• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court reach retarded ruling ... on juries - + defendant must be pissed at lawyer now

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/0...nglish-speaking-citizens-can-serve-on-juries/

The New Mexico Supreme Court is cautioning trial courts and lawyers that citizens who don’t speak English have the right to serve on juries...

The Supreme Court says it agrees with that argument but also says Samora’s defense needed to object during the trial but didn’t.

Guy wins the argument but still loses 'cause lawyer did not object at trial.

Wondering why the court even considered the argument then? 99.9999% of time, courts say its a moot subject because it was not raised at trial. Some lower court went off the reservation here.

And what a retarded ruling .... soon we'll have monkeys deciding our fate.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I just finished jury duty in Ohio.

And here is what our county Jury Commission says:

Who may be called to serve as a juror?

You may be called to serve if you are at least 18 years old, a United States citizen and a resident of Hamilton County. In addition, you must have a reasonable knowledge of English and be physically and mentally capable of serving.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Does this mean that we must provide non-English speaking jurors with translators? Will one person doing simultaneous translation be sufficient for all non-English spraking jurors, or does each one get his/her own?

I spite of everything else, this will assure that the "deliberate" in deliberate deliberate consideration will be adhered to.

Just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks - would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin? Voir Dire is going to have to start including a civics test -- which may not be a bad idea even for English-speaking jurors.

I understand and think I agree with the premise behind the judge's pronouncement. It's just that I see a whole lot more than mere administrative issues popping up in an attempt to carry this out.

stay safe.

09jisaac

would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin?

I don't think you understand that language is only a way to communicate, not a direct indication of an origin.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Does this mean that we must provide non-English speaking jurors with translators? Will one person doing simultaneous translation be sufficient for all non-English spraking jurors, or does each one get his/her own?

I spite of everything else, this will assure that the "deliberate" in deliberate deliberate consideration will be adhered to.

Just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks - would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin? Voir Dire is going to have to start including a civics test -- which may not be a bad idea even for English-speaking jurors.

I understand and think I agree with the premise behind the judge's pronouncement. It's just that I see a whole lot more than mere administrative issues popping up in an attempt to carry this out.

stay safe.

Of all the languages, English is the hardest with about 6 million words. French has only about 60,000. Zero chance that an interpreter would be able to interpret every spoken thought from English to French w/o losing something in the translation. And if you were on trial for murder, you may not wish this occurrence.

Maverick9

Of all the languages, English is the hardest with about 6 million words. France has only about 60,000. Zero chance that an interpreter would be able to interpret every spoken thought from English to French w/o losing something in the translation. And if you were on trial for murder, you may not wish this occurrence.

And some might say of the French, that half of those are about wine and the other half about 'running away'. (I kid, I kid).

OC for ME

<snip> Just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks - would not the fact that a person does not speak English be reason to believe that they do not share in the cultural and social values that define America as opposed to those of their country of origin? <snip>
Liberals do not share in the cultural and social values that define America.....so, what is your point?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I just finished jury duty in Ohio.

And here is what our county Jury Commission says:

I recently served on a jury here in Virginia and during jury selection the same statement was made, i.e., Jury members must have a reasonable understanding of English. In fact, one person in the jury pool was dismissed because she could not understand or speak English at a reasonable level.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't think you understand that language is only a way to communicate, not a direct indication of an origin.

If it is only a way to communicate, and the majority of the population, as well as the government, uses English to do their communicating, does it not behoove (Gads, but I love that word!) someone to learn to speak English, in spite of the fact that it is one of the most complicated languages with perhaps the largest vocabulary - all due to the fact that its speakers raped and kidnapped every other language in order to inject words - and thus ideas - into the dominant language? If English had not done so, the first thing you wopuld notice would be that it had a regular grammer, as opposed to, for example, less than 10% of the verbs having regular declension.

But if English did not rape and kidnap other languages we would be stuck like the Japanese, the Germans, the French, the Dutch, the various Arabic and African, and Polynesian languages needing to create multipart words to call aluminum by name or explain the concept of a bunt in baseball. I'm not suggesting English is the best language, but it is currently the dominant one spoken in the USA. If you want to not learn to speak/converse in English be prepared to accept the consewuences, as opposed to forcing me to print election ballots in 17 languages or teach 51% of elementary shool classes in whatever the primary language spoken at home might be.

Back in the day immigrants to the USA were pretty much forced to learn English. Schools, courts, and the desire/need to communicate with groups who spoke something other than your primary language all influenced the selection of English (already the dominant language) as the common language. It certainly did not stop immigrants from becoming successful in crime, or music, or dance, or science, or building, or politics. It's only recently that those who left their homes to come to the USA have decided that they were not going to change their language or culture from what it was before coming to the USA. It does raise the question of what the reasons were for their coming here.

stay safe.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...Back in the day immigrants to the USA were pretty much forced to learn English. Schools, courts, and the desire/need to communicate with groups who spoke something other than your primary language all influenced the selection of English (already the dominant language) as the common language. It certainly did not stop immigrants from becoming successful in crime, or music, or dance, or science, or building, or politics. It's only recently that those who left their homes to come to the USA have decided that they were not going to change their language or culture from what it was before coming to the USA. It does raise the question of what the reasons were for their coming here.

See, you get it. Pride in your heritage is one thing (I'm Latino), but when you start forming "little" towns (Little China, Little Italy, Little Mexico, etc.) to transplant your entire culture, it does keep you from learning the language, culture and social conventions:). Next thing you know, these "little" towns begin practicing their culture's common law, even forcing it on U.S. citizens (oops, I meant "residents". I didn't mean to offend anyone by using an offensive word:lol:). If you don't believe me, ask any Brits (I say this term with affection) about Sharia being practiced in areas of high Moslem concentration (not a jab at all Moslems, the ones I know are very tolerant of others' beliefs, and I'd wager a good portion of them are the same).