• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the gun scene and have a quick question.

Keihardison

I recently when to the range with my dad and shot a couple of ARs, pistols, rifles.. etc. I'll admit, I am hooked. Here's my question. Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.

Thanks all for the help!
-Kei

Keihardison

New to guns but have a couple questions

Sorry if im in the completely wrong section, not really sure where to post this.

I recently when to the range with my dad and shot a couple of ARs, pistols, rifles.. etc. I'll admit, I am hooked. Here's my question. Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.

Thanks all for the help!
-Kei

stealthyeliminator

You should be fine to purchase a long gun and ammunition for it at 18 assuming you are not disqualified for, say, being a felon or something. It does not have to be from a gun show. I would like to suggest that you should continue to go to the range with someone knowledgeable of firearm safety until you can remember all of the safety principles easily and have practiced them. You will not be required to attend a class but if you would like to, go for it! Also be sure and respect the rules of the range you shoot at. And have fun!

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.

Thanks all for the help!
-Kei

I'll give you the best advice I can give (besides "consult a lawyer"): read Title 10, Chapter 46 of the Texas Constitution and Statutes (link:*http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/)
It's what I did (with Arizona Revised Statutes, of course) prior to buying my first firearm, and again prior to beginning to OC.

Sec. 46.06. *UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS.*
(a) *A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) *sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered intends to use it unlawfully or in the commission of an unlawful act;
(2) *intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;
(3) *intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who is intoxicated;

If I understand it correctly: long gun purchases (even from FFLs) at 18
By inference: handguns/ammunition through PRIVATE sales, also at 18
But to purchase handguns and/or ammunition from FFL, I am not sure (most likely not until 21). :eek: Give the statutes a little read (it can be tedious, I know :D), and see what crops up.

Hope this helps, and remember: I AM NOT A LAWYER. Not trying to scare you, but you are responsible for any and all consequences stemming from actions on your behalf.:)

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... Im 18 years old and live in North Texas. Can I go to a gun store and buy lets say an AR15 or ACR 6.8(what a shot with my dad) or do I have to be 21? Can I buy from a gun show at 18? Do I need a license or need to take any classes? I just want to recreational shoot at the local range.

Welcome to shooting and to OCDO.

You can buy all longguns (rifles and shotguns) at 18 whether from gun shop, gun show, or private seller.

Licenses for purchase or possession of these long guns are not required in the relatively free states like Texas.

Your biggest problem is affording an ACR, if that's on your list.

You can get a good summary of Texas laws here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Common Texas issues outside the scope of your question:
Open carry of handguns is not allowed in public.
You must have a license if you wish to conceal a handgun on your person in public. This license is shall-issue from the state, but you may have to be 21, like in most states.
You can purchase a handgun from a private party, but a licensed dealer is not allowed to transfer one to you.
Handguns in vehicles have to be concealed under or inside something, even if just under a handkerchief.

Keihardison

Thank you all for the advice! It really did help a lot. Learned more from you guys in the 5 minutes of reading than I did in an hour of research.

Thanks again!
Kei

KBCraig

At 18, you can buy a rifle or shotgun from any dealer, or from any private seller who lives in the same state as you. You can't buy a handgun from a dealer until you turn 21, but you can buy from a private seller in the same state.

There are no licenses or permission needed to purchase or own any gun in Texas. A license is only needed to carry a handgun.

The rules for gun stores and gun shows are exactly the same -- forget all that "loophole" nonsense you hear about. All the same laws and rules apply inside a gun show that apply outside of one.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited: