• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UPDATED/NEW Newport News OC Dinner - 17 Aug 2013 - 7pm @ Longhorn Steakhouse

AFCop

LongHorn Steakhouse
12581 Jefferson Ave, Newport News

First time to set something up... For those of us who can't always make it out to Virginia Beach or Richmond on the regular. This shouldn't be construed to limit those of you in the Richmond, VB or any other crowds from coming out. The more the merrier...

Skid, Peter, Grape, Scouser and the other Richmond guys/gals, this is a special invite where the wife and I can actually engage in conversation and not be surrounded by our team of minors... lol. I know its right behind yours but I'm limited on my days... You know Uncle Sam doesn't like to share what they own..

Saturday was selected after some sage advise to make it more palatable to travelers.

For those with kids, this is family friendly, I am just choosing to ditch my herd because they take up their own 8 person table... lol

Last edited by a moderator:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Still fits in the calendar, seeing as how the Nobel Prize Committee has not contacted me asking for a meeting that date.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Now there is a date and time with which we can work.

DoubleTap and I can both attend. You can tell us apart, she is the better looking one.

XDS45

Don't think ill be able to make it as much as I would like to. I have a new little one scheduled to be here on the 22nd. Ill try and make it up to Richmond one Saturday for breakfast.

45acpForMe

I should be able to make this dinner. I have been itching for an OC dinner but too busy to figure out a time to schedule one. If I can coax my daughters into attending for a steak we may be a group of three. :)

AFCop

Please RSVP by Wednesday

Please let me know by Wednesday (if you haven't already) if you are planning to attend so I can give Longhorn an idea. Obviously, we are open to those who can make it BUT couldn't commit. Just need an idea, thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please let me know by Wednesday (if you haven't already) if you are planning to attend so I can give Longhorn an idea. Obviously, we are open to those who can make it BUT couldn't commit. Just need an idea, thanks!

We call them as soon as we know the date and give them a guestimate (10?) then call the location manager early in the day of the event to give them a final confirmed figure + tell them we might have some walk-ins. That way they can have us set up and staff prepared.

Example: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...eater-Richmond-Area-OC-Dinner-8-13-13-at-7-pm

AFCop

2 days away

Just a friendly reminder that we are 2 days away from the Newport News dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse on Jefferson Ave...

Looking forward to getting to hang out with like minded people!

Lastly, Not to late to RSVP!

AFCop

T-Minus 4.5 hours and counting

Been working with the Manager at Longhorn, hoping it goes off without too many hitches... We will get there about 6:20, anyone wanting to show up before 7 to socialize is welcome with the hopes of being seated as close to 7 as possible.

Excited to meet everyone and, if all goes well, hopefully we can get something going on a more regular basis for us here in the SE.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hate to miss it, but I cannot sit in the big comfy chair without significant application of pain relief. Attempting to travel would be unsafe for me as well as for anything located within possibly 20 yards of the right-of-way. For the morbidly curious - sciatica.

stay safe.

AFCop

Hate to miss it, but I cannot sit in the big comfy chair without significant application of pain relief. Attempting to travel would be unsafe for me as well as for anything located within possibly 20 yards of the right-of-way. For the morbidly curious - sciatica.

stay safe.

Tis a shame Skid... take care of yourself and I hope you get to feeling better.

2a4all

As usual, great time. Just too bad they couldn't put tables together (they're round). Sheepdogs of the Round Tables? I suppose it's better than Geeks of the Trig Tables. (Just as tales of the Round Table are from an earlier era, you heave to be "of a certain age" to remember Trig Tables.)

Good to see everyone again.

Good to meet you, AFcop. Thanks for setting this up.

AFCop

Thanks to everyone for coming out.

We had a great turnout and represented various parts of the Commonwealth from Suffolk to Gloucester and Virginia Beach up to Richmond... Special shout out to Grape and DoubleTap for receiving the furthest traveled award. 21 in total attended, good fellowship and dining experience. Longhorn was great and for not having reservations, they were awesomely accommodating and we were seated minutes before 7pm...

Again, thanks to everyone who came out and I apologize if I didn't make it around to personally thank you for coming out. Hope to see you all around or at the next OC meet up.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Had a great time meeting everyone. My daughter was complaining that she ate too much on the way home. :) The food was really good but the price was a bit higher than expected. After leaving I was wondering if I got over charged for my daughter's dish and whether they added tip into the bill or not. I will eat there again since the food is so good but may have to limit the number of visits to special occasions.

Nice to see Grapeshot and associate were able to make the trip. Sorry Skidmark had to miss it. I definitely recommend the parmesan encrusted asparagus!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We thoroughly enjoyed the evening - saw some old friends and made some new ones. DoubleTap wanted to take the scenic route home so we traveled old Rt 60 then made a few passes around Shockoe Bottom to see how the ol' haunts are doing.....some things never change.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.