Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conceal Carry Permit Question

Conceal Carry Permit Question

I'd like to first off say Hello to everyone as I'm new to the forum. I love coming here, a lot of great information provided.

Second, I've already submitted my paper to get my CHP, it's been about 3 weeks now and the wait is killing. My question is, when waiting for the permit is it 45 calendar days (including weekends/holidays, ect) or is it Business days (M-F)? I've been looking around to try and find the proper wording, but I've been having trouble trying to figure it out. Just wondering if anyone knew?

Thanks in advance for the help.

18.2-308.04

C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall be in accordance with 18.2-308.08. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Welcome to the site Peezy.

Do you carry now or are you just waiting?

Welcome to OCDO. Go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERTS free email newsletter if not joining right away.

Aint it grand that the folks on a forum dedicated to the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun are willing to help you with an issue related to concealed carry? Why the anxiety?

And congratulations on catching peter nap on his good minute for the week. After you have been here a while you will understand how special that was.

Have you checked your calendar to see if you can make the upcoming NN OC dinner? http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...orn-Steakhouse It's a great way to meet folks. Hope you can make it so I can meet you in person.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by XDS45 View Post
    18.2-308.04

C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall be in accordance with 18.2-308.08. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.
    That answers it for me, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Welcome to the site Peezy.

Do you carry now or are you just waiting?
    Thank you.

And I use to OC my S&W Sigma Series Pistol all the time, but I slowed down on carrying for a little while. I just recently picked up a Beretta PX4 Compact, and ordered the holster for it yesterday. I'm going to be primarily OCing, but applied for the CHP as option, just in case I want to CC for time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peezy View Post
    That answers it for me, thank you.
    No problem. Welcome to OCDO! I got mine on day 43, but I open carry almost exclusively just got the permit so I could carry in TN when I go home.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. Go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERTS free email newsletter if not joining right away.

Aint it grand that the folks on a forum dedicated to the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun are willing to help you with an issue related to concealed carry? Why the anxiety?

And congratulations on catching peter nap on his good minute for the week. After you have been here a while you will understand how special that was.

Have you checked your calendar to see if you can make the upcoming NN OC dinner? http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...orn-Steakhouse It's a great way to meet folks. Hope you can make it so I can meet you in person.

stay safe.
    I'm going to sign up for the VCDL here shortly, have a few friends who are already members.

I definitely appreciate the help finding the answer to my question, I'm a firm believe that if someone is asking a question and you know the answer, then share the knowledge. It's not really anxiety, more like impatience lol. I'm not a real big fan on waiting for stuff to get mailed/shipped to me. As far as the dinner I'd love to make it and meet everyone in person, but we're celebrating my brothers birthday on the 17th. But maybe I can talk him into a surprise dinner at Longhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by XDS45 View Post
    No problem. Welcome to OCDO! I got mine on day 43, but I open carry almost exclusively just got the permit so I could carry in TN when I go home.
    Much appreciated

Yeah I enjoy OCing but I'd also like the option to CC for whatever reason. I have a friend who did not receive his permit until day 55. When I turned my application in the clerk told me they had behind on approving permits, and they recently caught up and it shouldn't take to long for me to get it.
    Last edited by Peezy; 08-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Much appreciated

Yeah I enjoy OCing but I'd also like the option to CC for whatever reason. I have a friend who did receive his permit until day 55. When I turned my application in the clerk told me they had behind on approving permits, and they recently caught up and it shouldn't take to long for me to get it.
    Welcome! Also, even if you only OC having the CHP also protects you. You should review the VA and Federal laws. The CHP allows me to walk off my property OCing without becoming a felon. My property is entirely within the 1,000 foot distance from a school. I can OC on my property but if step onto public land (sidewalk) I would be a felon unless I had a CHP...

I got my permit in Loudoun County in 11 days. Although this was last summer before the surge in applications.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM15A View Post
    Welcome! Also, even if you only OC having the CHP also protects you. You should review the VA and Federal laws. The CHP allows me to walk off my property OCing without becoming a felon. My property is entirely within the 1,000 foot distance from a school. I can OC on my property but if step onto public land (sidewalk) I would be a felon unless I had a CHP...
    Thank you. I'll look into the laws, because I didn't know. Ironically, my Dad lives about 200 feet from a high school. If you open up the privacy fence door and walk about 10 feet then you're actually on school property. So that's good to know just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by blahpony View Post
    I got my permit in Loudoun County in 11 days. Although this was last summer before the surge in applications.
    11 days that's one hell of a turn around. Wish Newport News was that fast.

Didnt get mine in the mail until they mailed it... on the 45th day

Quote Originally Posted by AFCop View Post
    Didnt get mine in the mail until they mailed it... on the 45th day
    That's probably what happened with my friends permit. Well the waiting game goes on lol.

I just got my renewal back from Stafford County in 19 days, much quicker than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_h View Post
    I just got my renewal back from Stafford County in 19 days, much quicker than I expected.
    Yeah just hit the 30 day mark, still no CWP...the wait continues lol.

Yeah just hit the 30 day mark, still no CWP...the wait continues lol.
    That's bad!
    I'd be very concerned if I were you. You don't have any outstanding warrants, do you?

That's bad!
    I'd be very concerned if I were you. You don't have any outstanding warrants, do you?

No sir, no criminal record at all. Tomorrow marks the 45th day so, we shall see if it shows up in the mail otherwise, I will be calling the county clerks office.

The only thing I do have is a judgement against me for a credit card that I didn't pay (it wasn't because I couldn't afford it, but I felt they did something unfair). Now that I look back I should have payed it but I was young. Anyway, I just found out about it this month and am in the process of taking care of it. Will that judgement effect weather I get my CHP? Thats a civil matter not criminal though.
    Last edited by Peezy; 09-03-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Re: Conceal Carry Permit Question

No sir, no criminal record at all. Tomorrow marks the 45th day so, we shall see if it shows up in the mail otherwise, I will be calling the county clerks office.

The only thing I do have is a judgement against me for a credit card that I didn't pay (it wasn't because I couldn't afford it, but I felt they did something unfair). Now that I look back I should have payed it but I was young. Anyway, I just found out about it this month and am in the process of taking care of it. Will that judgement effect weather I get my CHP? Thats a civil matter not criminal though.
    Shouldn't.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Shouldn't.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2
    I didn't think it would.

No Peezy, the Judgment makes no difference.
    I was just pulling your leg. As noted early in this thread, I'm not a permit person

No Peezy, the Judgment makes no difference.
    I was just pulling your leg. As noted early in this thread, I'm not a permit person
    Lol you had me going, I was thinking to myself wonder if that make a difference or not. Good one sir, my hats off to you.

It's calendar days, keeping in mind that the date of filing is day zero and day one is the next day. Also that if day 45 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, legal (Virginia) holiday (not the same list as the U.S. uses), or another day on which the clerk's office is closed for some reason (in NoVa, that's the federal holidays), then the end-date is the next available business day on which the clerk's office is open.

Suggestion for those thinking of filing: make two complete duplicate originals of your application, and take both to the clerk's office in person. File one and get the clerk to "file-stamp" the other for your records. Sometimes they balk at that if you're not an attorney, but they're supposed to do it and if you get any flack, ask to speak to THE clerk (i.e, the elected official in charge of the office). That file-stamped copy will prove that you filed the document on a particular day, so if they're late in issuing your permit, you can use that to show you are authorized - you're supposed to go to the clerk's office to get a copy made with a notation on it, but I maintain that the file-stamped duplicate original is sufficient evidence if push comes to shove.

If you didn't do what I suggest when you filed, you can go back to the clerk's office and get a certified copy of your application for fifty cents a page plus two dollars for the certification. It's insurance.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

The Clerk's office gives you a receipt when you hand over your $50 fee. It should specify what the $50 was received for. If not, get the person who gives you the receipt to write on the receipt what the monery was for, and to sign and date it.

One is none and two is one works for proofs of filing as well as for BUGs and other essential equipment.

But most importantly of all - make a file of your application and remember where you put it.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast