• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Naming your child is a privilege that can be regulated.......

davidmcbeth

Banned
hey, middle name: I'm going to kill you

Then whenever you threaten someone, you can just say "hey, I was just telling u my middle name" ... ;)

Da Rat Bastid

I wonder what her honor's response would have been if it were a Latino couple naming their son Jesus (of which there are quite a few examples)?

I agree with those who've said that the government (well, the U.S. government) has no right to do this.

sudden valley gunner

Messiah was word. Christians made it a title. I'm not an expert in this area, but I don't think even the Jews, who were looking for a messiah (Jewish word, modern spelling) called Him the Messiah.

Lots of surnames in English come from a human trade or function--Baker, Cooper, Cartwright, Carpenter, Doorman, Fisher...etc, etc., etc.

Christians can't co-opt a word and then deny other's the use.

Of course, all that is totally beside the fact that government has no authority to deny parents a name.

Yep, there were many Messiahs, this judge's ruling as shown by some of the news clips shows it is a total religious bias, when she claims there was only one to have that title and it was Jesus Christ, which made me laugh because christ is the English translation of the Greek translation of the Hebrew word for messiah.

Side note there were several messiahs, from what I can remember from my studies in Hebrew history, and there were also other Jesus's.

I was also hoping to hear from those who say we are granted "privileges" and how they would argue for or against this one.

georg jetson

Yep, there were many Messiahs, this judge's ruling as shown by some of the news clips shows it is a total religious bias, when she claims there was only one to have that title and it was Jesus Christ, which made me laugh because christ is the English translation of the Greek translation of the Hebrew word for messiah.

Side note there were several messiahs, from what I can remember from my studies in Hebrew history, and there were also other Jesus's.

I was also hoping to hear from those who say we are granted "privileges" and how they would argue for or against this one.

I guess there are two issues here.

1. A judge is basing a ruling on religious bias

2. Children either belong to their parents or the state. Cant be both and it cant be neither.

sudden valley gunner

I guess there are two issues here.

1. A judge is basing a ruling on religious bias

2. Children either belong to their parents or the state. Cant be both and it cant be neither.

I don't think children belong to their parents. My belief is that it is a parents responsibility to raise their progeny.

It does seem to be the state arguing they belong to them, of course the state believes we all belong to it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP It does seem to be the state arguing [children] belong to them, of course the state believes we all belong to it.

If that's their argument, which it seems to be, then every member of the govenment needs to be thrown in jail for child abuse.

The state taxes, and regulates, and economically suppresses the parents--that alone deserves life in prison for child abuse.

Every time CPS screws up--years in prison for child endangerment.

Every time a SWAT team raids a home with kids inside--years in prison for child endangerment.

Y'all get the idea.

georg jetson

I don't think children belong to their parents. My belief is that it is a parents responsibility to raise their progeny.

It does seem to be the state arguing they belong to them, of course the state believes we all belong to it.

How can it be that children dont belong to their parents? Where is the reonsibility without ownership? How can I raise a child the way I wish if it doenst belong to me?

If parants do not claim ownership of their children, the state surely will.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
How can it be that children dont belong to their parents? Where is the reonsibility without ownership? How can I raise a child the way I wish if it doenst belong to me?

If parants do not claim ownership of their children, the state surely will.

People can not - ever - be owned. This applies to parents and the state, and to any other would-be slave owner.

End of discussion.

MamabearCali

People can not - ever - be owned. This applies to parents and the state, and to any other would-be slave owner.

End of discussion.

Precisely! Children belong to themselves and IMO to God. Parents are entrusted with the care and education of their children while the children are in their minority. The correct role of the state is to punish those who inflict serious and lasting harm on their children, then and only then should the state be anywhere near child parent relations.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Precisely! Children belong to themselves and IMO to God. Parents are entrusted with the care and education of their children while the children are in their minority. The correct role of the state is to punish those who inflict serious and lasting harm on their children, then and only then should the state be anywhere near child parent relations.

I agree. georg has made it clear that to him "family" is special and sacrosanct - even over life and limb.

I tend towards anarchism, but it recognizing that we live under government I generally espouse minarchist positions. Thus, I favor a government which does little other than offer reprisal against overt aggression - rape, murder, theft and the like. These - life, self-ownership, and property - are sacrosanct. Family doesn't even get on the list (consider that one need not have a family to simply be alive). Government, if it is to do anything, should punish rapists and murderers.

An brief aside: while the "law of the land" provides no consensus on whether abortion is murder (for example), there is a very real consensus that it is murder for parents to kill their born children. Family does not trump the right to live. The right to live is universal. Family is not.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What's your definition of slavery?

Being owned.

It's pointless to define it as "being forced to act against one's will", because, for instance, one person might desire to murder another and the law might stop him from doing so. He is not a slave because of this - at some point (specifically, when he no longer desires to murder) he will regain his freedom of action. Slavery implies absolute and perpetual abrogation of free will.

Children, like the deterred criminal, are not held in perpetual thrall. They "graduate" into possession of full autonomy. Slaves do not.

Last edited:

georg jetson

Since you bring up "God", then ill agree with you sort of... Children belong to God who then gives them to parents.

The state can never be trusted to interfere between children and parents save divorce and neglect.

georg jetson

Being owned.

It's pointless to define it as "being forced to act against one's will", because, for instance, one person might desire to murder another and the law might stop him from doing so. He is not a slave because of this. Slavery implies absolute and perpetual abrogation of free will.

Ok. Well, as you've seen me explain before, the "ownership" enjoyed by parents is not perpetual. It would end at the age of majority or perhaps at some time sooner where the child displays adequate resposibility.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The state can never be trusted to interfere between children and parents save divorce and neglect.

Make no mistake, friend, I'm right there with you 99.9% of the way. The state has far too much ability to intervene in the family.

I would not only end every present-day CPS program and fire all their employees, I would "grievously amerce" (if not jail) most of them, as an approximation of justice. They have all committed countless egregious crimes against the common law.

We've gone way too far, and not only is more harm being done than good, we've actually turned taking children from their parents into a profitable industry. (If that doesn't make you sick to your stomach, and radically anti-government, I dunno what will).

All that being said, I do not oppose, in principle, the state prosecuting child rapists or murderers, or taking charge of children subject to real gross neglect.

That the state cannot seem to accomplish this very narrow goal without encroaching where it does not belong, committing overt aggression, and generally making things worse is, I'm afraid, par for the course. This is true of all of the (very few) activities I consider within the legitimate purview of government. Government can't even prosecute criminals without absolutely wrecking the effective (and liberty-preserving) common law trial by jury, not to mention imprisoning millions of innocents for no crime whatsoever.

But, this is why I'm an anarchist at heart. The children/parents issue isn't special in this regard. Government just sucks, period.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Ok. Well, as you've seen me explain before, the "ownership" enjoyed by parents is not perpetual. It would end at the age of majority or perhaps at some time sooner where the child displays adequate resposibility.

Indeed.

Say I hand you some car keys. You are free to do anything you please with the car (except egregiously damage it). However, after a period of time (n years), possession/control of the car will revert to me.

Do you own the car?

georg jetson

SNIPAll that being said, I do not oppose, in principle, the state prosecuting child rapists or murderers, or taking charge of children subject to real gross neglect.

That the state cannot seem to accomplish this very narrow goal without encroaching where it does not belong, committing overt aggression, and generally making things worse is, I'm afraid, par for the course. This is true of all of the (very few) activities I consider within the legitimate purview of government. Government can't even prosecute criminals without absolutely wrecking the effective (and liberty-preserving) common law trial by jury, not to mention imprisoning millions of innocents for no crime whatsoever.

But, this is why I'm an anarchist at heart. The children/parents issue isn't special in this regard. Government just sucks, period.

Yep... we're about 99.9% in agreement.

The last line in your post summarizes our .1% difference. The parent child issue IS special. If I may offer my arguments...

1. Where government intervenes between two adults, there is no right of one adult to teach/mentor/discipline over another. There is only one thing to worry about with adult-adult relationships... they MUST be voluntary. This is not the case with the parent/child. It begins involuntarily for the child. It's the nature of the relationship. Indeed, because it is a parent/child relationship, very little is voluntary for the child.

2. Crime between adults occurs often enough to risk having a government involved. While no perfect system will ever exist, the necessary evil of government is outweighed by the fact that a limited government will injure people less often than we will injure each other. This is not the case where government is given authority over the parent child relationship. 99.999% of parents love their children and are good parents. Getting government involved is not worth the risk for the few instances that parents treat their children grievously.

Summing 1 and 2: Since parents are charged with instilling, morality, beliefs etc, such things can never be allowed to be determined by a government. Because those things are specifically outside of the governments duties it can never be in a position to determine whether a set of parents are being good or bad, criminal or non criminal. The injustices committed by government will ALWAYS outweigh the injustices committed by bad parents.

Last edited:

georg jetson

Indeed.

Say I hand you some car keys. You are free to do anything you please with the car (except egregiously damage it). However, after a period of time (n years), possession/control of the car will revert to me.

Do you own the car?

At first thought I agreed with this, but then considered that nothing is perpetual. We can't take it with us.

So, I'll assume you mean perpetual as "until death".

May I submit that parents lease their children. They enjoy 100% possesion until such time that the lease runs out.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
1: This is true. To me this implies that there needs to be a lot more leeway, for instance in the use of force, than there would be against another adult. Whereas, against an adult, even certain forms of touching can constitute simple battery, but against one's own children even certain forms of hitting - such as spanking - might not be "battery" at all. That doesn't mean there isn't a line.

As I was eating a sandwich and taking a break from the discussion, I was thinking about this issue. How exactly do you legislate it? Where do you draw the line? What is (or should be) the letter of the law?

I concluded that there is no hard and fast law than can be written. It would, necessarily, always still depend on judgment; for instance, you might prohibit "unreasonable" or perhaps "unusual" force against one's children. This is OK because you need a jury anyway, but it occurred to me that this is exactly the sort of thing that inspired juries in the first place. You don't need a highly specific law, with a clear line of conduct. What you need, to have government rightly take action in specific cases of child abuse, is nothing more nor less than evidence of conduct so obviously egregious and harmful than you could convince 12 jurors, selected by lot from the citizenry, to take action (which action they - the jury - would directly decide).

And who but the offending parents could reasonably find fault with such action (whatever it may be), assuming the normal avenues of appeal are open and due process has been observed?

Basically, this is an issue for juries, not legislators. (But then, when is this ever not so? After all, even homicide may not be a criminal act, if justified. And who but a jury should decide whether anything is justified?)

The problem - but, then again, this is this problem with all criminal offenses of every sort - is that a legislature can write some ridiculous law which sounds good on paper - or, perhaps more likely, in words ("Gee, who could oppose a law against HURTING TEH CHILDREN?") - and then judges can convince a jury that they have no choice but to convict over any technical violation of that law's language (with absolutely no regard for the justice or appropriateness of the penalty or action assigned by the law). Also, that voire dire has been grossly overextended and probably ought to be eliminated entirely. And, of course, that the government has empowered itself to actually break up a family without resorting to a jury at all - which should be completely banned. (Government should never be able to take any action whatsoever against the lives, freedom, or property of an individual without first getting the approval of a jury.)

Frankly, as I see it the only way to resolve the conflict is a substantial return to common law - castrate legislatures and empower juries. :)

/long-winded tangent

2. I'm not sure I see the validity of this argument. First of all, I kind of doubt that there really is a huge difference in the percentage of people who are aggressive to other adults vs those who are aggressive towards their children. But even if there is a difference, so what? The overwhelming majority of people are basically good, nonaggressive people. The same is true for parents. Does that somehow mean the victims of those few who are aggressive deserve less protection by the law?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
May I submit that parents lease their children. They enjoy 100% possesion until such time that the lease runs out.

So indentured servitude, then? :lol:

See my response to 1. above. Assuming the prior approval of a properly empowered jury taken by lot, you will never convince me that parents have 100% possession to rape, murder, or egregiously physically abuse their children, with impunity from any corrective action on the part of said jury.

Last edited: