• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

registered sex offender in Georgia files motion for retrial of George Zimmerman

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://lawofselfdefense.com/true-story-ga-sex-offender-seeks-re-trial-of-zimmerman/

registered sex offender in Georgia files motion for retrial of George Zimmerman.

No, seriously, he did.

He brings up some technicalities of the trial (ones that have been talked to death elsewhere but not acted on) and also calls for the disbarment and prosecution of the state attorney team on grounds of misconduct.

Read the motion. Look at the endorsements to see that it really, truly was filed.

And while you are up getting some popcorn, would you please get a refill for my 32-ounce Big Gulp?

stay safe.

77zach

I agree that certain state employees involved with the persecution of Mr. Zimmerman need to be prosecuted and fired. Just not for this retarded man's reasons.

eye95

Um...Double Jeopardy? Even if the prosecution or the judge erred horribly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Um...Double Jeopardy? Even if the prosecution or the judge erred horribly.

<o>

What he said ^^^^^

Not if they prove the trial was defective to the point that justice was subverted. The motion, however, fails utterly at that - mostly because the petitioner 1) wanted Zimmerman to be aquitted on different grounds, and 2) to use it as a vehicle to punish the prosecution team.

Based on the verdict rendered, the failure of giving a specific jury instruction did not deprive Zimmerman of any constitutional right, nor did it deprive him of access to justice. That said, of course, from someone who agreed that the state did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt the case it presented. It is not to say that the state might have been successful had they brought a different case.

There are other, better, cleaner, and quicker ways to seek sanctions against the prosecution than to try for a do-over of the trial.

stay safe.

eye95

I thought the standard was jeopardy attaching. The trial would have to be so flawed that jeopardy never attached, i.e., the judge was bought off so that a conviction couldn't possibly result.

I cannot envision a scenario where incompetence could rise to the level where no jeopardy ever attached. And then, holding the defendant liable, by making him go through the trial, seems to violate the spirit of the bar on double jeopardy. He would have believed that he was in jeopardy, and, until the incompetence grew to the point of ensuring an acquittal, he was in jeopardy.

<o>