• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was arrested for filming police tonight

Jeff Hayes

This is going to be tossed out pretty quickly IMHO. That Cop is an idiot of the 1st degree you are standing on the sidewalk out of the way. The problem you now have is that you will have an arrest record that you can not ever get rid of and trust me it will cause you problems in the future, jobs, renting an apartment, concealed carry permits etc etc that means you are damaged for life and that is why you should sue the crap out of them. That Cop also violated your Rights and he did it on purpose I am betting he has had training some time in the past. That Cop had to walk out of his way to cite you. If you do not want to do for your self do for the rest of us because every time they get away with this the worse they get.

Palo this is the type of Cops I was talking about on that thread the other day one of them make the rest look bad and cause me to not trust any of them.

sudden valley gunner

This is going to be tossed out pretty quickly IMHO. That Cop is an idiot of the 1st degree you are standing on the sidewalk out of the way. The problem you now have is that you will have an arrest record that you can not ever get rid of and trust me it will cause you problems in the future, jobs, renting an apartment, concealed carry permits etc etc that means you are damaged for life and that is why you should sue the crap out of them. That Cop also violated your Rights and he did it on purpose I am betting he has had training some time in the past. That Cop had to walk out of his way to cite you. If you do not want to do for your self do for the rest of us because every time they get away with this the worse they get.

Palo this is the type of Cops I was talking about on that thread the other day one of them make the rest look bad and cause me to not trust any of them.

+1

sudden valley gunner

"Please don't record me, or I'll arrest you."

Oh, ho, ho, ho, ho. Coercion to get the videographer to stop exercising his 1A right.

There is no way police don't know its legal and protected to record them. Its been in the press for two years.

Sue.

+1 and qualified immunity does not apply when something is established case law or law and it has been well established in our state, so Napoleon doesn't have no excuses.

stealthyeliminator

Curious as to why you would stop recording? They have no authority to stop you.

I'd imagine he was simply trying to defuse the situation and perhaps specifically to try to avoid being unlawfully arrested (or cited). If that's the case, IMO it just goes to show you should not "trust" the police or comply with their unlawful demands for the sole purpose of trying to avoid their persecution - perhaps short of physical resistance. If they are the type to persecute, and they've already decided to target you, compliance such as stopping recording devices will likely only empower them to persecute further.

PALO

I trust them because I know in the overwhelming majority of incidents they do the right thing. In cases like this, where they appear to clearly have done the wrong thing, they deserve to be punished. As I have stated in other threads, agencies vary widely in training and written policies involving people filming them. I have suggested to people to contact their local PD, get a copy of their policy manual and see what, if any policies they have vis a vis people filming them. If they don't have a policy, suggest one consistent with law, so that then cops can be held accountable for violating same. Without training or policy, it is difficult if not impossible for individual cops to be held accountable (qualified immunity, failure to train etc.). That's not opinion. That's fact. I'd rather see policy enacted that PREVENTS these kinds of misconduct than see it happen and people have to sue after the fact.

I have filmed with impunity and never been hassled. Youtube has literally thousands of videos where people filmed the cops and weren't hassled. These jerkmunches who interfere with this sacred 1st amendment right need to be held accountable.

I'll say it again - contact your local PD and research this. It's a simple way citizens can get involved and make positive change. Imo, we get the govt. we deserve. If people aren't willing to get involved, you get crappy govt. My agency I work for , as well as the agency that polices where I live both have excellent crystal clear policies establishing the right of people to film us, and making it crystal clear that officers who interfere with filmers will be held accountable.

And guess what? Because of that, I've never heard of a single detail in either agency where cops interfered.

If you don't trust cops, that's sad. I;'m glad polling data confirms that the overwhelming majority of the public considers us both professional and honest.

But for people who want to DO SOMETHING vs. wank on the internet- I've outlined something that people can do. If an agency hasn't addressed this critical issue, they MUST in roll call training and in general orders manual. And you, as the average citizen can very well insure that your local PD DOES so. You can prevent people's rights from being violated

Many will wank and say "it's not my job". Policing the police and being responsible for those who are given powers to seize, arrest, search etc. us IS EVERYBODY's responsibility imnsho. I'm tired of arguing this point, but hopefully responsible people (vs. whiners) will take this to heart and effect positive change. The overwhelming majority of cops want to do the right thing, and the policies they work under should explain the right thing vis a vis filmers and DEMAND they do so. And imnsho, if an agency has such a policy/training, THEN ofc's in that agency who pull this kind of chicanery can and will be held accountable imo and also I believe that likely qualified immunity may even be lifted.

I personally welcome people to film me. I'm out injured right now because yesterday, a guy I Terry stopped assaulted my partner and took off on foot . I caught up with him and had to tackle him and then deal with his whinging about how his back hurt and of course the x-rays came out negative after 4 hours at harborzoo and he's comfortably in jail with a vehicular assault warrant and assault on a PO charges. Did we do the right thing? Heck yea. Remarkable restraint in chasing and tackling the guy where he suffered only minor scrapes on his knees after he punched an officer in the face and fled. That's how it works ALMOST every time and it's why I trust cops. Because for every overreaction you have scores of incidents like this where cops exercise commendable restraint while reeling in dangerous assaultive felons.

I *hope* there is video of this incident (he punched my partner in a gas station parking lot, but it appears it happened outside the view of their cameras) either the assault or my tackling him because it will just help protect me from bogus complaints AND help convict him, and he already has burglary conviction etc at 19 yoa and also his outstanding vehicle assault and now assault III charge to deal with.

I also suggest if you don't trust cops, to do a ride along with your local pd. You might be surprised and impressed with the professionalism and honor your local cop brings to the job. I've done many ridealongs, before I became a cop, especially, and I've seen some stellar police work.

It's all of our responsibility (not just the cops) to defend ourselves from criminals and to keep an eye out for criminal behavior, to be a good witness for same, to come forward if we have information about crime (REAL crime. I don't believe in the war on drugs and other victimless crime rubbish, but ymmv. I of course enforce those laws because I believe in rule of law although drug crimes are a TINY TINY percent of what I do). It's also our responsibility to come forward if we witness police misconduct and if you can effect positive change you should. Police work for you. Check out your local PD policy regarding filmers and effect some positive change.

Cheers.

PS When I tackled that violent felon, I did it in full view of a half dozen people sitting on their porch having a barbeque. Force , even when entirely justified is not pretty, but because I did (as cops almost always do) THE RIGHT THING and used reasonable force to tackle him and wrestle him into cuffs, we got a standing ovation of sorts from the peanut gallery. I didn't know, until after I got him in cuffs that I had an audience, but if as a cop you assume you do, and you do the right thing, you have little to worry about. these people are statistically likely to be in the overwhelming majority that trusts cops and after seeing our restraint and skillz in busting this perp, it's only logical to assume they remain in this majority camp. If I had gotten in cheap shots /used excessive force, I would have sullied the image of the police in these members of the public's eyes. And getting a standing ovation and comments like "man, that was awesome." gives me a warm fuzzy. It's people like that, that make the cop haters , the tiny minority so easy to handle. I know they are just that, a minority and I know that when push comes to shove, the average joe respects us and they've got our back!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
PALO,

Americans do not trust their government(s). Its in our blood. That's why we have tens of thousands of governmental districts (heck, we even have districts to spray for mosquitoes because we want to be able to control the government better).

So its not "sad" that people do not trust government officials, police included. Its in our DNA as we struggle to remain free.

I have many relatives who are cops. I have nothing against cops. I just prefer my interaction with them to be zero; after all, a cop cannot make me free-er of the government, correct?

wank wank wank ... ;)

I'm surprised would chased down a 19 yr old ... I have seen many cops just stop, out of breath, after chasing these young guys for about a block. Many can run fast ! You should be in MIB.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Americans do not trust their government(s). Its in our blood.

And, the perfectly valid reasons not to trust government are daily in our press, and extensively covered in history. Its not like its an unfounded, subjective, unreasonable attitude independent of all experience to the contrary.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Nice - they roll SWAT for a stolen whatever (x-box, play station, etc...) all those resources for a misdemeanor charge? SWAT stands for Special Weapons And Tactics. If they are going to be rolled for every petty crime I suggest they change SWAT teams to TW@T teams "Typical Weapons And Tactics".... this whole event reeks of something fishy going on. :eek:

Last edited:

tannerwaterbury

Nice - they roll SWAT for a stolen whatever (x-box, play station, etc...) all those resources for a misdemeanor charge? SWAT stands for Special Weapons And Tactics. If they are going to be rolled for every petty crime I suggest they change SWAT teams to TW@T teams "Typical Weapons And Tactics".... this whole event reeks of something fishy going on. :eek:

It's happening more and more with petty crimes. This is being done on purpose to have us adapt to living in a police state. We keep silent, and they keep pushing.

PALO

It's happening more and more with petty crimes. This is being done on purpose to have us adapt to living in a police state. We keep silent, and they keep pushing.

And again, your local PD are public servants. They serve you. What are their policies regarding deployment of SWAT? Do you know? I do. I helped get my agency to change their policy because at one point expanded to requiring SWAT for ALL warrants on people involved with drug sales. That's ridiculous. We don't need SWAT for some 18 yr old with no violent history, selling XTC out of his parent's house. I executed a warrant for that crime by simplying walking up to the front door with a sgt. and two patrol officers and knocking on the door, and then showing the warrant to the parents when they came to the door and then walked in the house and went to town. But once they passed this stupid policy, they would require SWAT to execute that warrant.

SWAT is like ALL govt. bodies they seek to justify their growth. By influencing their agencies that they are needed when they are not, they can say "hey, we had X SWAT callouts . We need more manpower" bla bla. That's what pretty much ALL govt. bodies try to do and it's up to US to keep the reigns.

I attended some meetings and wrote an OR and I'm not saying it's entirely because of me, but my agency DID change their policy and no longer require SWAT with all drug sale warrants, but went back to a risk matrix which is MUCH more logical. Drug warrants are dangerous. Three guys in my street crime unit (20 guys total) have been shot doing drug warrants. B ut you have to assess the risk and respond appropriately.

Using SWAT in many circ's is like using a howitzer to swat a fly. SWAT is a great benefit to law enforcement, to communities, to criminal suspects, to innocent bystanders when used properly because they have the tools, training, tactics etc. to very often resolve situations where patrol would have to shoot (and/or get shot). I've seen that many times.

I've seen meth compouns with booby traps and surveillance video cameras, where we would have a very difficult time executing a warrant. I've seen cases like the guy in North Bend who had the incredibly well armed and difficult to access compound (near rattlesnake ridge iirc), where they ended up having to use a helicopter and rappel in to the area.

And of course you will never read about the X # of incidents where SWAT did NOT shoot and where probably patrol would have had to. We had one a few months ago where a guy armed with a knife ran at one of the SWAT officers. He had a body shield and lifted it and was protected, and to make a long story short they didn't have to shoot the guy. Patrol probably would have had to. You will never read stories like that in the press, because they don't bleed. We had another incident where a sniper shot a patrol officer and SWAT was eventually able to take him out... with a sniper. Another SWAT asset.

Balko has written a good book about the warriorification of local police and clearly SWAT (much like tasers) has been overused in many jurisdictions.

And again, back to the point I will frequently make. You get the govt. you deserve. It is OUR job, the people, to keep an eye on, to hold accountable, and to investigate the policies and practices use by those that police US.

Does your local agency have a good, restrained common sense policy for when SWAT is deployed? Mine does.

It can make all the difference. ALso, like it or not we live in a democratic republic. We are one of hte few nations on earth that doesn't have mostly or nearly all police powers located in a central police agency. Imo, having local police responsive to the community is infinitely better than if we had a federal police. Federal law enforcement agencies have already unconstitutionally expanded their scope, but even still - MOST crimes are outside their jurisdiction.

Since we have local police, local communities can and should monitor them, give input at meetings etc. (my agency attends city meetings etc. where everybody can easily ask questions and give input) so that our agencies don't abuse SWAT. We get the govt we deserve. Make some effort, and you will get better govt. and get better response when your govt does wrong.

I will pound this point repeatedly, because it's a core belief and it is the way we can effect change instead of whinging about the status quo. We, the people are in charge here. They (govt. ) work for us. We have the ability and the duty to hold them accountable but also to EFFECT change. It is way better to change policy to prevent bad stuff from happening than wait for it to happen and use the clunky and often weakly effective civil lawsuit system etc. to effect change, also since lawsuits against cops just primarily get a lawyer and a victim rich (if they win) at the expense NOT of the police, but of the taxpayers. Just as police are proactive in fighting crime, we must be proactive in fighting bad police policies and practices.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
And of course you will never read about the X # of incidents where SWAT did NOT shoot and where probably patrol would have had to. We had one a few months ago where a guy armed with a knife ran at one of the SWAT officers. He had a body shield and lifted it and was protected, and to make a long story short they didn't have to shoot the guy. .

Is that because the cop's gun jammed?

Look, if one becomes too much for the cops, they just waco ya & watch the fire

PALO

PALO,

Americans do not trust their government(s). Its in our blood. That's why we have tens of thousands of governmental districts (heck, we even have districts to spray for mosquitoes because we want to be able to control the government better).

So its not "sad" that people do not trust government officials, police included. Its in our DNA as we struggle to remain free.

I have many relatives who are cops. I have nothing against cops. I just prefer my interaction with them to be zero; after all, a cop cannot make me free-er of the government, correct?

wank wank wank ... ;)

I'm surprised would chased down a 19 yr old ... I have seen many cops just stop, out of breath, after chasing these young guys for about a block. Many can run fast ! You should be in MIB.

You are simply wrong. Polling data proves (I am more than happy to provide cites) that specifically there are two kind of govt. that people DO trust.

I said it's sad that HERE that there are some minority niche people who feel that way. One of the incredibly rewarding aspects of being an LEO is the overwhelming positive response I get from the community, the thanks, the trust, the respect, etc.

AGAIN, YOU CAN MAKE ASSERTIONS WITHOUT EVIDENCE ALL YOU WANT, but the polling data (gallup) proves that people do NOT trust CONGRESS and most govt. bureaucrats.

THEY DO TRUST COPS.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1654/honesty-ethics-professions.aspx

So you are either lying or mistaken. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are just ignorant of these facts. Like many ideologues, you surround yourself with fellow travelers in a niche group and assume that your outlier beliefs represent how the rest of society thinks.

Au contraire, mon frere.

Read the link. It's simply facts, hard evidence and it also shows no trend. It was true in 2012 and it has remained relatively constant, the high proportion of the american people that consider the police as being honest and professional.

The anti-cop people are loud and HERE they are certainly a fair %age of posters, but out in the real world, as my data shows- not so much

I will see if you will have the intellectual honesty, when confronted with evidence to retract your statement about people trusting COPS. You are damn right they don't trust, for instance CONGRESS

10% of polled rate congress as having HIGH or VERY high ethical standards and honest

58% rate cops as having high or very high ethical standards
Another 32% rate us as average

only 3 % rate us as VERY LOW and only 7% rate us as low.

This compares favorably with other professions. We rank lower than nurses, teachers, and military officers. I can live with that. And when you consider that we have to cite and arrest people, iow do things that naturally people don't like to have happen to them, the stats are all the more compelling

If you want to talk about who the american people don't trust, it's congress, lawyers, journalists, and governors.

Again, join the reality based community and concede your error

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE RATE COPS HIGH ON HONESTY AND PROFESSIONALISM, HIGHER THAN A SUBSTANTIAL # OF PROFESSIONS

proof , not your false assertions.

I'll wait for the acknowledgement of same.

papa bear

polls are people's (or should i say sheeple) opinion. these are the same people that say blood will be running in the streets

it is a cop's job to arrest you. any you they can. only about 20% of LEOs are good people. 70% are there for the prestige and 10% are A-holes that want to use their powers to hassle people

i am not anti LEO, but i am pro constitution

509rifas

I just got back from talking to the neighbors. One of them is one of my gun buddies that i've know for a while. There's 6 or 7 brothers, and the teenage one was wanted for allegedly buying a stolen laptop that day. I'm told it was found sitting out on a dresser, then they threw the room and searched the rest of the house for good measure. He was not there. There was video shot of them when they came in and everything, there was a lot of different people recording, but I seem to be the only one arrested. I missed when the family was taken out and held face down on the lawn for a while. They all told me rather upsettedly about that.

This just keeps getting more interesting.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP THEY DO TRUST COPS.

All this proves it that the police PR machine that pumps out the "protect and serve" message is still getting traction.

And, many of us know now that the whole point of polls is to see if propaganda is working.

If everybody in the country stayed glued to the copwatch websites, Will Griggs, and Radley Balko, police would either be out of business or severely restricted by the end of the week.

The existence of the Blue Wall of Silence, alone, proves that even the so-called good cops tolerate and enable the rights-violators.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Man, yall make me look like the union rep for the police guild.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..."

It takes quite a bit of arrogance to diminish the indignity of seizing an innocent equal. It goes far beyond "hurt feelings'. Restricting a man's freedom by seizure is a huge imposition. The government reveals its arrogance every time it pretends seizing a person is only a minor inconvenience.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You are simply wrong. Polling data proves (I am more than happy to provide cites) that specifically there are two kind of govt. that people DO trust.

I said it's sad that HERE that there are some minority niche people who feel that way. One of the incredibly rewarding aspects of being an LEO is the overwhelming positive response I get from the community, the thanks, the trust, the respect, etc.

AGAIN, YOU CAN MAKE ASSERTIONS WITHOUT EVIDENCE ALL YOU WANT, but the polling data (gallup) proves that people do NOT trust CONGRESS and most govt. bureaucrats.

THEY DO TRUST COPS.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1654/honesty-ethics-professions.aspx

So you are either lying or mistaken. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are just ignorant of these facts. Like many ideologues, you surround yourself with fellow travelers in a niche group and assume that your outlier beliefs represent how the rest of society thinks.

Au contraire, mon frere.

Read the link. It's simply facts, hard evidence and it also shows no trend. It was true in 2012 and it has remained relatively constant, the high proportion of the american people that consider the police as being honest and professional.

The anti-cop people are loud and HERE they are certainly a fair %age of posters, but out in the real world, as my data shows- not so much

I will see if you will have the intellectual honesty, when confronted with evidence to retract your statement about people trusting COPS. You are damn right they don't trust, for instance CONGRESS

10% of polled rate congress as having HIGH or VERY high ethical standards and honest

58% rate cops as having high or very high ethical standards
Another 32% rate us as average

only 3 % rate us as VERY LOW and only 7% rate us as low.

This compares favorably with other professions. We rank lower than nurses, teachers, and military officers. I can live with that. And when you consider that we have to cite and arrest people, iow do things that naturally people don't like to have happen to them, the stats are all the more compelling

If you want to talk about who the american people don't trust, it's congress, lawyers, journalists, and governors.

Again, join the reality based community and concede your error

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE RATE COPS HIGH ON HONESTY AND PROFESSIONALISM, HIGHER THAN A SUBSTANTIAL # OF PROFESSIONS

proof , not your false assertions.

I'll wait for the acknowledgement of same.

and 42% don't trust cops I gather .... that's not a very good number ... you do know that, right?

Oh yeah, I sure people say nice things when you are in front of them ... heck every time I have a gun handy everybody says nice things about me ... Adolph Hitler did too ... (this had more than 7 replies, right lol)

Why would scientists be higher, significantly higher??? Because we crush people who put out bad information .... we crush them, with science ! Cops keep their mouth shut and have that blue wall ... what other profession has such a moniker of the "blue wall of silence" .... that speaks volumes.

Last edited: