Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Apple patents tech to let cops switch off iPhone video, camera and wi-fi

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Apple patents tech to let cops switch off iPhone video, camera and wi-fi

    http://news.techeye.net/security/app...mera-and-wi-fi

    Does apple have any products that utilize this ability to shut down your recording devices?

    Should check this out when purchasing I guess...

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,147

    Russia Today: No shooting at protest? Police may block mobile devices via Apple

    "Apple has patented a piece of technology which would allow government and police to block transmission of information, including video and photographs, from any public gathering or venue they deem “sensitive”, and “protected from externalities.” *In other words, these powers will have control over what can and cannot be documented on wireless devices during any public event. And while the company says the affected sites are to be mostly cinemas, theaters, concert grounds and similar locations, Apple Inc. also says “covert police or government operations may require complete ‘blackout’ conditions.”

    http://rt.com/news/apple-patent-transmission-block-408/

    Good reason, another good reason, to shun Apple.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "Apple has patented a piece of technology which would allow government and police to block transmission of information, including video and photographs, from any public gathering or venue they deem “sensitive”, and “protected from externalities.” *In other words, these powers will have control over what can and cannot be documented on wireless devices during any public event. And while the company says the affected sites are to be mostly cinemas, theaters, concert grounds and similar locations, Apple Inc. also says “covert police or government operations may require complete ‘blackout’ conditions.”

    http://rt.com/news/apple-patent-transmission-block-408/

    Good reason, another good reason, to shun Apple.
    It's not just Apple. When we go to the Kennedy Center here in DC, they don't bother to make the usual announcement to turn off all cell phones before the performance ... because they have a cell-signal-killer that kills all of the phones when you enter the Concert Hall. It affects all phones and service providers, not just iPhones.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    It's not just Apple. When we go to the Kennedy Center here in DC, they don't bother to make the usual announcement to turn off all cell phones before the performance ... because they have a cell-signal-killer that kills all of the phones when you enter the Concert Hall. It affects all phones and service providers, not just iPhones.
    Ask them to provide you with a copy of the FCC authorization for this.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Unless you are an Apple Executive and have a counter-counter device.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    It's not just Apple. When we go to the Kennedy Center here in DC, they don't bother to make the usual announcement to turn off all cell phones before the performance ... because they have a cell-signal-killer that kills all of the phones when you enter the Concert Hall. It affects all phones and service providers, not just iPhones.
    that so you don't record?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    that so you don't record?
    Wonder what they do if someone has a cardiac event...send smoke signals to the emergency department for an ambulance?

  8. #8
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Ask them to provide you with a copy of the FCC authorization for this.
    No joke. Please, seriously ask them this.

    Apple is not the only one developing software like this, I assure you. I personally hate Apple as a company, but others are not necessarily comprised of a bunch of saints, either.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 08-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,508
    Meanwhile, police can just switch on your Android phone's microphone and listen in, whether you're on the phone or not.

    I recall when this first came out some time ago, that Apple was throwing a sop to movie and music companies who want to be able to stop recording of movies and concerts -- they're still stuck in the mindset of recording music off the radio on cassette tapes.

    Apple patents a lot of stuff that never sees the light of day.
    Last edited by KBCraig; 08-13-2013 at 08:22 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Meanwhile, police can just switch on your Android phone's microphone and listen in, whether you're on the phone or not.

    I recall when this first came out some time ago, that Apple was throwing a sop to movie and music companies who want to be able to stop recording of movies and concerts -- they're still stuck in the mindset of recording music off the radio on cassette tapes.

    Apple patents a lot of stuff that never sees the light of day.
    Do you have a link on the Android bit? I'm surprised to read this having not known of any such ability.

  11. #11
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Do you have a link on the Android bit? I'm surprised to read this having not known of any such ability.
    It was in the news recently, but they can't just control any Android device, they have to get a piece of software loaded on it - in other words, it's malware of some kind not the ability to directly own or control any device.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  12. #12
    Regular Member JustaShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Unless you are an Apple Executive and have a counter-counter device.
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    No joke. Please, seriously ask them this.

    Apple is not the only one developing software like this, I assure you. I personally hate Apple as a company, but others are not necessarily comprised of a bunch of saints, either.
    Indeed, because according to the FCC, it is illegal: http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jamm...nt-against-law
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

    Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Wonder what they do if someone has a cardiac event...send smoke signals to the emergency department for an ambulance?
    I don't have a cellphone .... I carry defibrillators !

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,508
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Do you have a link on the Android bit? I'm surprised to read this having not known of any such ability.
    A couple of recent articles about Android security.

    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/phones...114542939.html

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20450...port-says.html

    Also, I read last year how iPhone security frustrates police -- if you have your phone locked, they aren't getting in, period.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    240

    Re: Apple patents tech to let cops switch off iPhone video, camera and wi-fi

    Want complete control of your phone? This Fall.

    http://jolla.com

    Soylent Green is made out of people.
    Last edited by kurt555gs; 08-14-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •