• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry Permit Question

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No sir, no criminal record at all. Tomorrow marks the 45th day so, we shall see if it shows up in the mail otherwise, I will be calling the county clerks office.

The only thing I do have is a judgement against me for a credit card that I didn't pay (it wasn't because I couldn't afford it, but I felt they did something unfair). Now that I look back I should have payed it but I was young. Anyway, I just found out about it this month and am in the process of taking care of it. Will that judgement effect weather I get my CHP? Thats a civil matter not criminal though.

No Peezy, the Judgment makes no difference.
I was just pulling your leg. As noted early in this thread, I'm not a permit person:lol:

Peezy

No Peezy, the Judgment makes no difference.
I was just pulling your leg. As noted early in this thread, I'm not a permit person:lol:

Lol you had me going, I was thinking to myself wonder if that make a difference or not. Good one sir, my hats off to you.

user

Accomplished Advocate
It's calendar days, keeping in mind that the date of filing is day zero and day one is the next day. Also that if day 45 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, legal (Virginia) holiday (not the same list as the U.S. uses), or another day on which the clerk's office is closed for some reason (in NoVa, that's the federal holidays), then the end-date is the next available business day on which the clerk's office is open.

Suggestion for those thinking of filing: make two complete duplicate originals of your application, and take both to the clerk's office in person. File one and get the clerk to "file-stamp" the other for your records. Sometimes they balk at that if you're not an attorney, but they're supposed to do it and if you get any flack, ask to speak to THE clerk (i.e, the elected official in charge of the office). That file-stamped copy will prove that you filed the document on a particular day, so if they're late in issuing your permit, you can use that to show you are authorized - you're supposed to go to the clerk's office to get a copy made with a notation on it, but I maintain that the file-stamped duplicate original is sufficient evidence if push comes to shove.

If you didn't do what I suggest when you filed, you can go back to the clerk's office and get a certified copy of your application for fifty cents a page plus two dollars for the certification. It's insurance.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The Clerk's office gives you a receipt when you hand over your $50 fee. It should specify what the $50 was received for. If not, get the person who gives you the receipt to write on the receipt what the monery was for, and to sign and date it.

One is none and two is one works for proofs of filing as well as for BUGs and other essential equipment.

But most importantly of all - make a file of your application and remember where you put it.

stay safe.

Peezy

It's calendar days, keeping in mind that the date of filing is day zero and day one is the next day. Also that if day 45 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, legal (Virginia) holiday (not the same list as the U.S. uses), or another day on which the clerk's office is closed for some reason (in NoVa, that's the federal holidays), then the end-date is the next available business day on which the clerk's office is open.

Suggestion for those thinking of filing: make two complete duplicate originals of your application, and take both to the clerk's office in person. File one and get the clerk to "file-stamp" the other for your records. Sometimes they balk at that if you're not an attorney, but they're supposed to do it and if you get any flack, ask to speak to THE clerk (i.e, the elected official in charge of the office). That file-stamped copy will prove that you filed the document on a particular day, so if they're late in issuing your permit, you can use that to show you are authorized - you're supposed to go to the clerk's office to get a copy made with a notation on it, but I maintain that the file-stamped duplicate original is sufficient evidence if push comes to shove.

If you didn't do what I suggest when you filed, you can go back to the clerk's office and get a certified copy of your application for fifty cents a page plus two dollars for the certification. It's insurance.

That's some good info, I wish I would have known that when I filed mine.

The Clerk's office gives you a receipt when you hand over your $50 fee. It should specify what the $50 was received for. If not, get the person who gives you the receipt to write on the receipt what the monery was for, and to sign and date it.

One is none and two is one works for proofs of filing as well as for BUGs and other essential equipment.

But most importantly of all - make a file of your application and remember where you put it.

stay safe.

I made sure to keep my receipt from the Clerks office when I went and paid, for a just in case matter.

With that being said, I just received my CWP in the mail today, which ironically is the 45th day. Although, the CWP says it was issued on 8-26-13. So I probably could have called, and went to pick it up. But, doesn't really matter anymore.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's some good info, I wish I would have known that when I filed mine.

I made sure to keep my receipt from the Clerks office when I went and paid, for a just in case matter.

With that being said, I just received my CWP in the mail today, which ironically is the 45th day. Although, the CWP says it was issued on 8-26-13. So I probably could have called, and went to pick it up. But, doesn't really matter anymore.

How did you get a CWP?:eek:

Peezy

Lol sorry I've heard called all kinds of things from people so some times I get confused myself. But We all know it CHP :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"words have meaning"....I guess letters do too.... :)

Lol sorry I've heard called all kinds of things from people so some times I get confused myself. But We all know it CHP :)
We had a CWP designation (concealed weapons permit) up until about 1995 - could legally conceal more than just a handgun. Correctly, we have a CHP = concealed handgun permit. The old CWP law had a lot of bagged attached to it: was may issue, required personal interviews and reasons for requesting, required listing serial numbers of all that might be carried, finger prints etc.

A permit is also referred to as a license (inaccurate in Va), P4P (perks for permit), CCP (concealed carry permit), carry card........

We don't need no steekin' permits - we need Constitutional Carry!

Peezy

We had a CWP designation (concealed weapons permit) up until about 1995 - could legally conceal more than just a handgun. Correctly, we have a CHP = concealed handgun permit. The old CWP law had a lot of bagged attached to it: was may issue, required personal interviews and reasons for requesting, required listing serial numbers of all that might be carried, finger prints etc.

A permit is also referred to as a license (inaccurate in Va), P4P (perks for permit), CCP (concealed carry permit), carry card........

We don't need no steekin' permits - we need Constitutional Carry!

I didn't know that, see you learn something new everyday. And this forum is a great place to do so, lots of awesome information. And friendly people willing to help.

you will do well here. You take a little ribbing in stride.

Thank you, sir. Not my first time on a forum I know how it goes. Plus it's all in good fun.