Thread: New to the gun scene and have a quick question.

New to the gun scene and have a quick question.

I recently when to the range with my dad and shot a couple of ARs, pistols, rifles.. etc. I'll admit, I am hooked. Here's my question. Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.

Thanks all for the help!
    -Kei

New to guns but have a couple questions

Sorry if im in the completely wrong section, not really sure where to post this.

I recently when to the range with my dad and shot a couple of ARs, pistols, rifles.. etc. I'll admit, I am hooked. Here's my question. Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.

Thanks all for the help!
    -Kei

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    You should be fine to purchase a long gun and ammunition for it at 18 assuming you are not disqualified for, say, being a felon or something. It does not have to be from a gun show. I would like to suggest that you should continue to go to the range with someone knowledgeable of firearm safety until you can remember all of the safety principles easily and have practiced them. You will not be required to attend a class but if you would like to, go for it! Also be sure and respect the rules of the range you shoot at. And have fun!

You can buy Long Guns (Rifles and shotguns) at 18.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    And handguns from private sellers.
    <cough>even if the private seller just bought it from a dealer 2 minutes ago<cough>

Quote Originally Posted by Keihardison View Post
    SNIP...Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.

Thanks all for the help!
    -Kei
    I'll give you the best advice I can give (besides "consult a lawyer"): read Title 10, Chapter 46 of the Texas Constitution and Statutes (link:*http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/)
    It's what I did (with Arizona Revised Statutes, of course) prior to buying my first firearm, and again prior to beginning to OC.

Sec. 46.06. *UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS.*
    (a) *A person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) *sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered intends to use it unlawfully or in the commission of an unlawful act;
    (2) *intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;
    (3) *intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who is intoxicated;
    If I understand it correctly: long gun purchases (even from FFLs) at 18
    By inference: handguns/ammunition through PRIVATE sales, also at 18
    But to purchase handguns and/or ammunition from FFL, I am not sure (most likely not until 21). Give the statutes a little read (it can be tedious, I know ), and see what crops up.

Hope this helps, and remember: I AM NOT A LAWYER. Not trying to scare you, but you are responsible for any and all consequences stemming from actions on your behalf.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 08-13-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Clarification, smileys

... Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.
    Welcome to shooting and to OCDO.

You can buy all longguns (rifles and shotguns) at 18 whether from gun shop, gun show, or private seller.

Licenses for purchase or possession of these long guns are not required in the relatively free states like Texas.

Your biggest problem is affording an ACR, if that's on your list.

You can get a good summary of Texas laws here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Common Texas issues outside the scope of your question:
    Open carry of handguns is not allowed in public.
    You must have a license if you wish to conceal a handgun on your person in public. This license is shall-issue from the state, but you may have to be 21, like in most states.
    You can purchase a handgun from a private party, but a licensed dealer is not allowed to transfer one to you.
    Handguns in vehicles have to be concealed under or inside something, even if just under a handkerchief.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Thank you all for the advice! It really did help a lot. Learned more from you guys in the 5 minutes of reading than I did in an hour of research.

Thanks again!
    Kei

At 18, you can buy a rifle or shotgun from any dealer, or from any private seller who lives in the same state as you. You can't buy a handgun from a dealer until you turn 21, but you can buy from a private seller in the same state.

There are no licenses or permission needed to purchase or own any gun in Texas. A license is only needed to carry a handgun.

The rules for gun stores and gun shows are exactly the same -- forget all that "loophole" nonsense you hear about. All the same laws and rules apply inside a gun show that apply outside of one.

Have fun!
    Last edited by KBCraig; 08-14-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: corrected mis-wording

Banned
    the AFT puts out a publication of gun laws for every state and feds .. suggest OP find, download, and read

Regular Member TheIrishNationalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    Finally , something the UK (UK being NI) is better than the US involving guns.

In Northern Ireland, you can get a Firearms Certificate at 12 and buy guns!

I thought I would never see the day....LOL
    Last edited by TheIrishNationalist; 08-13-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Sorry if im in the completely wrong section, not really sure where to post this.

--snipped--
    Moved it to the Texas sub-forum - different states, different laws.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    But there is already one here
    Not sure if there is a "merge threads" tool you can use.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    But there is already one here
    Not sure if there is a "merge threads" tool you can use.
    Yep, I missed that - thanks. Merged them.

It should be pointed out to the OP that posting the same thing in multiple threads is considered spamming - please read the Forum Rules.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-14-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.