• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakewood council eyes toy gun restrictions?

Grim_Night

Slightly off topic...

I actually went to the most recent lakewood city council meeting on the 5th which was held at building 3 of clover park tech. I open carried the entire time. I walked there from my best friend's place where I am living now and got there nice and early. I wasn't very sure where exactly the meeting would be held so I waved down a security guard to get specific information. At the end of getting directions, he noticed that I was carrying and asked me for my permit, to which I informed him that I did not need one as I was open carrying and a permit was only needed to carry concealed. He seemed a bit upset but ended up driving away.

I then went to have a seat at a table across the road from the building where I quietly listened to some music on my phone's MP3 player. A few minutes later, I noticed the security guard drive by again very slowly and then park at building 3. A couple minutes later, another security guard pulled up to the first one and I could see that they were talking. After a few more minutes, they both pulled across the street and into the parking lot close to where I was sitting. They both got out of their cars and came walking up to me. The new guy then told me that I could not carry on campus due to their "rules" unless I had a permit and it was concealed. I informed him as I did the first guy that I was under no obligation to have a permit and why. He asked me for my name to which I said "none of your business".

He asked me why I was there and I told him exactly why. I was there as a private citizen to attend the city council meeting and the campus rules did not apply to me. Since I happen to have been there to address the council regarding city ordinances regarding firearms in city parks, I happened to have paperwork including RCW 9.41.050 and I allowed the guard to read that particular law. He then called his boss to find out what he should do. After a short conversation with his boss, he came back over to me, handed me back my papers and said that I was good to go and to have a nice evening. He and his partner walked away only to walk back a minute later and ask me what the RCW was again so he could look it up for future reference. And mind you, I had been recording the entire exchange with my digital audio recorder.

Fast forward to the meeting...

As I said, I was there to address the council regarding city ordinances prohibiting the carrying of firearms in city parks unless you are a police officer or licenced to carry concealed. While there, I found out that the city is in the process of changing a certian law prohibiting the discharge of firearms within city limits and in fact, the owner of Welcher's Gun Shop is looking to purchase property in lakewood to build a new shop with attached indoor firing range. But due to current city laws, is unable to. The outcome of the meeting was that the portion of the laws prohibiting the discharge of firearms within city limits is being changed. Mr. Welcher informed me that hopefully by next summer at the latest, he should have his new store up and running with the firing range and he will be completely moving out of his current location at 64th and Pacific in tacoma.

PALO

Slightly off topic...

I actually went to the most recent lakewood city council meeting on the 5th which was held at building 3 of clover park tech. I open carried the entire time. I walked there from my best friend's place where I am living now and got there nice and early. I wasn't very sure where exactly the meeting would be held so I waved down a security guard to get specific information. At the end of getting directions, he noticed that I was carrying and asked me for my permit, to which I informed him that I did not need one as I was open carrying and a permit was only needed to carry concealed. He seemed a bit upset but ended up driving away.

I then went to have a seat at a table across the road from the building where I quietly listened to some music on my phone's MP3 player. A few minutes later, I noticed the security guard drive by again very slowly and then park at building 3. A couple minutes later, another security guard pulled up to the first one and I could see that they were talking. After a few more minutes, they both pulled across the street and into the parking lot close to where I was sitting. They both got out of their cars and came walking up to me. The new guy then told me that I could not carry on campus due to their "rules" unless I had a permit and it was concealed. I informed him as I did the first guy that I was under no obligation to have a permit and why. He asked me for my name to which I said "none of your business".

He asked me why I was there and I told him exactly why. I was there as a private citizen to attend the city council meeting and the campus rules did not apply to me. Since I happen to have been there to address the council regarding city ordinances regarding firearms in city parks, I happened to have paperwork including RCW 9.41.050 and I allowed the guard to read that particular law. He then called his boss to find out what he should do. After a short conversation with his boss, he came back over to me, handed me back my papers and said that I was good to go and to have a nice evening. He and his partner walked away only to walk back a minute later and ask me what the RCW was again so he could look it up for future reference. And mind you, I had been recording the entire exchange with my digital audio recorder.

Fast forward to the meeting...

As I said, I was there to address the council regarding city ordinances prohibiting the carrying of firearms in city parks unless you are a police officer or licenced to carry concealed. While there, I found out that the city is in the process of changing a certian law prohibiting the discharge of firearms within city limits and in fact, the owner of Welcher's Gun Shop is looking to purchase property in lakewood to build a new shop with attached indoor firing range. But due to current city laws, is unable to. The outcome of the meeting was that the portion of the laws prohibiting the discharge of firearms within city limits is being changed. Mr. Welcher informed me that hopefully by next summer at the latest, he should have his new store up and running with the firing range and he will be completely moving out of his current location at 64th and Pacific in tacoma.

Nice job. Proactive measures to effect change. EXACTLY what I have been talking about. I did the same thing in my city regarding prohibition of firearms signs in the city park. They promptly removed the signs within days of the meeting. Generally speaking, govt. and that include PD's want to do the right thing and want to be consistent with the law. If you politely, knowledgeably (good to have the RCW cite) inform them , they are ime more than likely to amend policy and practices to follow the law

Of course we are familiar with the Seattle mayor 'executive order' to ban guns OC'd or concealed in city parks, how the AG told him he was full of it and such city ordinance would be illegal/unenforceable and the local lawyer who carried a gun to one such facility and called police to inform them, getting his trespass warning and thus standing in court. The executive order was thrown out.

every PD/SO should have policy/procedures/training in dealing with OC'ers and with people filming the police. Both are entirely protected activities and police should be trained and given policy in how to properly respond (or not respond) to such activities.