• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Fraternal Order of Police 61st National Conference & Expo Cincinnati

ps1mhd

Police from all over will be at the Duke Energy Convention Center this week.
Meetings in the mornings. Good time to let them see what a OC state looks like.

Mike

MyWifeSaidYes

At the Bloomberg/MAIG/No More Names event in Cincy on Saturday, we ran into a lot of LEO's that came in for the convention. I talked to around a dozen in total and NONE of them were aware that Ohio was an open carry state, except for one from Arizona.

He thanked us.

As we were leaving the event, four of these visiting LEO's asked us where the beer bash was, thinking we were LEO's. When we corrected them, one of them said to another, and I quote, "You mean I could be open carrying? Why didn't you tell me? Where the gun store at?"

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
At the Bloomberg/MAIG/No More Names event in Cincy on Saturday, we ran into a lot of LEO's that came in for the convention. I talked to around a dozen in total and NONE of them were aware that Ohio was an open carry state, except for one from Arizona.

He thanked us.

As we were leaving the event, four of these visiting LEO's asked us where the beer bash was, thinking we were LEO's. When we corrected them, one of them said to another, and I quote, "You mean I could be open carrying? Why didn't you tell me? Where the gun store at?"
And those officers were from Florida. You cannot open carry in Florida.

Brian D.

Funny this subject came up. Sunday night I made a brief "pit stop" at the Covington Ky. Radisson Hotel. (Hey I was just coming back from the OFCC shindig 130 plus miles to the north, was heading elsewhere in Covington for a meal, and that Radisson has very clean restrooms.) Anyway I saw Illinois 'FOP' branded license plates on several cars before entering and remembered there was a national convention starting up in the area. So, my walking to and from the comfort break was accomplished in OC fashion. You wanna open some eyes and drop a few jaws, open carry in the midst of police officers visiting from Illinois.

An hour or so later some of the same folks saw me again near the restaurant I'd dined in and they started asking questions...not in any official capacity of course, it was more like they had figured out they were in a place much different from their homeland and wanted to LEARN something.

OC for ME

^^

Did you inform them that you are a Citizen Volunteer Boarder Guard and that they would have to show you their papers? Passport comes to mind, Illinois is a whole other country.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Funny this subject came up. Sunday night I made a brief "pit stop" at the Covington Ky. Radisson Hotel. (Hey I was just coming back from the OFCC shindig 130 plus miles to the north, was heading elsewhere in Covington for a meal, and that Radisson has very clean restrooms.) Anyway I saw Illinois 'FOP' branded license plates on several cars before entering and remembered there was a national convention starting up in the area. So, my walking to and from the comfort break was accomplished in OC fashion. You wanna open some eyes and drop a few jaws, open carry in the midst of police officers visiting from Illinois.

An hour or so later some of the same folks saw me again near the restaurant I'd dined in and they started asking questions...not in any official capacity of course, it was more like they had figured out they were in a place much different from their homeland and wanted to LEARN something.
OK, so now you've got us interested... Tell us how the conversation went!

Brian D.

The gist of it was that those particular Illinois FOP'ers must not bother to look up gun laws before they travel. Collectively they had no idea of such things in either Ohio or Kentucky. I'm certainly no scholar on these topics but gave them a bit of general info relevant to the two states. Reading between the lines I surmised that most of them hadn't brought a gun along.

They were also interested in where to purchase certain federally regulated and taxed items that are not represented by the letters 'F' or 'E' in BATFE, as Kentucky's prices on such are WAY better than in Illinois. That, they had apparently researched before the journey.

ShootinRugers

They were also interested in where to purchase certain federally regulated and taxed items that are not represented by the letters 'F' or 'E' in BATFE, as Kentucky's prices on such are WAY better than in Illinois. That, they had apparently researched before the journey.

Those are the priorities at meets like the FOP.