• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry Permit Question

Peezy

I'd like to first off say Hello to everyone as I'm new to the forum. I love coming here, a lot of great information provided.

Second, I've already submitted my paper to get my CHP, it's been about 3 weeks now and the wait is killing. My question is, when waiting for the permit is it 45 calendar days (including weekends/holidays, ect) or is it Business days (M-F)? I've been looking around to try and find the proper wording, but I've been having trouble trying to figure it out. Just wondering if anyone knew?

Thanks in advance for the help.

XDS45

18.2-308.04

C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall be in accordance with § 18.2-308.08. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERTS free email newsletter if not joining right away.

Aint it grand that the folks on a forum dedicated to the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun are willing to help you with an issue related to concealed carry? Why the anxiety?

And congratulations on catching peter nap on his good minute for the week. After you have been here a while you will understand how special that was.

Have you checked your calendar to see if you can make the upcoming NN OC dinner? http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...OC-Dinner-17-Aug-2013-7pm-Longhorn-Steakhouse It's a great way to meet folks. Hope you can make it so I can meet you in person.

stay safe.

Peezy

18.2-308.04

C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall be in accordance with § 18.2-308.08. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

That answers it for me, thank you.

Peezy

Welcome to the site Peezy.

Do you carry now or are you just waiting?

Thank you.

And I use to OC my S&W Sigma Series Pistol all the time, but I slowed down on carrying for a little while. I just recently picked up a Beretta PX4 Compact, and ordered the holster for it yesterday. I'm going to be primarily OCing, but applied for the CHP as option, just in case I want to CC for time to time.

Peezy

Welcome to OCDO. Go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERTS free email newsletter if not joining right away.

Aint it grand that the folks on a forum dedicated to the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun are willing to help you with an issue related to concealed carry? Why the anxiety?

And congratulations on catching peter nap on his good minute for the week. After you have been here a while you will understand how special that was.

Have you checked your calendar to see if you can make the upcoming NN OC dinner? http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...OC-Dinner-17-Aug-2013-7pm-Longhorn-Steakhouse It's a great way to meet folks. Hope you can make it so I can meet you in person.

stay safe.

I'm going to sign up for the VCDL here shortly, have a few friends who are already members.

I definitely appreciate the help finding the answer to my question, I'm a firm believe that if someone is asking a question and you know the answer, then share the knowledge. It's not really anxiety, more like impatience lol. I'm not a real big fan on waiting for stuff to get mailed/shipped to me. As far as the dinner I'd love to make it and meet everyone in person, but we're celebrating my brothers birthday on the 17th. But maybe I can talk him into a surprise dinner at Longhorn.

Peezy

No problem. Welcome to OCDO! I got mine on day 43, but I open carry almost exclusively just got the permit so I could carry in TN when I go home.

Much appreciated

Yeah I enjoy OCing but I'd also like the option to CC for whatever reason. I have a friend who did not receive his permit until day 55. When I turned my application in the clerk told me they had behind on approving permits, and they recently caught up and it shouldn't take to long for me to get it.

Last edited:

JohnM15A

Much appreciated

Yeah I enjoy OCing but I'd also like the option to CC for whatever reason. I have a friend who did receive his permit until day 55. When I turned my application in the clerk told me they had behind on approving permits, and they recently caught up and it shouldn't take to long for me to get it.

Welcome! Also, even if you only OC having the CHP also protects you. You should review the VA and Federal laws. The CHP allows me to walk off my property OCing without becoming a felon. My property is entirely within the 1,000 foot distance from a school. I can OC on my property but if step onto public land (sidewalk) I would be a felon unless I had a CHP...

blahpony

I got my permit in Loudoun County in 11 days. Although this was last summer before the surge in applications.

Peezy

Welcome! Also, even if you only OC having the CHP also protects you. You should review the VA and Federal laws. The CHP allows me to walk off my property OCing without becoming a felon. My property is entirely within the 1,000 foot distance from a school. I can OC on my property but if step onto public land (sidewalk) I would be a felon unless I had a CHP...

Thank you. I'll look into the laws, because I didn't know. Ironically, my Dad lives about 200 feet from a high school. If you open up the privacy fence door and walk about 10 feet then you're actually on school property. So that's good to know just in case.

Peezy

That's bad!
I'd be very concerned if I were you. You don't have any outstanding warrants, do you?

:uhoh:

No sir, no criminal record at all. Tomorrow marks the 45th day so, we shall see if it shows up in the mail otherwise, I will be calling the county clerks office.

The only thing I do have is a judgement against me for a credit card that I didn't pay (it wasn't because I couldn't afford it, but I felt they did something unfair). Now that I look back I should have payed it but I was young. Anyway, I just found out about it this month and am in the process of taking care of it. Will that judgement effect weather I get my CHP? Thats a civil matter not criminal though.

Last edited:

mpguy

No sir, no criminal record at all. Tomorrow marks the 45th day so, we shall see if it shows up in the mail otherwise, I will be calling the county clerks office.

The only thing I do have is a judgement against me for a credit card that I didn't pay (it wasn't because I couldn't afford it, but I felt they did something unfair). Now that I look back I should have payed it but I was young. Anyway, I just found out about it this month and am in the process of taking care of it. Will that judgement effect weather I get my CHP? Thats a civil matter not criminal though.

Shouldn't.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2