• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suit for 18 yrld Purchases

papa bear

hey wasn't sure where to put this.

but it looks like the NRA is suing for 18 yr olds to be able to purchase a hand gun from a dealer.
i have never understood why they couldn't. like one of the commentator said. if they are old enough to protect our country then they should be old enough to buy a gun.

I am wondering if this will do any good

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/08/nra...gulations-on-handgun-purchases/#axzz2brANFBdA

davidmcbeth

Banned
This action may be premature ... I could understand a private citizen filing such a case but the NRA? Looks like they want a SCOTUS ruling that hurts gun ownership.

Thundar

$$$$$ NRA motive is always about money $$$$$

This action may be premature ... I could understand a private citizen filing such a case but the NRA? Looks like they want a SCOTUS ruling that hurts gun ownership.

David,

Have you learned nothing in your time at OCDO?

The NRA is always out to find new revenue generation sources.

The NRA makes alot of money from the C2I2 (Concealed Carry Instruction Industry).

For the NRA this suit is about expanding the C2I2 pool to to 18-20 year olds.

Thundar

davidmcbeth

Banned
David,

Have you learned nothing in your time at OCDO?

The NRA is always out to find new revenue generation sources.

The NRA makes alot of money from the C2I2 (Concealed Carry Instruction Industry).

For the NRA this suit is about expanding the C2I2 pool to to 18-20 year olds.

Thundar

Sorry, you are correct. I shall avert my eyes from the almighty NRA and beg forgiveness...

papa bear

aside from the CHP generator. i don't see how allowing 18 year olds to purchase a handgun is a bad thing

wizzi01

Not sure about other states , but in Michigan 18 year olds can already purchase pistols from private sellers. They just cannot purchase from dealers which is kind of silly.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Not sure about other states , but in Michigan 18 year olds can already purchase pistols from private sellers. They just cannot purchase from dealers which is kind of silly.

This is the situation in most states.

Unless a state law says otherwise, the "law" actually is not against the gun buyers. It is a restriction on the licensee regarding to whom he may transfer a handgun. The FFL is a federal license.

Rusty Young Man

This is the situation in most states.

Unless a state law says otherwise, the "law" actually is not against the gun buyers. It is a restriction on the licensee regarding to whom he may transfer a handgun. The FFL is a federal license.

What MAC702 said. It's how I bought my pistol [Looks around for incoming death drones:eek:; nope:)]. Had to go through private sale in order to purchase without breaking Arizona law.
Besides, if you look at the law in terms of "what am I allowed to do (what is 'legal' for me to do)", then you see the law as a list of your permissions:rolleyes:.
I'll go ahead and get to the center of my argument: if we talk about inalienable rights, then the Law is nothing more than restrictions placed upon our God-given (or Natural, depending on how you view it) rights. In contrast, the Bill of Rights is a restraining order on the federal government, filed on behalf of the People, and the Constitution a list of permissions for said government.
Back on topic: even if the NRA is backing this case only for the money, shouldn't law-abiding, 18 year-old U.S. citizens be able to purchase a handgun like all other full-fledged U.S. citizens? If one is considered an adult at that age, it seems a bit hypocritical to prohibit them from exercising this right to keep and bear arms. :confused: It seems the NRA-backed case will only be pointing out the obvious.

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

I agree, but then I grew up in a age where many business sold guns and it was mostly hassle free. IMO they should throw out both NFA, and GCA.

Me too and I agree about the NFA and GCA. Especially the GCA.

I used to buy my shotgun shells at the local Hardware Store.
:cool:

papa bear

there are a few states, OH is one where 18-20 can't buy a handgun, but there are quite a few where they can. that is the basest for the suit. that people are already buying at 18