Thread: Pistol stolen/lost and now found.

Pistol stolen/lost and now found.

pistol found, apparently my wife really is a blonde. Anyway...

When looking through the case for the paperwork, I found an envelope with a spent shell casing. Is there a database that the government keeps?
    Last edited by cyras21; 08-12-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: clueless wife

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyras21 View Post
    Just found out that my wife's pistol was stolen. It's a Springfield XD subcompact 9mm serial #XD193015674.

When looking through the case for the paper work, I found an envelope with a spent shell casing. Is there a database that the government keeps?
    Not unless your wife murdered someone and shell casings are sitting in an evidence bag somewhere.
    Don't encourage them either. They try to get support for those databases once in a while.

Sorry about the gun. Hope your insurance covers it. Don't forget to tell them about the genuine pre-ban elephant ivory grips and diamond inset night site.
    Last edited by peter nap; 08-12-2013 at 07:05 PM.

There have always been rumors that some part of the .fed.gov maintains a stolen-firearms database. It's supposedly the one the cops call in to when they are checking the serial number of your gun.

But I have never found independent verification that it exists.

All the same, your insurance probably wil require a police report before they start the process of offering you - on a take it or leave it basis - a deeply depreciated value for the handgun. Check your policy to see if you bought full replacement coverage as opposed to what they say it is worth after getting banged up during the theft.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

That's good advice and if they try to use the one I quoted.....

pistol found, apparently my wife really is a blonde. Anyway...

When looking through the case for the paperwork, I found an envelope with a spent shell casing. Is there a database that the government keeps?
    Glad you found it!

I believe some states require you to supply the spent casing when you register the gun. So if you ever decide to become a criminal and are stupid enough to use the gun you have registered, AND they recover other spent casings at the scene of the crime, THEN they will know who to come looking for.

I have some waterfront property for sale in Nevada too.

TFred

P.S. This whole idea just confirms the gun-grabber mentality that all legal gun-owners are really criminals, they just haven't committed the crimes - yet.
    Last edited by TFred; 08-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

P.S. This whole idea just confirms the gun-grabber mentality that all legal gun-owners are really criminals, they just haven't committed the crimes - yet.
    Ya mean like Virginia's VCIN, where info about CHP holders is stored? The 'C' stands for criminal.

The last two pistols I bought, both have came with a little yellow envelope with a casing in it. I assumed it was for idiots who didn't know what ammo their gun shoots lol. Both of my guns are S&W. Maybe this was put with the paperwork
    Last edited by lil_shawn1990; 08-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by lil_shawn1990 View Post
    The last two pistols I bought, both have came with a little yellow envelope with a casing in it. I assumed it was for idiots who didn't know what ammo their gun shoots lol. Both of my guns are S&W. Maybe this was put with the paperwork
    It's to show it was test fired.

BTW, whoever removed the serial number from my post....It wasn't his number. It was the stocking number from something I got from Amazon
    I wasn't going to put his number up even if he did.

Wow!!!

Sooo, you misplaced your gun for,,, nine minutes!!!
    during that 9 mins, you post it stolen, here.
    did you call the cops?
    did you call your insurance too?
    remember you only have 9 mins to get this all done.

some folks would just shoot a neighborhood kid!

did you give your blond, a sternly worded, sit down, talking to?
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

And then there is the

"micro stamping" on the hammer. When that was supposed to start I am not sure. It is supposed to imprint on every shell casing so as to assist the gubermant with tracking criminals.

Yeah, right. Just another method of tracking legal gun owners.

apparently my wife really is a blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    did you call the cops?

Just a ruse to let us know he had a blonde wife...or to post his firearm's serial number, (which it might be prudent to remove). Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Just a ruse to let us know he had a blonde wife...or to post his firearm's serial number, (which it might be prudent to remove). Just sayin'...
    I changed his serial number when I quoted it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    i changed his cereal number when i quoted it.
    fify

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I have some waterfront property for sale in Nevada too.

TFred.
    You should really stop using this as an example! NV does have homes that are waterfront.
    If you buy a waterfront home in Southern NV Celine Dion might be your neighbor. And, let us not forget about Lake Tahoe, there is a (freer/better side) NV side.

Your using an example that is incorrect makes you seem less than intelligent, especially when you are trying to point out someone else's foolishness.

Try oceanfront next time, as there are no oceans in NV.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You should really stop using this as an example! NV does have homes that are waterfront.
    If you buy a waterfront home in Southern NV Celine Dion might be your neighbor. And, let us not forget about Lake Tahoe, there is a (freer/better side) NV side.

Your using an example that is incorrect makes you seem less than intelligent, especially when you are trying to point out someone else's foolishness.

Try oceanfront next time, as there are no oceans in NV.
    "You should really stop using" rather implies multiple occasions. Have I used this before? I was not really keeping track.

In any case, duly noted, and probably what I was thinking anyway.

TFred

did you call the cops?

yep you got it. figured we'd post it stolen before we looked for it. Seriously?!?

Banned
    yep you got it. figured we'd post it stolen before we looked for it. Seriously?!?
    Wait I lost several of my guns too.

Banned
    did you call the cops?

Oh wait, I found them ... never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Oh wait, I found them ... never mind...
    rude
    “The constitution shall never be construed… to prevent the people of the united states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms”

Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There have always been rumors that some part of the .fed.gov maintains a stolen-firearms database. It's supposedly the one the cops call in to when they are checking the serial number of your gun.

But I have never found independent verification that it exists.

All the same, your insurance probably wil require a police report before they start the process of offering you - on a take it or leave it basis - a deeply depreciated value for the handgun. Check your policy to see if you bought full replacement coverage as opposed to what they say it is worth after getting banged up during the theft.

stay safe.
    Here you go - the National Crime Information Center.

I once acquired a nice pistol in return for helping a guy with his computer. He was in a huge hurry, because his tax records were on there and apparently he had an appointment with an IRS auditor that afternoon. It took me about twenty minutes to get it working again, and I got a Stainless Super Blackhawk in .44mag out of the deal.

A few weeks later, the guy showed up in the local paper as being arrested for fencing stolen goods. I went down to the sheriff's office with the gun's information and asked them to see if it was stolen. The dispatcher made a call, gave them the information, and about ten minutes later they handed me a fax showing that the gun's serial number had never been reported as stolen. That paper had the NCIC's name and logo on the letterhead, which is how I know about the system.

I've heard third-hand that it's very difficult to get records expunged from that system. Supposedly, people who have had their guns stolen and returned were later arrested for theft as a result of their gun showing up "hot" in an NCIC check years later.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsy Simon View Post
    Here you go - the National Crime Information Center.

--snipped--
    Appreciate that link/connection - I had missed it before.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Lost all of my guns in a tragic boating accident... can I post in this thread?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington