• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Naming your child is a privilege that can be regulated.......

77zach

Actually in Kalifornia (sic) it is. CA courts have said (ruling against homeschooling) that parents look after children on behalf of the state. Children are in essence leased by parents. Welcome to the Land O' the Free!

sudden valley gunner

Actually in Kalifornia (sic) it is. CA courts have said (ruling against homeschooling) that parents look after children on behalf of the state. Children are in essence leased by parents. Welcome to the Land O' the Free!

Sad....and this is a good point you brought up.

The states have mandated an 18 yr. lease, (in special cases up to 26) at which point full ownership is resumed by the state. This viewpoint alludes that we are not free, but nothing more than human components in their machine.

david.ross

The kid can always change their name back if he wishes once he turns 18.

The concerning part is a government entity getting involved in religion in this specific case. Who's he to say who earned a title?

A name is what a person believes in him/herself, personally I'm not called any of the names my birth parents gave me. I will say this, the courts have also declared they can regulate what you want to change your name to for legal purposes. Boomer the Dog is a good example.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...ame-legally-changed-to-boomer-the-dog-258970/

DrakeZ07

The kid can always change their name back if he wishes once he turns 18.

The concerning part is a government entity getting involved in religion in this specific case. Who's he to say who earned a title?

A name is what a person believes in him/herself, personally I'm not called any of the names my birth parents gave me. I will say this, the courts have also declared they can regulate what you want to change your name to for legal purposes. Boomer the Dog is a good example.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...ame-legally-changed-to-boomer-the-dog-258970/

Oh Gods, as soon as I saw the link name, I did a major face-paw, and knew it'd be about Furries.

That case is one of the reasons why we cannot have nice things. D:<

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just have the BC say:

First name: first name, whatever

Second name: any judge who reads this is a doo doo head

Third name: whatever

:monkey:monkey:monkey

Mattimusmaximus

This is rather funny cause my friend changed his name to "hazard579" don't know why but that's his legal name now

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Near as I can tell, the word messiah (modern spelling) meant a certain kind of leader. The term The Messiah meant/means a very particular leader.

From what I can see, some uppity, arrogant Christians think they can co-opt a word that wasn't even theirs to begin with, and now deny others using it.

They don't even deserve sensitivity to their religious concerns on this one. Just laff in their faces.

Or, ask them if they really like comparing favorably to Muslims who criminalize disrespect toward their prophet. Can't be too many more years before this brand of Christians starts asking for laws forbidding disrespect toward their Messiah.

For pete's sake, are they gonna start forbidding Hispanics naming their boys Jesus? Even Muslims name their kids Mohammed.

What an ugly blotch on the hope and good of all religions. I think we can safely say this particular judge badly needs more religion himself.

Heh, heh, heh. I wonder how he would reply if asked, "What would Jesus do?"

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Near as I can tell, the word messiah (modern spelling) meant a certain kind of leader. The term The Messiah meant/means a very particular leader.

From what I can see, some uppity, arrogant Christians think they can co-opt a word that wasn't even theirs to begin with, and now deny others using it.

They don't even deserve sensitivity to their religious concerns on this one. Just laff in their faces.

Or, ask them if they really like comparing favorably to Muslims who criminalize disrespect toward their prophet. Can't be too many more years before this brand of Christians starts asking for laws forbidding disrespect toward their Messiah.

For pete's sake, are they gonna start forbidding Hispanics naming their boys Jesus? Even Muslims name their kids Mohammed.

What an ugly blotch on the hope and good of all religions. I think we can safely say this particular judge badly needs more religion himself.

How many Muslim boys are named Mohammed (sp??)?

Germany has a law against naming a kid Adolph. Can't figure out why.

Norway, or Finland, has some very strict laws on the naming of kids - as names describe familial relationship and they are unwilling to change the culture to accommodate the desire of some Scandahoovian hippy parents.

Several Asian countries have laws prohibiting certain names because of the negative social/cultural issues that would result.

Racist prejudicial alert! There ought to be a law (or several laws) against allowing certain segments of US society from giving their children some of the names they have been saddled with. Going through life as Baby Doe #1 would probably be better than having to live with some of the horrors parents do to their kids.

stay safe.

OC for ME

All of those aforementioned countries do not recognize individual rights. In this country the state is prohibited from interfering because it is not an enumerated power for the courts to bless, or condemn, the names given to babies by their parents, even when the baby is named Adolf. Anyone who agrees with the courts decision is anti-liberty and anti-citizen.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
All of those aforementioned countries do not recognize individual rights. In this country the state is prohibited from interfering because it is not an enumerated power for the courts to bless, or condemn, the names given to babies by their parents, even when the baby is named Adolf. Anyone who agrees with the courts decision is anti-liberty and anti-citizen.

Then let's go back to Muslim boys being named Mohammed. Stipulate that roughly 5% (a lowball figure) of all men are retards, *******, jerks, and general [expletive deleted]-ups. Stipulate that somewhat more than 5% of Muslim boys are named Mohanmed. That should give us minimally 0.25% of Muslim boys who show disrespect to The Prophet by their mere existence. Further stipulate that Sharia law does not recognize individual rights - and especially so when it comes to showing disrespect to The Prophet.

Question - why are we not seeing a reduction, if not a discontinuing, of giving Muslim boys the name Mohammed as a prophylactic against showing disrespect to The Prophet?

stay safe.

(I know - expecting both consistency and logic from the Musim religion is an unfair tactic.)

OC for ME

Then let's go back to Muslim boys being named Mohammed. Stipulate that roughly 5% (a lowball figure) of all men are retards, *******, jerks, and general [expletive deleted]-ups. Stipulate that somewhat more than 5% of Muslim boys are named Mohanmed. That should give us minimally 0.25% of Muslim boys who show disrespect to The Prophet by their mere existence. Further stipulate that Sharia law does not recognize individual rights - and especially so when it comes to showing disrespect to The Prophet.

Question - why are we not seeing a reduction, if not a discontinuing, of giving Muslim boys the name Mohammed as a prophylactic against showing disrespect to The Prophet?

stay safe.

(I know - expecting both consistency and logic from the Musim religion is an unfair tactic.)
Your apple, my orange. Mohammad, peace be upon him, is a name. Messiah is a title, the judge said so. If the kid would have been named Jesus, and not pronounced hey-zeus, then nobody would have likely complained, not even that nitwit judge.

The judge's justification is dead wrong. It is anti-liberty, to the inth degree, to even think that the government entering into the "baby name good or bad" business is even worthy of discussion.

Black_water

You about summed up my feelings, save for the uppity Christian bit. This is a decision by a single person, not a community.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Your apple, my orange. Mohammad, peace be upon him, is a name. Messiah is a title, the judge said so. If the kid would have been named Jesus, and not pronounced hey-zeus, then nobody would have likely complained, not even that nitwit judge.

The judge's justification is dead wrong. It is anti-liberty, to the inth degree, to even think that the government entering into the "baby name good or bad" business is even worthy of discussion.

Messiah was word. Christians made it a title. I'm not an expert in this area, but I don't think even the Jews, who were looking for a messiah (Jewish word, modern spelling) called Him the Messiah.

Lots of surnames in English come from a human trade or function--Baker, Cooper, Cartwright, Carpenter, Doorman, Fisher...etc, etc., etc.

Christians can't co-opt a word and then deny other's the use.

Of course, all that is totally beside the fact that government has no authority to deny parents a name.

Last edited:

georg jetson

Messiah was word. Christians made it a title. I'm not an expert in this area, but I don't think even the Jews, who were looking for a messiah (Jewish word, modern spelling) called Him the Messiah.

Lots of surnames in English come from a human trade or function--Baker, Cooper, Cartwright, Carpenter, Doorman, Fisher...etc, etc., etc.

Christians can't co-opt a word and then deny other's the use.

Of course, all that is totally beside the fact that government has no authority to deny parents a name.

Nor any authority over family affairs at all. The camel's nose,head and body is in the tent. Aint no getting it out now.