Thread: We The People Obama Guns Free Zone petition fails despite 40,000 signatures

We The People Obama Guns Free Zone petition fails despite 40,000 signatures

"The White House dismissed the call to disarm the president's security detail, noting that Congress mandated full-time protection of the president after the third assassination of a sitting president in 1901. "Those who are the subject of ongoing threats must receive the necessary and appropriate protection," the White House wrote in its response. “At the same time, all of us deserve to live in safer communities, which is why we need to take responsible, commonsense steps to reduce gun violence, even while respecting individual freedom."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...resident-obama

Official White House Response to Eliminate armed guards for the President, Vice-President, and their families, and establish Gun Free Zones around them

Thanks for your petition.

We live in a world where our elected leaders and representatives are subject to serious, persistent, and credible threats on a daily basis. Even those who are mere candidates in a national election become symbols of our country, which makes them potential targets for those seeking to do harm to the United States and its interests. In 1901, after the third assassination of a sitting President, Congress mandated that the President receive full-time protection, and that law is still in effect today. Because of it, those who are the subject of ongoing threats must receive the necessary and appropriate protection.

At the same time, all of us deserve to live in safer communities, which is why we need to take responsible, commonsense steps to reduce gun violence, even while respecting individual freedom. And let's be clear: President Obama believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms.

But the common-sense steps the President has proposed don’t infringe in any way on our Second Amendment rights. We ought to be able to keep weapons of war off the streets. We ought to close the loopholes in the background check system that make it too easy for criminals and other dangerous people to buy guns — an idea that has the support of 90 percent of people in the United States.

That's why the President and an overwhelming majority of Americans are calling on Congress to pass gun safety legislation that closes loopholes in the background check system and makes gun trafficking a federal crime.

A minority in the Senate is blocking this common-sense legislation to reduce gun violence, but President Obama is already taking action to protect our kids with executive actions. He is taking the steps available to him as President to strengthen the existing background check system, give law enforcement officials more tools to prevent gun violence, end the freeze on gun violence research, make schools safer, and improve access to mental health care.
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...zones/6RDGkxLK

Russia Today http://rt.com/usa/white-house-obama-petition-gun-501/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 08-15-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

We have to watch out for buzzwords like "common sense" and "comprehensive" as they have been redefined to fit the agenda.

Creating laws that disarm lawful citizens, that make it difficult for lawful citizens to exercise a right are not "common sense" ways to reduce violence...it is the opposite.

What is common sense, like showing an ID to vote is being hammered as being extreme.

So disarming the law abiding is a way to stop crime is "common sense" but requiring people to prove who they to vote is not?

This would be funny if it weren't true.

Banned
    I don't care about the lives of our elected folks .... would the petition have saved me $$$ ?

$$$ out of my pocket or politicians feeling safer? Give me the $$$.