• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senior Citizen Self-defense Incident

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Audio only.

A witness is leaving a phone message for someone, when suddenly a violent confrontation unfolds before him after a traffic accident. Listen as he describes what is occurring.

Did the first defender over-react? Did the those who rushed to the first defender's aid use unreasonable force?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=23a_1376208005

Fair warning: Tie yourself into your chair. Put down drinks and food. I am not responsible for injuries when you fall out of your chair laughing, nor damage to keyboards and monitors. Unbelievable hilarity ensues.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
well...I am not convinced this is a real recording. Its too clear to begin with ... not outside noises ... etc.

I had that thought, too.

But, then I realized he was leaving a message for someone to let them know he was on his way to somewhere. And, it was raining to some degree or just had been, so it makes sense his windows would be raised.

And, if that laughter is acting, he deserves an oscar.

All in all, I decided its more likely genuine than not. And, even if it isn't, the scriptwriter deserves an award for hilarious entertainment.

So, I just listened as though it was real, and enjoyed it on the same premise.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Possibly the only person who did not over-react was the first defender - the driver who rolled down the windowand pepper-sprayed the other driver.

From there it went way south way fast - three little old ladies battering the heck out of some guy who apparently, in spite of age/physical condition differences was still on the bad end of a disparity of force situation. Repeatedly hit on the head with a hard plastic armored NIV Bible, and a handbag described as at least as big as the bidy wielding it, and being poked in the side by a relatvely sharp stick? Sounds like a case of fear of imminent death or serious bodily injury could be made. (It's one of the few times I'd take a bench trial over a jury trial.)

Wass the whole thing staged? Most likely. Lots of morning drive-time teams are known for stuff like that.

Too bad this will not go on to become a great teaching moment regarding the laws of self defense.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Possibly the only person who did not over-react was the first defender - the driver who rolled down the windowand pepper-sprayed the other driver.

From there it went way south way fast - three little old ladies battering the heck out of some guy who apparently, in spite of age/physical condition differences was still on the bad end of a disparity of force situation. Repeatedly hit on the head with a hard plastic armored NIV Bible, and a handbag described as at least as big as the bidy wielding it, and being poked in the side by a relatvely sharp stick? Sounds like a case of fear of imminent death or serious bodily injury could be made. (It's one of the few times I'd take a bench trial over a jury trial.)

Wass the whole thing staged? Most likely. Lots of morning drive-time teams are known for stuff like that.

Too bad this will not go on to become a great teaching moment regarding the laws of self defense.

stay safe.

"But, your honor, she was forcing her religious views on me!"

"How, son?"

"She was pounding me on the head with an nine-pound NIV bible!"

"Disparity of morality is not disparity of force, son. You should take the lesson to heart as well as your head. Pay attention to traffic lights; and, don't run your car into little old ladies."

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Only question I have is, "How did he know what version of the Bible she was using?" That told me the story is most likely false unless he has some phenomenal eyesight.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Only question I have is, "How did he know what version of the Bible she was using?" That told me the story is most likely false unless he has some phenomenal eyesight.

If he was faking the story, he wouldn't have mentioned the version at all. If you re-view the video, his mis-names it, too. He refers to it as an NVI bible, instead of NIV.

I think he was just assuming it was a bible because it was big. I didn't figure he could actually read the version, unless it was brand-new, still shrink-wrapped, and had a big sticker on it or something; but since he mis-named it, I figured he wasn't looking at a sticker.