• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the News again

DEROS72

KOMO tv just came out and did an interview with me and will air at 5. KIRO also called and said they were coming as well.Just FYI.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...rbucks-on-Friday-218990411.html?tab=video&c=y

SEATTLE - That customer next to you in Starbucks could be packing more than just a double-shot of caffeine on Friday.

That's because gun rights advocates are celebrating a controversial "Day of Support" for the Seattle-based coffee chain.

It's the latest move from Second Amendment supporters who say Starbucks is ground zero for a gun-rights debate after gun control advocates asked the coffee company to ban gun-toting customers - and the company refused.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Why do they have to wear out that saying "packing heat"? I don't know which is worse packing heat, or "brought CLOSURE to the family". When I hear packing heat, I think of the Mafia. The reporters should get with the sports commentators to come up with some new cliches.

509rifas

Why do they have to wear out that saying "packing heat"? I don't know which is worse packing heat, or "brought CLOSURE to the family". When I hear packing heat, I think of the Mafia. The reporters should get with the sports commentators to come up with some new cliches.

Because "packing heat" is synonymous with carrying a firearm, and not just carrying a firearm illegally. I've been stopped several times by officers who knew me and asked specifically if I was "packing heat." I was not restrained, weapon seized, etc, from those instances; it's just a euphemism for carrying a firearm, and that was the way of inquiring.

Perhaps it's a generational vernacular thing. To people in my age group (under 30) "packing", "holding heat," "got heat/heater," simply mean carrying. There is no criminality implied.

At least they didn't say something like "strapped with mad cuete."

tombrewster421

I just love how they always have to label everything "controversial" thereby making it controversial when no controversy necessarily exists. I didn't just go to Starbucks yesterday because someone told me to. I go to Starbucks EVERY day and it's never an issue, no controversy. It doesn't matter what location I choose to go to either.

1911er

Not only do I go to Starbucks. I go grocery shopping I go to garage sales and I go pay my bills, And I do all my running around. All while " Packing Heat". Unless Its some place that's restricted by federal law. LOL So what's the big stink they have about us carrying into Starbucks.

509rifas

Not only do I go to Starbucks. I go grocery shopping I go to garage sales and I go pay my bills, And I do all my running around. All while " Packing Heat". Unless Its some place that's restricted by federal law. LOL So what's the big stink they have about us carrying into Starbucks.

Because there's been protests about it, because it was briefly a national news story.

Why does it seem that everyone here is complaining about the news coverage? Because they said "controversial?" Yes, it's controversial because there is controversy surrounding, as exemplified by the protesters.

If they'd said "people just bought coffee while obeying the law" it wouldn't have made a good story. And it's also the Seattle-area, I hear you gots lots of liberals up there.

amlevin

KOMO tv just came out and did an interview with me and will air at 5. KIRO also called and said they were coming as well.Just FYI.

So do they buy your Coffee when they do these interviews?

Just out of curiosity, how many people have been shot in Starbuck's locations around the country? How many other coffee shops that ban guns have had shootings. What was the policy at "Cafe Racer"?

sudden valley gunner

There is a history behind it too, Our OC brethren in California were meeting at Pete's coffee (the original owners of Starbucks) and Pete's caved to the Brady campaign, So did Kalifornia Pizza.

From a suggestion by a northwest OC'er ( ;);)) they decided to go to Starbucks, Brady campaign showed up so did the news, they made the same demands to Starbucks and we all know Starbucks response. That irritates them to no end.

Seems to me in my opinion they want their own version of Jim Crow laws.....one not based on melanin but just as bigoted.

kparker

What was the policy at "Cafe Racer"?

They had absolutely no policy that was given any public notice when I was there (about a year before this incident.) I cc'd so as not to divert any attention to myself (my son was playing a gig there that evening and I figured the focus should be on him.)

deanf

The OC community has so overplayed their hand with this Starbucks thing. What with the unauthorized stickers, t-shirts, organized events at Starbucks, etc.

The company said they just want to follow state law - nothing more. They said they weren't interested in taking anyone's side. Could we just humbly accept that? No, of course not. We had to throw them a main street parade, and appoint them the unwilling Grand Marshall, in a manner of speaking.

Completely overplayed, and it will probably backfire on us.

Alpine

The OC community has so overplayed their hand with this Starbucks thing. What with the unauthorized stickers, t-shirts, organized events at Starbucks, etc.

The company said they just want to follow state law - nothing more. They said they weren't interested in taking anyone's side. Could we just humbly accept that? No, of course not. We had to throw them a main street parade, and appoint them the unwilling Grand Marshall, in a manner of speaking.

Completely overplayed, and it will probably backfire on us.

Whenever you have two sides opposing each other, if one side sits by passively hoping everything will stay the same, the other side will eventually gain ground. The rabid anti-freedom gun-grabbing left has shown it will NEVER stop, they will keep attacking our rights forever, until the end of time.

Ralph Fascist-letti has said time and again that until they can get around state pre-emption by either changing it or changing state law, they are going to push as many businesses as possible to create anti-gun policies at their stores, and this will happen regardless of whether or not we have things like starbucks day and the "i love guns and coffee" meme. If we stop making a big deal out of patronizing pro-2a businesses then eventually we will be locked out everywhere and the only places you'll be able to OC are the sidewalks, parks and your property.

The difference is, is that with this big push around starbucks and any other business we can get in, it helps push back against groups like WA Ceasefire. Without it, the anti-gun groups pushing would eventually convince these businesses to go anti-gun. Starbucks knows it has all the hypocrite liberals addicted and willing to buy their almost no matter what, they aren't seriously worried about losing that business as much as they are worried about gun rights proponents, which are viewed as much more principled and motivated, and losing their business. However, if we stop being motivated, outspoken and very visible, this will tilt the other way. Case in point, look at how few people have showed up at the anti-gun protests at starbucks vs. firearms owners. Also, it's been years since the "boycott" and Starbucks as not banned guns, so obviously they've looked at and analyzed their bottom line.

What was missing from the anti-gun playbook was the most obvious thing the gun grabbers are doing: which is proposing laws and rules that they KNOW will NOT reduce gun violence so after the next mass shooting they can say "see? we need MORE" and keep getting more until a total ban or an attempt to repeal the 2nd Amendment. This is a long-term war.

In a war, you cannot stay still, apathy is death. That's more akin to the B.O.H.I.C.A. movement.

Last edited:

deanf

If we stop making a big deal out of patronizing pro-2a businesses then eventually we will be locked out everywhere and the only places you'll be able to OC are the sidewalks, parks and your property.

But Starbucks is not a "pro-2a" business, and they have asked not to be represented as such. They are a "follow state law" business. The OC movement has coopted Starbucks and put words in their mouth - an unethical thing to do. I predict it will backfire. That's my opinion. If Starbucks does go anti and we boycott, few will notice or care, but we will regret turning over that rock.

Alpine

But Starbucks is not a "pro-2a" business, and they have asked not to be represented as such. They are a "follow state law" business. The OC movement has coopted Starbucks and put words in their mouth - an unethical thing to do. I predict it will backfire. That's my opinion. If Starbucks does go anti and we boycott, few will notice or care, but we will regret turning over that rock.

Then it would have happened by now.

I can tell you this, from my analysis if we weren't pushing patronage of Starbucks I think that they would eventually cave in to the Seattle libs if we weren't there to keep pushing back.

Also, saying they "follow state law" is disingenuous. State law allows them as private property owners to forbid weapons from their property. Costco is following state law and they ban firearms. That is why I say any place that allows firearms is pro-2A as they have the option, under state law, to not allow firearms.

As a community we do NOT need to walk around on egg shells and begging people to let me keep our rights, or hoping that if we just keep our heads down and stay quiet that "no one will notice us." That's a surrender mentality.

Last edited: