• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being questioned by LEO and being "required to provide ID"

carolina guy

I mean stopped while OC during my normal day be it pumping gas, walking thru WalMart picking up a few things....just out and about on foot doing the normal errands of my day. My concern is the whole "Hey, I need to see your ID and run the numbers on your gun to see if it is legal" kind of stopped.

I suppose my first question would likely (but perhaps not optimally) be "Why do you need to see my id?" And if they wanted to run the serial on my gun, I would suggest they get a warrant or make an appointment with my attorney.

I have also taken lately to not letting anyone hold or take any of my id other than a credit card when paying. I do not trust anyone to take it out of my sight...and this goes for police. As far as I have been able to find out, and thinking back to my academy days in NC, I believe you are only required to DISPLAY your ID, not PRESENT it (except when renewing at the DMV).

That said, "most" police in NC don't seem to be too concerned with someone OCing...just be careful that you are doing it where it is allowed (see the state "sticky" for the legal locations).

Last edited:

jeffy_ssd

I decided to be a bit proactive today and spoke with both the Deputy Sheriff and city Chief of Police. The Deputy Sheriff assured me that none of his men would do much more than acknowledge that I was carrying and the City PD Chief stated that he would personally instruct all of his supervisors to refresh his dept on open carry, that it is legal and that none of his officers would bother me unless I was waving it around or something. Both did state that if they were called that they were required to respond but it would be non confrontational and that every effort would be made to educate the public. Both were very friendly and courteous. I guess we shall see.

Jamesm760

I decided to be a bit proactive today and spoke with both the Deputy Sheriff and city Chief of Police. The Deputy Sheriff assured me that none of his men would do much more than acknowledge that I was carrying and the City PD Chief stated that he would personally instruct all of his supervisors to refresh his dept on open carry, that it is legal and that none of his officers would bother me unless I was waving it around or something. Both did state that if they were called that they were required to respond but it would be non confrontational and that every effort would be made to educate the public. Both were very friendly and courteous. I guess we shall see.

Excellent, educating the public is good! When sheeple call the PD, the PD probably doesn't ask any questions(or the right ones), they probably just take the call and dispatch. They need to begin asking

"are they waving it around?"
"did they threaten you?"
"did they point it at you?"
"is the fire arm holstered?"
"then why are you calling us?"
:lol:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Excellent, educating the public is good! When sheeple call the PD, the PD probably doesn't ask any questions(or the right ones), they probably just take the call and dispatch. They need to begin asking

"did they threaten you?"

No, no, no leading questions. People will supply the answer that they want you to think is true.

Better ask them to describe what the individual is doing...... while reminding them that the event is probably being recorded on a video cam.

I asked an errant security officer to step over in front of my parked truck, pointed out my dash cam to him. He had tried to tell me I couldn't OC on the public sidewalk and street near VCU/MCV Hospital building in downtown Richmond, Va. . As soon as he confirmed the video cam, he departed post haste :)

carolina guy

"did they threaten you?"

If only the call could go more like:

Caller: There is a man with a gun...

Dispatcher: Is the gun in a holster?

Caller: Yes.

Dispatcher: Is the man doing anything else?

Caller: He is eating a hamburger.

Dispatcher: Should we send an officer to see if he has high cholesterol?

Caller: umm...uhh...huh?

Dispatcher: Thank you for your call, please call back when something illegal is happening or when someone is in danger.

Caller: But! Wait! The gun is dangerous and scary!

Dispatcher: So is your ignorance. The gun is an inanimate object with no ability to do anything on it's own. Are you aware that all of our officers carry similarly "dangerous" guns? Good bye.

papa bear

i remember talking to the chief of police here in Mayberry one time, he said he was for the 2nd amendment , but was against citizens owning firearms. ???????
i know the sheriff said he would never take guns away from citizens . well of course unless he was ordered to
don't trust anything a LEO tells you. if they get a call what are they going to do hassle a person legally doing a legal thing.

jeffy_ssd

i remember talking to the chief of police here in Mayberry one time, he said he was for the 2nd amendment , but was against citizens owning firearms. ???????
i know the sheriff said he would never take guns away from citizens . well of course unless he was ordered to
don't trust anything a LEO tells you. if they get a call what are they going to do hassle a person legally doing a legal thing.

I suppose that it is too early to tell but both gave me a business card and said that if I had any issue with any of their officers to please have them contact him immediately.

Wulf.45

I'm not even required to carry an ID about my person when walking around, so there's no way that there can be a "must show ID to LEO" requirement.

How can I be required to ID myself to an officer when I'm not even legally required to even carry an ID? :lol:

carolina guy

I'm not even required to carry an ID about my person when walking around, so there's no way that there can be a "must show ID to LEO" requirement.

How can I be required to ID myself to an officer when I'm not even legally required to even carry an ID? :lol:

^^^^ This! Exactly. Unless you are carrying CC, driving a car, or some other regulated activity, you have no ID requirements with the police.