• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone know a good attorney who defends the right to carry?

Glock214

Need help regarding keeping my right to carry. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for those of you who have given me advice on this situation already.

Glock214

FreeInAZ

For Grand Rapids I'd recommend Steven W. Dulan.

http://www.stevenwdulan.com/Attorney.htm

Mr. Dulan is very expensive,($300) per hour IIRC, but if you can afford it he's probably your best bet. NRA Legal maybe able to recommend others in your area too? Dean Greenblatt is another fine lawyer, however he's in the Bloomfield Hills area / Metro Detroit. He's been known to offer flat fees instead of hourly charges in some cases. Good luck & hope everything works out for you. Or you could just move to AZ like I did. :p Now on a serious note - our "justice" system is often far from just. Don't give up, it may be a battle, but you can win if you dig in your heels and make it too difficult for "authorities" to keep bothering with you. ;)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
Mr. Dulan is very expensive,($300) per hour IIRC, but if you can afford it he's probably your best bet. NRA Legal maybe able to recommend others in your area too? Dean Greenblatt is another fine lawyer, however he's in the Bloomfield Hills area / Metro Detroit. He's been known to offer flat fees instead of hourly charges in some cases. Good luck & hope everything works out for you. Or you could just move to AZ like I did. :p Now on a serious note - our "justice" system is often far from just. Don't give up, it may be a battle, but you can win if you dig in your heels and make it too difficult for "authorities" to keep bothering with you. ;)

I was unaware $300/hr is expensive.

One of Dulan's largest benefits is that he often turns his cases into studies for his classes (he is a professor at Cooley Law). It's like adding 30 paralegals to your legal team for no added cost.

FreeInAZ

I was unaware $300/hr is expensive.

One of Dulan's largest benefits is that he often turns his cases into studies for his classes (he is a professor at Cooley Law). It's like adding 30 paralegals to your legal team for no added cost.

A simple misdemeanor case can go into double digit hours especially in a jury trial. So yes $300 per hour is expensive in my opinion when everything is billed @ $300 correspondence/email/phone, travel, etc.. 10 hours = $3,000. 20 hours = $6,000 & so on. Not everyone has $3,000 to (skies the limit) lying around Zig. Care to share the location of your money tree? :p

davidmcbeth

Banned
A 1st yr lawyer makes about $125 - $150 an hour and they don't know anything for the most part. $300/hr for a guy who can do the work in 1/4th the time may not be a bad price.

You can always ask for a cap...some lawyers will agree to a cap.

$300 is near the top for this specialty. For patent attnys its not unusual to see $500/hr.

When I consult, its $250/hr.

Last edited:

Glock214

Thank you to everybody who gave some much needed input, I appreciate it. I am going to call dulan and see what he has to say about my situation, and go from there. And hopefully his services don't burn up my wallet to bad. I'm praying this just goes away, however I don't like my odds. First contact since this situation arose is tomorrow. Video and audio will be used. Covert or not, any suggestions seeing this could go through the system? I'm aware of the expectation of privacy issues surrounding audio/video use.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
by expectation of privacy, you mean that you understand that only one party (you) has to consent to the recording of a conversation in michigan, correct? and that public officials have no expectation of privacy while on duty, also, correct?

Glock214

by expectation of privacy, you mean that you understand that only one party (you) has to consent to the recording of a conversation in michigan, correct? and that public officials have no expectation of privacy while on duty, also, correct?

That is correct smellslikemichigan, I tried to explain that to people who tell me I'm doing something illegal etc. but yes, I'm aware of that and record everyday. But thank you for making sure I did. Many people don't know that.

Glock214

Speaking from experience, a recording will be your best defence.

Thank you DrTodd, I am recording everything and also doing anything possible to limit any and all contact. However, when contact is required I am keeping records of everything, along with witnesses if at all possible.