• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma OC'er at 26th/Pearl Safeway

Stoked

Hi all, been a long time since I've been on this board. I'd even forgotten all about it until this afternoon. See, I almost never OC, save hunting season in the woods and the occasional overheated moment when I have to take off my sweater or whatever.

I was at Safeway this afternoon, the one at about 26th and North Pearl in Tacoma. There was one of those paid signature gatherers out front of the store, asking people to sign a petition to mandate "OMG full background checks on ALL gun purchases!". I know these guys are paid, as I talked to one in Olympia last week. As I went in, he tried to ask me to sign. Thanks, but no thanks. I conducted my normal business inside, and when I came back out, there was a younger man, white shirt and shorts, OC'ing, in an argument with the petition guy.

Now, I'm all for OC. As I stated above, I may not choose to do it, but I will defend anyone else's right to do so. I will also construct a logical, sensible, CALM argument with any antis who want to preach infringement.

That being said, the OC'er in question should just SHUT UP and WALK AWAY next time. I do not know what transpired prior to my arrival, but I do know how you reacted was wrong. The sheeple out there who vote gun grabbers in and keep them there choose people exactly like you to reflect upon when conversing about firearms rights.

A calm, polite, rational conversation is the way to handle someone like petition boy and the two elderly women who were there as well.

Storming across the parking lot, screaming at the top of your lungs is not...Especially when the person you're yelling at is just standing there, shocked, watching you rant at the top of your lungs as you stalk away.

If you read this and wish to defend your actions, please feel free.

If not, then next time you're in a situation like this, try using your head first, and not screaming things like (actual quotes):

"Educate yourself before you sell people your BULLS**T next time, you fu**ing idiot"

and

"Enjoy your FEMA camp next year!"

Is that REALLY the way you want gun owners represented?

Moron.

/rant

Last edited:

2Apatriot

regarding open carry @ 26th & Pearl

Well Stoked, let me start by saying that was me and as you said you missed the entire first half of the conversation so let s recap ... it started with him asking me to sign the petition. When I calmly started to explain that there are alreadybackground checks on all gun sales and asked him when he had last tried to purchase a gun, he threatened to call the cops on me for obstructing his petition taking.... I then told him about the first amendment and said call them..... i continued to educate the people around him about internet sales and shipping to a dealer, where as you know, you then do a background check.thats when he "rebuked me in the name of jesus"thats when i drew the line and told him to go **** jesus...! Jesus has no place in the constitution and bill of rights other than your freedom to worship. ..! Thats about when you came in..... i am a frequent customer of that store, a 42 year northend resident and strong supporter of the constitution... maybe you should shut the f up when you dont know the whole story..! I have a right to carry and own ... their comfort is not a right and i dont take kindly to being threatened or "rebuked" by some anti-american religious nutball!!! So before you lecture me, maybe you should be alittle more passionate about your rights and country !!
Hi all, been a long time since I've been on this board. I'd even forgotten all about it until this afternoon. See, I almost never OC, save hunting season in the woods and the occasional overheated moment when I have to take off my sweater or whatever.

I was at Safeway this afternoon, the one at about 26th and North Pearl in Tacoma. There was one of those paid signature gatherers out front of the store, asking people to sign a petition to mandate "OMG full background checks on ALL gun purchases!". I know these guys are paid, as I talked to one in Olympia last week. As I went in, he tried to ask me to sign. Thanks, but no thanks. I conducted my normal business inside, and when I came back out, there was a younger man, white shirt and shorts, OC'ing, in an argument with the petition guy.

Now, I'm all for OC. As I stated above, I may not choose to do it, but I will defend anyone else's right to do so. I will also construct a logical, sensible, CALM argument with any antis who want to preach infringement.

That being said, the OC'er in question should just SHUT UP and WALK AWAY next time. I do not know what transpired prior to my arrival, but I do know how you reacted was wrong. The sheeple out there who vote gun grabbers in and keep them there choose people exactly like you to reflect upon when conversing about firearms rights.

A calm, polite, rational conversation is the way to handle someone like petition boy and the two elderly women who were there as well.

Storming across the parking lot, screaming at the top of your lungs is not...Especially when the person you're yelling at is just standing there, shocked, watching you rant at the top of your lungs as you stalk away.

If you read this and wish to defend your actions, please feel free.

If not, then next time you're in a situation like this, try using your head first, and not screaming things like (actual quotes):

"Educate yourself before you sell people your BULLS**T next time, you fu**ing idiot"

and

"Enjoy your FEMA camp next year!"

Is that REALLY the way you want gun owners represented?

Moron.

/rant

Bill45

STOKED is right.

We do not need our image dragged in the mud with public vulgarity
If you can not express yourself with out obscenities then you should go back to school to learn proper English.

Try to learn a vocabulary to replace the F-bomb and stop insulting someone's religion. All you make are enemies and have no chance on changing minds.

Until then be quiet, stop showing your ignorance and embarrassing your community.

2Apatriot's proper approach to the situation would be to hand out a pamphlet or two and move on.

What's more 2Apatriot, as your post is your only post on this Forum, I suggest you are not what you purport to be, a open carry, second amendment friend, but instead a forum lurker, a anti gun nut, who just spouts off to cause trouble.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ahh, free speech. Seems like folks love it and hate it at the same time.

It's unclear what set the Pro-gunner off ... who knows, maybe the petitioner called him a baby killer.

I cannot however say that the pro-gunner acted inappropriately ... he was just expressing himself as the first amendment allows.

I am not an ambassador. As a president once said "I thought that this guy was my friend but as soon as I appointed him ambassador, he left the country" (does that have anything to do with anything here? I guess not, but I'll leave it in)

Like everyone here can say that they have not yelled at a person or public official at any time in support of the RKBA. Heck, I've gone to representatives' houses just to hammer at them ... we can do that. If I can get the rep to not run again, then mission accomplished!