when they arbitrarily say, "No Firearms Allowed". We're talking about about firearm laws not private property laws.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

You guys understand that "following state law" doesn't mean anything with regard to firearms in WA right?

In WA, private property owners do not have to allow open or concealed carry, or they can.

So just saying that "starbucks/random business/purple octopus follows stats law" means they are acting within the law by either allowing firearms, or not allowing it.

An example of starbucks NOT following state law would be them stating they refused to do business with certain ethnicities or requiring patrons to perform illegal actions.

I am not trying to be a semantics nerd here, I am trying to point out that starbucks would be perfectly legally justified, under state law, in banning firearms from their stores but they don't. That's key.
    Last edited by Alpine; 08-12-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast