• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was arrested for filming police tonight

Difdi

for example, if the arrest was for selling drugs and the person was not found guilty on a technicality, the dept still won't hire him because it's clear he DID sell drugs in the past.

Depending on the technicality, that might be illegal. Our default legal status, after all, is innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If the technicality is that the arresting officer made an illegal search and seizure and the resulting evidence was inadmissible, causing the prosecution to be unable to prove the charge...that guy's at the default legal status in the matter.

Discriminating against him because of that could be viewed as retaliation.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
(*DING*)(*DING*)(*DING*)

I think any lawsuit (should the OP decide to go that route) should ask for some significant $$$. After all, this arrest record may preclude different types of future employment (never know, the OP may decide to change careers to something that would look dimly upon any arrest record). Of course, if the city could ensure that ALL records of the arrest are removed from all local, state, federal and private systems then a large amount of money MIGHT not be necessary. :)

Unfortunately, state and local governments cannot compel the fedgov to remove it from their records. This is a recognized problem for some time now.

carolina guy

Unfortunately, state and local governments cannot compel the fedgov to remove it from their records. This is a recognized problem for some time now.

That's why the city and state need to be given the "opportunity" to get the Feds to remove the incorrect data...otherwise, the city / state need to pay lots of FRNs to compensate for their error that they are unable to correct.

Jeff. State

Banned
509rifas, I applaud you on your work. I have watched your other videos and have a question.

In Nerd vs. cop (very impressive display of legal knowledge), why did you let them run your firearms serial number, etc. ??????

You are VERY capable of standing up for your rights yet you let the "officers" trample them????. "You intrigue me" classic response of a bully who has been backed up by a capable adversary.

amzbrady

Maybe it is time for an open carry meet at a park closest to the police station and as many cameras as we can muster. In fact a few news stations would be even better.

509rifas

Maybe it is time for an open carry meet at a park closest to the police station and as many cameras as we can muster. In fact a few news stations would be even better.

Lots of people and lots of cameras means probably nothing will happen. A news station should guarantee the professionalest of conduct by officers. You'll make your point, just like walking up with a camcorder in your hand in daylight, but that won't change how they act when they think no one is watching.
Not that I discourage such activity. Not at all. Since my event a lot of people (including people I don't even know) have approached me wanting to do filming police parties (we could actually just do a bbq - where I live there's neighborhoods where the cops just drive by real slow when they see any gathering.) Digitus Impudicus parties have also been suggested, but we are not at that level yet.
At the very minimum it should see to it that all officers learn that video documentation of public events is freedom of press, and that's somewhere in the bill of rights or something. Just imagine them trying to take 15 cameras.

Last edited:

509rifas

509rifas, I applaud you on your work. I have watched your other videos and have a question.

In Nerd vs. cop (very impressive display of legal knowledge), why did you let them run your firearms serial number, etc. ??????

You are VERY capable of standing up for your rights yet you let the "officers" trample them????. "You intrigue me" classic response of a bully who has been backed up by a capable adversary.

Well, I guess a few reasons. For one I couldn't have stopped him, as he already had it. And there was a slight lapse in the video, since I had a very limited disc space left and if it cuts out you lose the whole video so right then I stopped and restarted it, but right when he called the number, the other officer told him "I'm pretty sure it's been ran before, a few times..." That part was not recorded, maybe 15 seconds. I was also interested in the information on the return, as there's always been questions about the "registration" on the gun (it's a gun show gun.)
Generally what I do is establish that I have been detained and that can be determined from the recording. The red and blue lights were flashing, he was controlling my movement, demanding ID, etc, so anything after that is fruit of the poisonous tree. Believe it or not, I don't go out looking to make these videos, it's that when you're in my age group in my town, you will get stopped after dark, period. It doesn't just happen to me, it happens to everyone. Often there is other concerns, such as me having work the next morning, needing to be somewhere for my children, etc, and I have to make decision whether or not to do the full monty or just make my point, which I think I did in Nerd V Cop.
As far as the "no, because you intrigue me right now" comment, it came as a response to what was basically my challenge to cite as at that point we had a disagreement of whether or not municipalities could make laws that conflict with Title 46. He then said "I'm learning something right now, now I'm going to have to do my homework." I give respect where respect is given, and despite the initial unlawful detention, he actually listened to all my statements, read that papers I showed him etc. So at that point we were being civil with each other, I really just didn't feel like saying "don't run that" just for the sake of asserting my right to do so. If you notice in the video right before my arrest, I couldn't get out more than two words before that cop interrupted me. Though after I cut camera, I told him I was going back to my house and I would bring back my copies of the law on recording (State v Flora, etc). Bad idea. But the SWAT sgt didn't listen to what I had to say, and now he's the recipient of derogatory statements from hundreds of people across the internet about his legal knowledge, which are really the least of his concerns at this point. The officer that stopped me may have acknowledged me as a capable adversary but he wasn't a dick about it. I'm ok with that. For what it's worth, as I live in a small town, with about 30 members of the police department, I know who most are, and from I've directly seen about this guy he actually seemed like a decent guy. And it really wouldn't surprise me considering what I know from first or second hand experience with SPD to learn that their training (or lack thereof) gives the officers themselves serious misinformation about the law. I know for sure I'm not the first person to be arrested for filming or taking pictures of police here, not even the first this year.
Maybe it's my megalomania speaking here, but if you ran into me on 9th St late at night, you'd be intrigued by me as well, I assure you.

F350

(*DING*)(*DING*)(*DING*)

I think any lawsuit (should the OP decide to go that route) should ask for some significant $$$. After all, this arrest record may preclude different types of future employment (never know, the OP may decide to change careers to something that would look dimly upon any arrest record). Of course, if the city could ensure that ALL records of the arrest are removed from all local, state, federal and private systems then a large amount of money MIGHT not be necessary. :)

I have worked overseas as a contractor and am trying for a new contract before Obummer shuts down Afghanistan; this would end any chance I have as my work requires a SECRET security clearance at the least.

Jeff. State

Banned
One other question on "Nerd vs. cop". I cant watch it again right now, but did the officer ask you...

Are you a "Constitutionalist"? like it was a bad thing?

Jeff. State

Banned
I just watched....

""Detention for refusal to identify on bike""

When did he realize you were armed, second frisk?!?!?!?! :shocker: Did they give you any other "qualifying" descriptions other than "black t shirt"? Total BS, but that seems to be piled deep in Sunnyside LE. What did he keep at the end, a knife?

You either have some serious bad luck with the popo of late or they are running your town like it's Nazi Germany.

Last edited:

509rifas

One other question on "Nerd vs. cop". I cant watch it again right now, but did the officer ask you...

Are you a "Constitutionalist"? like it was a bad thing?

I understood what he meant as like those guys on the LE training videos (generally but not always call themselves "Sovereigns") LE are trained that people who carry around stacks of papers and have a strange fascination with constitutional law are potentially dangerous to law enforcement and the largest growing domestic terrorist threat. If but only for my own safety I felt the need to distinguish.

When did he realize you were armed, second frisk?!?!?!?! Did they give you any other "qualifying" descriptions other than "black t shirt"? Total BS, but that seems to be piled deep in Sunnyside LE. What did he keep at the end, a knife?

After he took me around the car, I believe he was about to put me in and did the "you got any guns, knives, hand grenades. etc." He was pretty upset I hadn't already told him, but I was busy trying to explain he had passed us nearly a mile from the scene on the way towards it. He frisked me very, very thoroughly after that.

It's not completely clear in the video, but the speech where he says he's going to keep it, I asked him if I brought it state and federal codes that distinguished spring-assist from switchblade would he give it back, right then another officer (the one that knew me from other times) got out and took a look at the knife and corrected the other officers. There really is some serious training problems if only one out of the four officers on scene knew the difference between an illegal and legal knife.

You either have some serious bad luck with the popo of late or they are running your town like it's Nazi Germany.
Somewhere in between.
It doesn't just happen to me, it happens to everyone. I'm just the only one that films it and puts it online.
I know two other guys that are saving up their films for a "Sunnyside Police greatest hits" type video.

DocWalker

"After he took me around the car, I believe he was about to put me in and did the "you got any guns, knives, hand grenades. etc." He was pretty upset I hadn't already told him, but I was busy trying to explain he had passed us nearly a mile from the scene on the way towards it. He frisked me very, very thoroughly after that."

LOL: most people either have to buy a plane ticket or pay extra for service like that...

Trigger Dr

After 6 pages of discussion, I believe that you are doing yourself and the OC movement a disservice if you have not retained an attorney, and continued discussion leaves little for the PD to discover.
LAWYER UP and stop talking.

PALO

I understood what he meant as like those guys on the LE training videos (generally but not always call themselves "Sovereigns") LE are trained that people who carry around stacks of papers and have a strange fascination with constitutional law are potentially dangerous to law enforcement and the largest growing domestic terrorist threat. If but only for my own safety I felt the need to distinguish.

After he took me around the car, I believe he was about to put me in and did the "you got any guns, knives, hand grenades. etc." He was pretty upset I hadn't already told him, but I was busy trying to explain he had passed us nearly a mile from the scene on the way towards it. He frisked me very, very thoroughly after that.

It's not completely clear in the video, but the speech where he says he's going to keep it, I asked him if I brought it state and federal codes that distinguished spring-assist from switchblade would he give it back, right then another officer (the one that knew me from other times) got out and took a look at the knife and corrected the other officers. There really is some serious training problems if only one out of the four officers on scene knew the difference between an illegal and legal knife.

Somewhere in between.
It doesn't just happen to me, it happens to everyone. I'm just the only one that films it and puts it online.
I know two other guys that are saving up their films for a "Sunnyside Police greatest hits" type video.

Many sovereigns are quite dangerous. When your belief system tells you that a law enforcement officer has no authoritah to stop, detain, arrest etc. you, it is understandable that one would react with violence when that is occurring.

Again, it's nowhere near all sovereigns. There are different sovereignty groups with different ideologies. Some are peaceful. Some literally encourage violence. Many sovereigns belong to a group and some are autonomous.

I dealt with sovereigns in Hawaii on occasion and they were always polite and respectful . They just believed they were sovereign Kanaka Maoli and that the new (read: Our) govt. had no authoritah over them. Otoh, they stopped for the traffic stop, so apparently their disbelief in state authority didin't extend far enough to make them refuse to stop, etc. Some had sovereign license plates and most ofc's viewed them as harmless and that it was bad form to mess with them as they weren't bothering anybody except the DMV since they didn't pay for vehicle tabs. They were, other than that kind of symbolic stuff - very law abiding. I don't think i ever had one as a suspect in a robbery, assault, car theft, prowl or anything like that.

But there are some sovereigns who are very organized and very dangerous and they are not to be taken lightly. I took a train the trainer hate crimes courts a few years ago through FLETC and there was some eye opening stuff. A lot of it is blown out of proportion and god knows that as soon as you start talking about constitutiuonal rights, and state power etc. as we libertarians tend to do - there is the worry that we might get falsely stuck into that sovereign citizen's camp of which I am definitely not a member.

A lot of sovereigns end up in the Pac NW and most of them just want to get left alone and ime law enforcement generally does, but sometimes the feds get a hardon for them to the point of harassment and even entrapment.

509rifas

Many sovereigns are quite dangerous. When your belief system tells you that a law enforcement officer has no authoritah to stop, detain, arrest etc. you, it is understandable that one would react with violence when that is occurring.

Again, it's nowhere near all sovereigns....

But there are some sovereigns who are very organized and very dangerous and they are not to be taken lightly. I took a train the trainer hate crimes courts a few years ago through FLETC and there was some eye opening stuff. A lot of it is blown out of proportion and god knows that as soon as you start talking about constitutiuonal rights, and state power etc. as we libertarians tend to do - there is the worry that we might get falsely stuck into that sovereign citizen's camp of which I am definitely not a member.

A lot of sovereigns end up in the Pac NW and most of them just want to get left alone and ime law enforcement generally does, but sometimes the feds get a hardon for them to the point of harassment and even entrapment.

That was precisely my concern. As I have seen in various materials prepared by the DoJ, FBI, etc about how dangerous Sovereigns are, and specifically how many simply refer to themselves as Constitutionalists, I sensed that that was what the officer was inquiring about, and I thought it good for everyone to differentiate.

509rifas

After 6 pages of discussion, I believe that you are doing yourself and the OC movement a disservice if you have not retained an attorney, and continued discussion leaves little for the PD to discover.

If it helps, we're pretty off the original topic :)

509rifas

If it helps, we're pretty off the original topic :)

And who says I haven't? No one plays all their cards at once.

HandyHamlet

A news station should guarantee the professionalest of conduct by officers.

I beg to differ. And keep up the good fight.

[video=youtube;27uM25FvXrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27uM25FvXrE[/video]

Chicago cop to reporters - "Your first amendment rights can be terminated."
The First Amendment, which gives United States citizens freedom of speech, has been violated by Chicago police and police in other cities. This violation of rights comes whenever police determine that media should not be filming and/or reporting on certain issues, usually political in nature.

The latest violation of right came when Chicago police arrested reporters standing outside a hospital. The reporters were trying to report on the death of a young girl. The police allege that hospital security asked the reporters to leave and told them that they were creating a scene.
- See more at: http://urbanorganicnews.com/first-amendment-chicago-police/#sthash.NvxKfT5H.dpuf

http://urbanorganicnews.com/first-amendment-chicago-police/

Last edited: