• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bus driver in Seattle, Shot.

amlevin

Once had a coworker try to tell me that Washington required everyone to carry an id and $1 or they could be arrested for vagrancy. She didn't seem to appreciate it when I told her she was flat out wrong and no such law existed.

You probably weren't around when such vagrancy laws DID exist.

There used to be a lot of laws like this until the court's tossed them out or pressure caused them to be repealed.

Did you know that at one time a woman couldn't sit at the bar in a tavern/lounge and be served a drink?

That you couldn't move your drink from the bar to a table, or from one table to another, without having the waiter/waitress carry it for you?

Some of us "old farts" do remember those laws. Just because the law isn't on the books today doesn't mean it wasn't at one time.

Want some fun, look at some of the former laws that limited your sexual practices, even if with your wife and in the privacy of your own home.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

EMNofSeattle

You probably weren't around when such vagrancy laws DID exist.

There used to be a lot of laws like this until the court's tossed them out or pressure caused them to be repealed.

Did you know that at one time a woman couldn't sit at the bar in a tavern/lounge and be served a drink?

That you couldn't move your drink from the bar to a table, or from one table to another, without having the waiter/waitress carry it for you?

Some of us "old farts" do remember those laws. Just because the law isn't on the books today doesn't mean it wasn't at one time.

Want some fun, look at some of the former laws that limited your sexual practices, even if with your wife and in the privacy of your own home.

because I was bored I went to the law library and looked up WA session laws going back to 1881, it has never been vagrancy to not have cash in your pocket in this state

however you WERE a vagrant if you

>Told Fortunes
>Solicited the business of an attorney at the courthouse
>were a healthy man who solicited alms
>were "a common drunkard at a house of Bawdiness"
played games of chance at an open table in public....

tombrewster421

because I was bored I went to the law library and looked up WA session laws going back to 1881, it has never been vagrancy to not have cash in your pocket in this state

however you WERE a vagrant if you

>Told Fortunes
>Solicited the business of an attorney at the courthouse
>were a healthy man who solicited alms
>were "a common drunkard at a house of Bawdiness"
played games of chance at an open table in public....

I think the laws were more on a city level. I heard before that it was a law in Puyallup to be a vagrant if you had less than $5. It was really only used to give the homeless a place to stay for the night and a meal.