• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for fans of Nagant.

7om5hipp

Pretty sure this might get me a few odd looks, but I carry a 1895 Nagant revolver. Not sure why but I really like the way the ugly bugger looks, and like the Spanish inquisition no one expects the seventh round. I was just wondering if there happened to be other fans out there that carry it or at least own one…Or three.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I played with a few a bit. I guess if you really like a crummy revolver firearm, go ahead. Even played with a 22rf conversion.

If it was the only gun I could get my hands I would use it but then I would say the same thing about other guns also.

There are so much better designs and calibers out there except for a lark I don't see myself carrying one when there are so many better ones out there.

bunnspecial

A friend has one that I've shot some(but not a whole lot).

They're certainly interesting and quirky, but I wouldn't want to have to depend on shooting one double action. The round they fire is seriously underpowered, which of course is good for low recoil but bad for actually accomplishing anything should you need to use it.

In all honesty, I'd intended to buy one just for the oddity factory and not as a gun I intended to shoot anywhere other than at the range. After my friend(and regular shooting partner) bought one, I sort of dropped the thought of buying one.

I only own and carry revolvers, and am not even shy about carrying a .32 caliber revolver. If I'm going to carry a .32 caliber, however, it's going to be .32 H&R magnum, .32-20, or .327 Federal Magnum.

7om5hipp

I have heard a lot of people talk about the round being under-powered, and I agree that it could use a bit more punch. But I doubt anyone who is on the receiving end of one of the rounds would take a moment to tell me how the round needs to have more power behind it, lol. As for the accuracy of the pistol I have discovered that it's not that bad, I'll have to go out and shoot up a new target to post pictures, but I found myself having better luck using it then my brother in laws Hi-Point 9mm.

EtdBob

I've never fired one but I understand they will handle .32 magnum ammo just fine.
If that's the case I see nothing wrong with a handy seven shot .32 mag revolver.

The heavy double action pull wouldn't bother me 'cause I'd probably instinctively thumb-cock it anyway as I mostly shoot single actions.

They can kill - Here is one historical example where a feller nailed three Nazis with a Nagant.

"It was a bitterly cold and unusually quiet night early in 1942, and young Timofey Bogrov sat shivering in a slit trench on the frozen steppe outside Smolensk. The snow glistened like diamonds in the moonlight. For months the fighting in the area had dragged on, and now Bogrov was lost and unsure of his own position, much less those of his Red Army comrades or the Nazi enemy.

The only other occupant of the trench was a dead and nearly frozen Soviet lieutenant who had been there when Bogrov wandered in. The weary young soldier was on the verge of dozing off when, suddenly and without warning, three German soldiers appeared, jumping down from the edge of the trench. Bogrov glanced furtively at his Mosin service rifle, leaning uselessly against the wall a few feet away.

"Ruki werch, Ruki werch!" the German sergeant commanded: "Hands up."

Realizing that the patrol was looking for prisoners to interrogate, and staring down the barrel of the sergeant's MP-38 submachine gun, Bogrov quickly complied. He was relieved of his rifle and searched, although not as carefully as he should have been.

As the Germans gathered at the other end of the trench to talk among themselves, the young Russian reached into his greatcoat and pulled out the M-1895 Nagant revolver he had taken from the body of the dead lieutenant. He emptied the cylinder at his opponents, killing all three in a matter of seconds.

Later, Bogrov described the incident in his diary: "Captured a cigarette lighter, a gold ring, a fountain pen, two pipes, tobacco and a comb."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/nagant_revolver.htm

Last edited: