• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

wrong on so many levels

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
i ran across this. it is just so wrong on so many levels i don't know where to start.

was the woman crazy, and used her car as a deadly weapon?

did she stop a dangerous person posing with a gun?

what would have done if someone pointed a shotgun at you?

did he point the air soft at her? curious minds want to know

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video...n-over-by-woman-who-feared-gun/#comment-39157

According to the testimony and the investigation, I don't see where she did anything wrong, and she most likely prevented a 7-11 from being robbed.

If someone had pointed a shotgun at me and the most expedient thing was to hit him with my car, I would have done the same thing ... and then I would have held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.

She didn't know it was an Airsoft -- he had removed the orange tip and it looked exactly like a sawed-off shotgun. Should she have waited until she could have determined it was only a replica?

What is it about her testimony and the resulting investigation that confirmed the correctness of her actions that you find "wrong on so many levels?"

What would YOU have done in her situation?

mikeyb

From the article:

He turned and pointed this at her, and she thought it was a real weapon and that she was about to be shot or that the kids were in danger, so she gunned her car and struck him.

Airsoft guns are incredibly life-like and it's not uncommon for wanna-be thugs to use them for criminal purposes. Even if he was shot and killed, it'd still be a justifiable action. And as long as we're going with hypothesis, if the idiot actually fired an airsoft gun at the woman, then she gunned the car (or a DGU), then you could take issue. But she didn't, so you can't.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
i ran across this. it is just so wrong on so many levels i don't know where to start.

No, and yes, she most certainly did.

Your use of the word "posing" changes the dynamics of both the scenario and of the assessment anyone would use in responding to your question. I will hope that by "posing" you meant displaying, pointing, brandishing, making a threatening gesture, or the like. If thast is the case, the answer to the obvious is an unquestionable "Yes." And I'll bet she intended to.

Try to get out of the line of fire, and if they continued to point that thing in my general direction I would make every effort to make them stop threatening my life. While formal negotiations, facilitated by the use of a mediator, might be an option, I do not think that would be on my right there/right then short list of options to select from. Unless you consider the use of Mssrs. Smith's and Wesson's finer products to be a facilitator or mediator of some sort.

From line #12 of the article you cite: "“He turned and pointed this at her ...." Captain Obvious says the obvious answer is "Oh, yes he did."

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video...n-over-by-woman-who-feared-gun/#comment-39157[/QUOTE]

The "wrong" I see was all committed by the guy with the airsoft.

Searching Pa laws http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/htm/18/18.htm I do not see anything specifically addressing facsimilie weapons (except facsimilie weapons of mass destruction). That being the case it seems both the woman and the law must proceed based on what a reasonable and prudent person would perceive the situation to be - and with the orange/red tip removed it all comes down to "if it looks like a shotgun you get to treat it as if it is in fact a shotgun" - because, as everyone else has mentioned, she had no duty to inspect it to determine it's true properties, nor did she have a duty to retreat from a place where she had a lawful right to be.

The comments about "protecting/defending the kids" is a false trail if not an actual red herring. That argument went out the window when airsoft guy pointed the thing in his hands that looked like a shotgun at the driver of the car. Defense of possibly innocent others changes to defense of self against an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury.

437.5 grains of lead were reasonably presumed to exist and were pointed at her. If the shell were fired she could expect the lead (slug or shot) to travel towards her at 750 mph. (1100 feet per second) http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/FeetperSecond/ToMilesperHour.htm

I response she propelled 17,500,000 grains of automobile (2,500 lbs) http://www.asknumbers.com/PoundsToGrains.aspx at roughly 51.333333333333336 feet per second (35 mph) http://www.calculateme.com/Speed/MilesperHour/ToFeetperSecond.htm

That does not seem to be a significant disparity of force, which by the way has no place in considering the scenario and her response to having what she reasonably thought was a shotgun pointed at her.

Some gun guru, when asked what they would do if someone pointed a gun at them, is reported to have said something along the lines of "I would shoot them as dead as I could make tem, as quickly as I could." We know that's not appropriate because all we are supposed to be trying to do is stop the threat. While being shot dead will most likely stop the tyhreat, there may be other ways of achieving that goal. Deciding on what alternatives might be viable might need to be done quickly enough to beat 750 mph!

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Folks need to listen to the video again. At the time she mowed him down:

The guy was not wearing a mask or hosiery

The lady called 911 because he was just carrying...which is not illegal I presume

The lady CLAIMS that he pointed a gun at her.

The lady DID hit him with her car.

The lady did follow him.

The lady did talk to him, presumably because she thought he was a threat to 2 bikers, indicating that she knew the gun was not real (or that's what the argument will be).

I could see no criminal charges being filed but she is going to be a world of hurt in civil court. Her insurance company will not defend her as it was a willing act.

This kid will get some $$$ out of this woman (I figure 5-20K) as it would go to trial...and her lawyer will tell her the cost of doing so (40K-60K) and w/o insurance that would come out of her own pocket.

See, you can be 100% right and still be wrong.

Horrible? Maybe .. welcome to America !

papa bear

According to the testimony and the investigation, I don't see where she did anything wrong, and she most likely prevented a 7-11 from being robbed.

If someone had pointed a shotgun at me and the most expedient thing was to hit him with my car, I would have done the same thing ... and then I would have held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.

She didn't know it was an Airsoft -- he had removed the orange tip and it looked exactly like a sawed-off shotgun. Should she have waited until she could have determined it was only a replica?

What is it about her testimony and the resulting investigation that confirmed the correctness of her actions that you find "wrong on so many levels?"

What would YOU have done in her situation?

i would agree if he had pointed it at her then yes she would probably be justified.

how ever how do we know that he pointed the gun at her, good chance of it, but do we only have her word for it?
she did follow him, and she admitted that she was "deathly afraid of it". couldn't have been too afraid, she followed him.
she also challenged him. when ever you are the instigate of an encounter then you lose some of your right to self defense.
we only have the word of the police that he was on his way to rob a store. how do they know this, unless he told them. they said in the video that he was on his way to a 7-11, but was he going to rob them?
could this just have been a Hopolophobe, that used her car as a deadly weapon?

SKID, i used the word "posing", because of the way he was dressed. it could be possible that, in his mind he was being a BA.. probably thought too, that since he knew the gun was fake, that no one would "harm" him. stupid yes. i think NC law on GTTTOTP would apply more to this

davidmcbeth

Banned
i would agree if he had pointed it at her then yes she would probably be justified.

how ever how do we know that he pointed the gun at her, good chance of it, but do we only have her word for it?
she did follow him, and she admitted that she was "deathly afraid of it". couldn't have been too afraid, she followed him.
she also challenged him. when ever you are the instigate of an encounter then you lose some of your right to self defense.
we only have the word of the police that he was on his way to rob a store. how do they know this, unless he told them. they said in the video that he was on his way to a 7-11, but was he going to rob them?
could this just have been a Hopolophobe, that used her car as a deadly weapon?

SKID, i used the word "posing", because of the way he was dressed. it could be possible that, in his mind he was being a BA.. probably thought too, that since he knew the gun was fake, that no one would "harm" him. stupid yes. i think NC law on GTTTOTP would apply more to this

Yea, who is going to believe a woman who just ran over a guy with her car?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Folks need to listen to the video again. At the time she mowed him down:

The guy was not wearing a mask or hosiery

The lady called 911 because he was just carrying...which is not illegal I presume

The lady CLAIMS that he pointed a gun at her.

The lady DID hit him with her car.

The lady did follow him.

The lady did talk to him, presumably because she thought he was a threat to 2 bikers, indicating that she knew the gun was not real (or that's what the argument will be).

I could see no criminal charges being filed but she is going to be a world of hurt in civil court. Her insurance company will not defend her as it was a willing act.

This kid will get some $$$ out of this woman (I figure 5-20K) as it would go to trial...and her lawyer will tell her the cost of doing so (40K-60K) and w/o insurance that would come out of her own pocket.

See, you can be 100% right and still be wrong.

Horrible? Maybe .. welcome to America !

This happened in Pennsylvania and I don't know their law well enough (and don't have the inclination to do the research), but in some states (e.g., Florida) one is immune from civil prosecution when acting in self-defense. Her self defense response to having a shotgun aimed at her was to hit him with her car, assumedly the only "weapon" she had available to her. With no charges being placed against her, I'm thinking that any civil suit brought against her will be dismissed.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This happened in Pennsylvania and I don't know their law well enough (and don't have the inclination to do the research), but in some states (e.g., Florida) one is immune from civil prosecution when acting in self-defense. Her self defense response to having a shotgun aimed at her was to hit him with her car, assumedly the only "weapon" she had available to her. With no charges being placed against her, I'm thinking that any civil suit brought against her will be dismissed.

Criminal charges or lack of criminal charges are irrelevant in civil court for the most part.

And acting in self-defense is an affirmative defense or special defense ~ needs to be proved, not just plead.

PALO

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video...n-over-by-woman-who-feared-gun/#comment-39157

How is this wrong? Assuming the woman's story is accurate, she absolutely had the right to use deadly force, to wit her vehicle, in this case.

Fwiw, airsofts look incredibly realistic and many do not come with an orange tip. FWiw, there have been cases, usually gangbangers, where they paint the tip of REAL guns orange, to give them extra safety from armed responders (cops or ordinary joes) who see the orange tip and hesitate.

A ways back we had a concerned RP call in a handgun in a ditch on the side of the road. When we got there, turned out to be an airsoft. But it was so realistic, short of picking it up, it was almost impossible to tell that it was fake

PALO

Criminal charges or lack of criminal charges are irrelevant in civil court for the most part.

And acting in self-defense is an affirmative defense or special defense ~ needs to be proved, not just plead.

Not in many states. In many states the defendant doesn't need to prove jack. The burden is on the state. In my state, the burden is to DISPROVE self defense. SD does not need to be proved. What needs to be proved is that it WAS NOT self defense and that burden rests with the state.

Simply wrong on the law (in many states)

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not in many states. In many states the defendant doesn't need to prove jack. The burden is on the state. In my state, the burden is to DISPROVE self defense. SD does not need to be proved. What needs to be proved is that it WAS NOT self defense and that burden rests with the state.

Simply wrong on the law (in many states)

This is a civil case though ...

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
We changed their identity to protect the innocent.

George Zimmerman was played by a woman driving a car.

Trayvon Martin was played by a man dressed in black.

JamesCanby

Activist Member

Did you not follow the Zimmerman trial? The burden of proof was on the prosecution to prove that Zimmerman did NOT act in self defense. The defense team did NOT have to prove that he DID act in self defense. Zimmerman did not plead "self defense," he plead Not Guilty, and the prosecution could not convince the jury otherwise. Florida law specifically states, IIRC, that if one has been shown to have defended oneself against a crime, that person cannot be sued civilly.

And, lest I be accused of "generalizing from a specific," I do realize that the legal situation can and does vary from state to state. My comment is posted simply to show that generalizations such as the one in bold above are overly broad and do not apply in every situation or state.

OC for ME

RSMo 563.016 and 563.074. Essentially, in Missouri, you may be sued in civil court even if your SD claim is proven to be justified and it shall be an absolute defense to criminal prosecution or civil liability. So, if there is no charges filed because the prosecutor finds that you were justified, or he could not possibly prove that you were not justified only make your civil case more difficult for the plaintiff. You state may be different. However, your state law must provide for that which Missouri's legislature provided for Missouri citizens.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
RSMo 563.016 and 563.074. Essentially, in Missouri, you may be sued in civil court even if your SD claim is proven to be justified and it shall be an absolute defense to criminal prosecution or civil liability. So, if there is no charges filed because the prosecutor finds that you were justified, or he could not possibly prove that you were not justified only make your civil case more difficult for the plaintiff. You state may be different. However, your state law must provide for that which Missouri's legislature provided for Missouri citizens.

Yes, and that was my point. We have 50 different sets of laws (for Obama, 57 plus 2 that he hadn't visited yet), and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Think of the individual states as "law laboratories" where different legal concepts are promulgated and tried, and since people have the right to choose where they live they can reside in whichever state that has the legal structure they like the best.

Of course, that makes *our* situation more difficult since we have to map out all of the different firearms-specific laws when traveling through multiple states, and we have to be cognizant of the possible legal ramifications of our use of firearms.