• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Open Carry in NOLA area of LA

sfla4x4

Hello everyone. I will be visiting NOLA in the next few weeks and would like to take my gun with me when I visit the area. I hold a CWL in Florida and I know that I can conceal carry in LA and I know that LA is friendly to Open Carry, but I am not sure if their are any issues with doing so in the NOLA area of the State. If you guys could educate me on this item it would be great. Any tips you could provide as locals would be welcome. I don't want to end up being arrested on my vacation. Thanks.

Chap

I wouldn't think Bourbon street or surrounding party streets would be a good idea. I know the below says
( establishment ) but I wouldn't take the chance downtown. Hopefully someone who lives there might give you more solid info. I lived there for four years,, enjoy your visit.

" Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises "

Chap

sfla4x4

Chap, thanks for your input. I may make some phone calls next week to the NOLA Police Department, as they may be able to provide some insight as well. I am hoping some other NOLA gun owners will chime in. Thanks again.

KBCraig

I may make some phone calls next week to the NOLA Police Department

Don't bother. Seriously.

If you get a legally correct answer (highly doubtful), the official PR word from HQ is guaranteed to have almost no bearing at all on the conduct of individual officers in the French Quarter, or any other tourism district.

NOLA officially doesn't give a crap about state law. They may be constrained by it in the end, but only after a fight.

Even Louisiana activists hesitate to OC in NOLA. If you're visiting from out of state, are you prepared to tie up a lot of time, travel, and money to prove you're in the right?

sfla4x4

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. I think I will just carry my weapon concealed as I don't want to deal with the hassle. Thanks!