• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive Carry Info for Visiting Las Vegas?

Boba Fett

Hello Nevada folks! Recently a very close friend of mine moved to North Las Vegas, and it's in my plans to go visit him sometime in the next several months. I was wondering what would be my best options for carrying a defensive tool while I am in town? I am 19 years old and have a non-resident concealed carry permit from Maine (which Nevada does not recognize to my knowledge). It is my understanding that it would be legal for me to open carry my Glock 19, but North Las Vegas has a city law banning OC for people without a CCL, even though state law preempts this. Is this true? (apparently not)) I can also carry a collapsable baton if the G19 won't be an option, assuming baton carry is legal (NRS 202.350 may apply).

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't even know of this mythical NLV open carry law everyone keeps talking about on the Internet (Granted, I've not bothered to waste time looking for it either). I open carry in NLV frequently, as do many of us.

If this law exists on the books (like their weapons in vehicles law), they are in full knowledge of it being preempted by state law. The vehicle law has only been attached to people pulled over for other offenses and otherwise act like thugs. I've never heard of it even mentioned to normal people.

Enjoy your visit!

Do NOT carry a baton in the state of NV.

EDIT: In reviewing www.handgunlaw.us, I think this is where everyone is getting it. I will write to Gary and see if he can reword it. He even only cites the weapons in vehicles ordinance when mentioning carrying of firearms in general.

Last edited:

Boba Fett

So OC should be good to go? Also, can you direct me to the law that lays out the vehicle thing? I want to know exactly what the punishments are.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So OC should be good to go? Also, can you direct me to the law that lays out the vehicle thing? I want to know exactly what the punishments are.

Yes, OC is good to go, as much in Nevada as any other of the free states.

NLV City Ordinance 9.32.080 - Deadly Weapon Prohibited in Vehicle—Exceptions.
It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other
type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the
carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for
the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

As mentioned, ignore it. Not only is firearms possession completely covered by state preemption, but good guys are by definition meeting one of the exemptions listed. Only thugs and the like are hassled by this law. I do not know the penalty, but there are thugs that have had it added to their list of charges. Those that have a smart lawyer will get even that charge dropped. Those of us not thugs don't worry about it.

chrsjhnsn

Hello Nevada folks! Recently a very close friend of mine moved to North Las Vegas, and it's in my plans to go visit him sometime in the next several months. I was wondering what would be my best options for carrying a defensive tool while I am in town? I am 19 years old and have a non-resident concealed carry permit from Maine (which Nevada does not recognize to my knowledge). It is my understanding that it would be legal for me to open carry my Glock 19, but North Las Vegas has a city law banning OC for people without a CCL, even though state law preempts this. Is this true? I can also carry a collapsable baton if the G19 won't be an option, assuming baton carry is legal (NRS 202.350 may apply).

IDK if collapsible baton's are legal but I do not really trust them.
I would get yourself a sturdy flashlight and carry that instead, I carry a small metal flashlight that I can use like a kubotan.
My last instructor for baton use-a cop who trains people/cops said the collapsible batons are worthless

Boba Fett

Yes, OC is good to go, as much in Nevada as any other of the free states.

NLV City Ordinance 9.32.080 - Deadly Weapon Prohibited in Vehicle—Exceptions.
It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other
type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the
carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for
the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

As mentioned, ignore it. Not only is firearms possession completely covered by state preemption, but good guys are by definition meeting one of the exemptions listed. Only thugs and the like are hassled by this law. I do not know the penalty, but there are thugs that have had it added to their list of charges. Those that have a smart lawyer will get even that charge dropped. Those of us not thugs don't worry about it.

Ok, Thank you very much! For the two months after I turned 18 I was CCL-less and in Missouri that means every time I got in a vehicle I had to unload and lock my gun. It was really annoying. Thank you for the info!

vegaspassat

Be advised that "striking"weapons are illegal in Nevada. I'm sure that includes flashlights since it includes things like baseball bats and shovels

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

28kfps

Ok, Thank you very much! For the two months after I turned 18 I was CCL-less and in Missouri that means every time I got in a vehicle I had to unload and lock my gun. It was really annoying. Thank you for the info!

You will have an advantage over your friend you will not be required to have a registered firearm. Isn’t that just amazing an out of state visitor can legally carry a unregistered firearm when a Clark County resident has to have a register firearm. Those wonderful common since gun laws.

Boba Fett

You will have an advantage over your friend you will not be required to have a registered firearm. Isn’t that just amazing an out of state visitor can legally carry a unregistered firearm when a Clark County resident has to have a register firearm. Those wonderful common since gun laws.

I thought firearm registration was illegal in the US? My friend just moved here from the Philippines 3 months ago, this could really confuse him!

The Big Guy

I thought firearm registration was illegal in the US? My friend just moved here from the Philippines 3 months ago, this could really confuse him!

Not sure where you got that idea, besides being unconstitutional in my opinion, firearms are registered all over the country. Here in NV Clark County which includes Las Vegas has registration and is the only county in NV allowed by state law to have handgun registration. If your friend is visiting us, unless he is going to stay here for more than 60 days, no registration is required here in Clark County.

TBG

Boba Fett

Wow that seems kind of unconstitutional and unfair! He lives there now, but it will be a while before he can own firearms. Anyways, Thanks guys for all the answers!