• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC or CC into Police stations?

Lyndsy Simon

I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to run it by the forum first.

Is there any reason I can't OC or CC into the local police station?

My vehicle was burglarized today, and I need to file a police report - otherwise, I'd not go near the place. With the recent crime wave that Charlottesville appears to be experiencing, I'm not about to go downtown at night unarmed.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If I'm not mistaken, you can carry open or concealed into a police station as long as it does not contain holding cells or provisions for holding suspects/prisoners. I have open carried into a police precinct in Fairfax with as many as perhaps 100 other folks, all of whom were open carrying.

Last edited:

VApatriot

With the standard disclaimer that I am not a lawyer, yes, you can typically OC or CC (with a permit) in an unsecured area of a state or local police station in Virginia. VCDL's monthly membership meetings in Annandale are held in a build that houses county offices and a district police station.

Edit: WOW! I've been on OCDO for about 8 years, and I've seen at least 3 different message boards used for the site, yet I only just hit the 1,000 post mark with this post. I am absolutely blown away by davidmcbeth's 6,700 posts since January 2012!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Police stations as part of municipalities are included in state preemption, excepting secure (jail) holding areas.

Have personally OCd in Richmond, Chesterfield, and Henrico PD buildings - In fact many VCDL meetings are held in Annandale facility that also houses the local PD.

Last edited:

POPS VA

I'm under no illusion that my $4 will be recovered.

I am, however, moderately concerned now that I believe there are two young men out there that know where I park my vehicle for work, and know that I carry.

Lyndsy
Aside from the 4 bucks, why do you think they know you carry?:confused:

davidmcbeth

Banned
well if you know the 2 people, act crazy around them ...

crazy and armed? Lets pick out another target ....

keep the faith !