Thread: anyone know a good attorney who defends the right to carry?

anyone know a good attorney who defends the right to carry?

Need help regarding keeping my right to carry. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for those of you who have given me advice on this situation already.

Glock214
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Campaign Veteran
    For Grand Rapids I'd recommend Steven W. Dulan.

http://www.stevenwdulan.com/Attorney.htm

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    For Grand Rapids I'd recommend Steven W. Dulan.

http://www.stevenwdulan.com/Attorney.htm
    Mr. Dulan is very expensive,($300) per hour IIRC, but if you can afford it he's probably your best bet. NRA Legal maybe able to recommend others in your area too? Dean Greenblatt is another fine lawyer, however he's in the Bloomfield Hills area / Metro Detroit. He's been known to offer flat fees instead of hourly charges in some cases. Good luck & hope everything works out for you. Or you could just move to AZ like I did. Now on a serious note - our "justice" system is often far from just. Don't give up, it may be a battle, but you can win if you dig in your heels and make it too difficult for "authorities" to keep bothering with you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Mr. Dulan is very expensive,($300) per hour IIRC, but if you can afford it he's probably your best bet. NRA Legal maybe able to recommend others in your area too? Dean Greenblatt is another fine lawyer, however he's in the Bloomfield Hills area / Metro Detroit. He's been known to offer flat fees instead of hourly charges in some cases. Good luck & hope everything works out for you. Or you could just move to AZ like I did. Now on a serious note - our "justice" system is often far from just. Don't give up, it may be a battle, but you can win if you dig in your heels and make it too difficult for "authorities" to keep bothering with you.

I was unaware $300/hr is expensive.

One of Dulan's largest benefits is that he often turns his cases into studies for his classes (he is a professor at Cooley Law). It's like adding 30 paralegals to your legal team for no added cost.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    I was unaware $300/hr is expensive.

One of Dulan's largest benefits is that he often turns his cases into studies for his classes (he is a professor at Cooley Law). It's like adding 30 paralegals to your legal team for no added cost.
    A simple misdemeanor case can go into double digit hours especially in a jury trial. So yes $300 per hour is expensive in my opinion when everything is billed @ $300 correspondence/email/phone, travel, etc.. 10 hours = $3,000. 20 hours = $6,000 & so on. Not everyone has $3,000 to (skies the limit) lying around Zig. Care to share the location of your money tree?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    A 1st yr lawyer makes about $125 - $150 an hour and they don't know anything for the most part. $300/hr for a guy who can do the work in 1/4th the time may not be a bad price.

You can always ask for a cap...some lawyers will agree to a cap.

$300 is near the top for this specialty. For patent attnys its not unusual to see $500/hr.

When I consult, its $250/hr.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-15-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Re: anyone know a good attorney who defends the right to carry?

300 per hour is a good deal for an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran
    For those who don't know - Dulan is the staff attorney for Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners.

Justice Ain't Cheap!
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Justice Ain't Cheap!
    I'd rather spend my money on guns an ammo....

Thank you to everybody who gave some much needed input, I appreciate it. I am going to call dulan and see what he has to say about my situation, and go from there. And hopefully his services don't burn up my wallet to bad. I'm praying this just goes away, however I don't like my odds. First contact since this situation arose is tomorrow. Video and audio will be used. Covert or not, any suggestions seeing this could go through the system? I'm aware of the expectation of privacy issues surrounding audio/video use.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    by expectation of privacy, you mean that you understand that only one party (you) has to consent to the recording of a conversation in michigan, correct? and that public officials have no expectation of privacy while on duty, also, correct?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    by expectation of privacy, you mean that you understand that only one party (you) has to consent to the recording of a conversation in michigan, correct? and that public officials have no expectation of privacy while on duty, also, correct?
    That is correct smellslikemichigan, I tried to explain that to people who tell me I'm doing something illegal etc. but yes, I'm aware of that and record everyday. But thank you for making sure I did. Many people don't know that.

you are a smart man for not posting the story here on the forum at this point in time.

I look forward to reading your story and the positive outcome in the future.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Justice Ain't Cheap!
    That's "one" thing wrong with the system.

Re: anyone know a good attorney who defends the right to carry?

Speaking from experience, a recording will be your best defence.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Speaking from experience, a recording will be your best defence.

Thank you DrTodd, I am recording everything and also doing anything possible to limit any and all contact. However, when contact is required I am keeping records of everything, along with witnesses if at all possible.