Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Court reach retarded ruling ... on juries - + defendant must be pissed at lawyer now

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Court reach retarded ruling ... on juries - + defendant must be pissed at lawyer now

    http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/08...rve-on-juries/


    The New Mexico Supreme Court is cautioning trial courts and lawyers that citizens who donít speak English have the right to serve on juries...


    The Supreme Court says it agrees with that argument but also says Samoraís defense needed to object during the trial but didnít.


    Guy wins the argument but still loses 'cause lawyer did not object at trial.

    Wondering why the court even considered the argument then? 99.9999% of time, courts say its a moot subject because it was not raised at trial. Some lower court went off the reservation here.


    And what a retarded ruling .... soon we'll have monkeys deciding our fate.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,162
    Jose Canuci nullification of juries isn't so far removed from jury nullification of Jose's indictment.

    Senor, Yo din't entiende la pregunta so Yo voted el no culpable
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,737
    I just finished jury duty in Ohio.

    And here is what our county Jury Commission says:

    Who may be called to serve as a juror?

    You may be called to serve if you are at least 18 years old, a United States citizen and a resident of Hamilton County. In addition, you must have a reasonable knowledge of English and be physically and mentally capable of serving.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Does this mean that we must provide non-English speaking jurors with translators? Will one person doing simultaneous translation be sufficient for all non-English spraking jurors, or does each one get his/her own?

    I spite of everything else, this will assure that the "deliberate" in deliberate deliberate consideration will be adhered to.

    Just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks - would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin? Voir Dire is going to have to start including a civics test -- which may not be a bad idea even for English-speaking jurors.

    I understand and think I agree with the premise behind the judge's pronouncement. It's just that I see a whole lot more than mere administrative issues popping up in an attempt to carry this out.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin?
    I don't think you understand that language is only a way to communicate, not a direct indication of an origin.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Does this mean that we must provide non-English speaking jurors with translators? Will one person doing simultaneous translation be sufficient for all non-English spraking jurors, or does each one get his/her own?

    I spite of everything else, this will assure that the "deliberate" in deliberate deliberate consideration will be adhered to.

    Just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks - would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin? Voir Dire is going to have to start including a civics test -- which may not be a bad idea even for English-speaking jurors.

    I understand and think I agree with the premise behind the judge's pronouncement. It's just that I see a whole lot more than mere administrative issues popping up in an attempt to carry this out.

    stay safe.
    Of all the languages, English is the hardest with about 6 million words. French has only about 60,000. Zero chance that an interpreter would be able to interpret every spoken thought from English to French w/o losing something in the translation. And if you were on trial for murder, you may not wish this occurrence.

  7. #7
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    It's only a matter of time before some wacko claims to only be fluent in Klingon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    It's only a matter of time before some wacko claims to only be fluent in Klingon.
    aeek'h'i ulleinvs'hhwiemn ahefvi !

  9. #9
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Of all the languages, English is the hardest with about 6 million words. France has only about 60,000. Zero chance that an interpreter would be able to interpret every spoken thought from English to French w/o losing something in the translation. And if you were on trial for murder, you may not wish this occurrence.
    And some might say of the French, that half of those are about wine and the other half about 'running away'. (I kid, I kid).

  10. #10
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,274
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    <snip> Just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks - would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin? <snip>
    Liberals do not share in the cultural and social values that define America.....so, what is your point?

  11. #11
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    I just finished jury duty in Ohio.

    And here is what our county Jury Commission says:
    I recently served on a jury here in Virginia and during jury selection the same statement was made, i.e., Jury members must have a reasonable understanding of English. In fact, one person in the jury pool was dismissed because she could not understand or speak English at a reasonable level.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    I don't think you understand that language is only a way to communicate, not a direct indication of an origin.
    If it is only a way to communicate, and the majority of the population, as well as the government, uses English to do their communicating, does it not behoove (Gads, but I love that word!) someone to learn to speak English, in spite of the fact that it is one of the most complicated languages with perhaps the largest vocabulary - all due to the fact that its speakers raped and kidnapped every other language in order to inject words - and thus ideas - into the dominant language? If English had not done so, the first thing you wopuld notice would be that it had a regular grammer, as opposed to, for example, less than 10% of the verbs having regular declension.

    But if English did not rape and kidnap other languages we would be stuck like the Japanese, the Germans, the French, the Dutch, the various Arabic and African, and Polynesian languages needing to create multipart words to call aluminum by name or explain the concept of a bunt in baseball. I'm not suggesting English is the best language, but it is currently the dominant one spoken in the USA. If you want to not learn to speak/converse in English be prepared to accept the consewuences, as opposed to forcing me to print election ballots in 17 languages or teach 51% of elementary shool classes in whatever the primary language spoken at home might be.

    Back in the day immigrants to the USA were pretty much forced to learn English. Schools, courts, and the desire/need to communicate with groups who spoke something other than your primary language all influenced the selection of English (already the dominant language) as the common language. It certainly did not stop immigrants from becoming successful in crime, or music, or dance, or science, or building, or politics. It's only recently that those who left their homes to come to the USA have decided that they were not going to change their language or culture from what it was before coming to the USA. It does raise the question of what the reasons were for their coming here.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ńrida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    SNIP...Back in the day immigrants to the USA were pretty much forced to learn English. Schools, courts, and the desire/need to communicate with groups who spoke something other than your primary language all influenced the selection of English (already the dominant language) as the common language. It certainly did not stop immigrants from becoming successful in crime, or music, or dance, or science, or building, or politics. It's only recently that those who left their homes to come to the USA have decided that they were not going to change their language or culture from what it was before coming to the USA. It does raise the question of what the reasons were for their coming here.
    See, you get it. Pride in your heritage is one thing (I'm Latino), but when you start forming "little" towns (Little China, Little Italy, Little Mexico, etc.) to transplant your entire culture, it does keep you from learning the language, culture and social conventions. Next thing you know, these "little" towns begin practicing their culture's common law, even forcing it on U.S. citizens (oops, I meant "residents". I didn't mean to offend anyone by using an offensive word). If you don't believe me, ask any Brits (I say this term with affection) about Sharia being practiced in areas of high Moslem concentration (not a jab at all Moslems, the ones I know are very tolerant of others' beliefs, and I'd wager a good portion of them are the same).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •