Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Watermellon Festival, Carytown 8/11/13

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Watermellon Festival, Carytown 8/11/13

    Anyone else going? I'll be there.

    Always fun to watch people and maybe educate a few.

    Reminder to self - replace recorder batteries.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    "We have always turned down alcohol venders, keeping this a family event. We have discouraged controversial or political presentations, or anyone that might not keep the day worry-free."
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/sunday-...9bb30f31a.html

    Have GSL stickers for those that will voluntarily take them from me. Who am I to deny them their 1A rights?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Was at the festival from 1:30 - 6:30 PM - gave out between 600 and 700 GSL stickers. Lots of good interaction with people. Some knew the story behind the stickers and what they represent, others stopped to talk and be informed. Could easily have kept 3 or 4 of us busy - at times people were lined up 4 and 5 deep waiting their turn.

    Only had one really negative response - a gentleman took a sticker and immediately slapped it against the side of a trash can with an angry gesture - I simply removed it I gave it to the next person.

    Long afternoon, the weather cooperated, was fun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Carytown Watermellon Festival

    30th annual festival draws at least 110,000 and the free event sold out for vendor spaces, topping 150 stands!
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...e2937c6ca.html

    Fertile field, rich environment.

    Parked within 100' of Cary St., right behind the emergency veterinarian clinic. Interacted with several RPD officers and numerous event staff w/o the first problem.

    Think I'll be back next year.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-12-2013 at 04:14 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    30th annual festival draws at least 110,000 and the free event sold out for vendor spaces, topping 150 stands!
    http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...e2937c6ca.html

    Fertile field, rich environment.

    Parked within 100' of Cary St., right behind the emergency veterinarian clinic. Interacted with several RPD officers and numerous event staff w/o the first problem.

    Think I'll be back next year.
    +1 and thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Was at the festival from 1:30 - 6:30 PM - gave out between 600 and 700 GSL stickers. Lots of good interaction with people. Some knew the story behind the stickers and what they represent, others stopped to talk and be informed. Could easily have kept 3 or 4 of us busy - at times people were lined up 4 and 5 deep waiting their turn.

    Only had one really negative response - a gentleman took a sticker and immediately slapped it against the side of a trash can with an angry gesture - I simply removed it I gave it to the next person.

    Long afternoon, the weather cooperated, was fun.
    Did ya get new stickers? How much did they end up costing?

    Ya get to eat free watermelons? In the midwest they have corn festivals with free corn .... ***********
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-14-2013 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Did ya get new stickers? How much did they end up costing?

    Ya get to eat free watermelons? In the midwest they have corn festivals with free corn .... ***********
    The style has evolved over the years - now cost pennies each. VCDL has trademarked the design, though will freely share with legitimate users.

    Watermelon was sold by the sponsor vendors - proceeds to charity.

    Imagine...115,000 people, over 3000 watermelons and you! With 60 musicians, over 100 exhibitors, one of the largest kids areas of any festival on the east coast and all of the great Carytown style, the Carytown Watermelon Festival presented by Martin's has become the largest one day festival in the state of Virginia. Mark your calendar now for a great day of family fun.
    http://www.carytownrva.org/watermelon.php
    I'm originally from the Midwest, so I recognize corn when I see it. Great food, lousy fuel.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post


    I'm originally from the Midwest, so I recognize corn when I see it. Great food, lousy fuel.
    I know a few who bought corn stoves ... I bought a coal stove ... only thing that heats my house

    Corn stoves, at the time, had that plink plink plink sound that I disliked...v. happy with my coal stove...but you are in Virginia, right next to coal country .. sweet
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-14-2013 at 03:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I know a few who bought corn stoves ... I bought a coal stove ... only thing that heats my house

    Corn stoves, at the time, had that plink plink plink sound that I disliked...v. happy with my coal stove...but you are in Virginia, right next to coal country .. sweet
    As a kid growing up I learned to stoke and bank the monster in the basement. People don't understand how clean burning high quality coal is.

    Today anthracite is absurdly expensive.
    http://www.buycoalonline.com/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nokesville, VA
    Posts
    99
    Grape, you are truly doing God's work. Thank you, and please keep it up.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As a kid growing up I learned to stoke and bank the monster in the basement. People don't understand how clean burning high quality coal is.

    Today anthracite is absurdly expensive.
    http://www.buycoalonline.com/
    Just bought some anthracite for this season (in my state you cannot burn bit +bit is finicky ~ takes patience to learn ~ but cheaper!) ... $300/tonne delivered (about $6/40# bag). In PA its like 1/2 that ... delivery costs, ya know.

    http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-compa...calculator.php

    To compare fuel costs ... coal is still less than 1/2 the cost of oil currently ... and because you save $$ it feels warmer My neighbor wants to get a stove but wifey no likes the idea....he cries all winter about fuel costs.

    Anthracite burns cleaner than oil too - Obamalama won't tell you that.

    And you can use the stove to manufacturer or aide in the manufacturer of handgun ammo and parts (to make it relevant to this forum -- not by much though) and to train in the martial arts (hold coal in hand grasshopper ~ you fool)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •