Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: highpoint firearms

highpoint firearms

I was wanting to know what everybody thought about the highpoint firearms ..."9mm". I was thinking about getting one seeing I live on SSI and I dont have alot of money.

If one can not afford something better.

Having a working fire arm is one of the rules of winning a gun fight.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post

I thought this was the rule...Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

I don't care much for Hi-Points, but my brother in law loves his 9mm.

right now I carry a 9 shot .22cal revolver.

I own, and avidly OC a Hi-point model JHP .40SW, have been carrying it for almost two years. In all honesty, I adore it. I haven't owned the 9mm variant, but I've owned the .45ACP, which I didn't care for mostly for the round, .45 is too heavy for my tastes. Speaking form experience, I've owned Glocks, Taurus, RIA 1911s, and a Sig; And I'd take my .40SW Hi-point over any of the others I've owned, fired, or fired. A lot of people hate on the Hi-point because of it's price being cheap, and the sheer bulk of it being near to holding a brick, but a lot of the nay-Sayers think that low price, and bulky size means its inaccurate, or has problems loading and firing, or is a general P.O.S.

A lot of the nay-Sayers who think that way, are wrong.

The Hi-point pistol is comparative in reliability, accuracy, and handling, to the AK-47 rifle.

Having owned an AK [47 & 74s], and several ARs; I make a experience based noted review for ya, and the Hi-point haters.

The Hi-point and the AK are [or was, in the AK's area] relatively low priced. Seven years ago, I bought an AK-47, Romanian variant, folding stock, 3DS red-dot sight, and tac light, for 375$, and the ammo for it was insanely cheap compared to the present day. Depending where you go, you can buy a new Hi-point, out of the box, in .380, 9mm, .40, and .45, for between 125$, up to 180$.

You can expect to pay thrice the value of the AK, or Hi-point, for a glock, Sig, tuarus, ruger, etc. Depending where you shop at, and while you have a nice sidearm, you also have to buy a holster for it, and the ammo, and extra mags, which can lead you, in most cases, to spend up to 450$+ by the time all is said and done.

Reliability; The Hi-point's sheer mass, and bulk, isn't just there to help tone up your draw arm while saving you a gym membership's expenses!

All that blockiness lends the Hi-point plenty of mechanical space, for all teh moving parts to move around in. Just like the AK-47, it's heavy, bulky, but you can lock the slide back in an open position, throw it pistol in mud, sand, water, or concrete, take it out, ratchet it back a few times, and it'll fire like 'Not a single F--- given'.

Accuracy; The Hi-point has crap accuracy, I'll be honest with that, even with advanced sighting, and lasers, and stuff, it's not as accurate as a glock, or the other top brand-name pistols. But! If you're firing within 20 yards, you can put about 6/7 rounds in or near a bulls-eye. And, hey, in a self defense scenario, you're gonna be working with up close and personal ranges, or as I've known it called 'shotgun' range. Under 15 yards, the Hi-point is dead on accurate. But the same is attributed to the AK-47; Which after 300-to-400 yards, the accuracy of the AK-47 falls off a cliff.

Up close, the AK and the Hi-point are meant to throw lead reliably at whatever is a threat, until said threat is no longer a threat. And do so while almost never having to break the weapon down, and clean it.

As a starter weapon, I highly encourage, or recommend you get a Hi-point, or as a veteran Carrier, I still say get a HP.

Case in point, and for TL;DR sake: I haven't cleaned my Hi-point in nearly two years, since I bought it, actually. I have put thousands, if not tens of thousands, of rounds of ammo through it, and have NEVER had a mis-fire, or failure-to-feed/fire, nor have I had a problem with magazine jamming, or getting suck. And most of the ammo I fire through it is cheap ammo, sometimes target corrosive, but mostly non-corrosive.

Plus, the polymer shell and grips give credit to its name, no scratches, good grip. Only thing I hate about the exterior, is the safety switch broke off last year, but that's okay, it has a heavy trigger, and my finger is all the safety I need.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

I ran out of characters to type! xD That's a first.

Anyway! Another thing to consider; the Hi-point is made in Ohio! Mansfield, or St. Marys, I can't recall which, and the Mfg. name is worn off on my pistol's slide.

But, all-in-all, a carry pistol is a pistol that you hopefully will rarely use outside of the target range, will [hopefully] spend most of its time in your holster, but when you need to use it, it needs to be reliable, it needs to throw lead where you need it thrown, and it needs to work the way its supposed to. Looks, and pretty factor means nothing in the long run. Glocks, Sigs, Taurus, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield; when you buy them, you're buying the 'high pretty factor'. They all look pretty, and feel pretty, and sound pretty. But unless you find the one criminal who is more concerned about your shiny pretty pistol, than the lead in the chamber, then it's just a 500$ lead slinger. And I'd rather have a 150$ Lead slinger that I can drop, and run over, and use as a club when it doesn't have any more lead to throw, than some pretty piece of aluminum-steel that I constantly worry about scratching and cleaning.

And thats why the AK-47 is more popular in the world than the AR; a six year old can pick up an AK, and take out twenty rebels, and throw it in a river, to be found three years later, and used to take out ten more people. Can't do that with an AR of any make or model.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Well now I just may have to get myself one. My carry weapon is a Nagant revolver, stamped 1926, so can't really say not to buy something. Lol.

Don't forget the warranty.....

www.hi-pointfirearms.com

The Hi-Point Warranty
    All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked warranty."
    Whether you are the original purchaser, or the third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired free of charge.

thanks Drake for the info on the highpoint, I seen one in a cabelas flyer and seen the price, so i decided to do some research on it. they are located in Mansfield OH.

Allow me to offer a counter: I have had experience with 3 different Hi-Point firearms, all the same model of 9mm handgun (don't ask me the model, I don't know it as none of the firearms in question were mine). In short, my experience with Hi-Point is hands-down the worst experience I have ever had with a firearm. Ever.

All 3 were jam-o-matics with any of several commercial brands of 9mm ammo. I've seen handguns before that didn't like a particular brand or style of ammo, but these three didn't like anything they were fed - standard 115gr or 124gr ball, 124gr and 147gr hollowpoints, nothing. Typical range experience went something like bang bang jam, bang jam, bang bang bang jam - I never saw any of the three string together more than 3 or 4 shots between jams. In two of the cases I commented that sometimes how the handgun is handled can make a difference so they had me try firing a magazine full through them, to much the same effect.

Now, to their credit, they do have an outstanding warranty - but there seems to be a good chance you'll need it. Of the three I've seen, I have only been in contact with one of the owners longer than the chance encounter at the range and he was eventually able to get his working (mostly) reliably after two trips to the factory. I say mostly because he reports that if he sticks to one or two specific brands and bullet weights he has no problems, but if he varies it gets iffy - not so iffy as it originally was, but still at least one jam out of a box of 50 rounds.

So, they are cheap, big, and ugly, and those are their good qualities. But if you stick with it and are willing to invest your time and effort (and ammo) it seems likely that you can eventually have a serviceable firearm. Of course, you could get lucky and have one work reliably out of the box, but that seems like a crap shoot to me. I'd rather save up a few more shekels and get a better quality handgun in the first place.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Re: highpoint firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gardner View Post
    I was wanting to know what everybody thought about the highpoint firearms ..."9mm". I was thinking about getting one seeing I live on SSI and I dont have alot of money.
    Hi Pat. The Hi-Point is a well made gun @ a affordable price. I can shoot smiley's with my JHP 45's. Many of the people who bash them know little to nothing about them. I have owned them (and many other much more expensive pistols for years.) Please take a moment a skim through this thread started as a joke. The OP is now looking at buying a HP.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=113790

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    http://www.ctswatchallenge.com/spons...-and-sponsors/

I am not dealing with the manufacturer's listed in the above link...after PA13-3's passage I think that companies who continue to sell guns/mags/access to CT and towns that we can no longer purchase do not deserve my $$.

Smith & Wesson is one ... many others ... I do not see Hi-Point on the list.

We had a person in our class last year that made that very claim, I was able to point of several things he was able to do that he had more then enough money to not only buy one used glock but another for his wife to have at the home in less then 30 days. There is a point where a gun is too cheap to risk to even be carried for protection. For the price of a high point I can get a quality made used revolver and in many cases for 100$ more I can buy a used Glock. People say well I can not afford to buy a better gun, I say BS. Does this person have cable TV, Internet, game console, do they go out to eat or go to the bar on weekends, do they go to the movies or to concerts.. If people make it a priority they can easily buy a quality firearm and not risk their life to a High point. Again I own a 1979 Charter arms 38 Special revolver that I payed 135 for. People make too many excuses why they can not afford to buy a quality firearm and yet if you truly care about your family's protection you will make every effort to get a good firearm. I don't know about all the members here, but my family life is worth more to me then the sub quality and reliability standards of a HighPoint. Relying on them for self defense is playing with fire. I have seen dozens and dozens of these "quality guns" fail in training from failure to feed/fire to the point of the weapon becoming nonoperational so much so that the OPOTA instructors ban the use of them in the course.
    Last edited by zack991; 08-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

I own the Hi-Point .45 acp paid $159 for it new last year, it is a straight shooter, it has never jammed, it is solid, good and reliable in my opinion. I can't answer about the reliability of the 9mm, .380 or .40 since I have never shot them.
    Last edited by Midwest; 08-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

Banned
    Interesting news clip on glock former ceo ..

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...go-free/nYrNw/

Also, glock is still supporting government agencies in CT after passage of PA13-3 .... terrible terrible

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Interesting news clip on glock former ceo ..

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...go-free/nYrNw/

Also, glock is still supporting government agencies in CT after passage of PA13-3 .... terrible terrible
    Never under estimate the power of motivated self-interest and corporate greed.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

love my HP .40 carbine...ugly as sin, but cheap and very accurate. Personally, I really enjoy my Argentine Hi-Power 9mm...but they are not as cheap as they were 20+ years ago.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

There's a few folks here who are at best mis-informed. Anyone try to buy a used glock for a $159 in this market? Don't think so. However one can buy a Hi-Point 45/40/9mm/380 with a laser kit for under $200 new. I know I bought yet another HP 45 new with a laser for $199. Now HP will sell you mags for the 45 for $18 including shipping right to your door. Try that in this current market for a S&W, SIG, Walther etc...
    I have owned hi-points & glocks for over 20 years. They are not similar guns but somehow are compared? They do have one thing in common from my REAL WORLD experience: they are both dependable. Now to those who say the hi-point is a crappy design... you do know it's based off of the earlier blow back pistols that Colt arms designed, right? So you are saying Colt designed crappy pistols...I don't think so.

Don't take my word for it:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...ipoint_100605/

http://www.gunweek.com/2006/feature0120.html

And even NutNfancy who hates hi-point pistols (but loves the carbines...wtf?) had to admit they are accurate reliable guns.

Bottom line Pat. You want a affordable pistol in todays market your choices are very limited. The Hi-point is a good choice and suitable for open carry. My J9 (old model 9mm) is more accurate than my glock 17 with fancy target sights. Fixed barrel designs are known for accuracy, go figure.
    Hi-points are not glocks, but they will take abuse see last link.

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...kq7WdB-0LA</a>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 08-19-2013 at 02:23 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    However one can buy a Hi-Point 45/40/9mm/380 with a laser kit for under $200 new.

It was mid 2012 I paid $159 for the Hi-Point .45 acp new. Last week I saw it selling for $210 new at Triggers in Florence KY. Don't know if Hi-Point raised the price since last year or the LGS is selling what the market will bear...
    Last edited by Midwest; 08-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

I am glad you Hi point owners enjoy them.

I don't think I'll be joining the ranks of Hi point owners.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I am glad you Hi point owners enjoy them.

I don't think I'll be joining the ranks of Hi point owners.
    Gotta love the free market, eh? I will not be joining the ranks of owners for most brands either.

I want to again say thanks to everyone, I love reading everyone's thoughts on Hi-point firearms. Like i said before right now i carry my 9-shot .22Cal revolver with hollow points.

I think carrying a .22 Cal is better than not carrying anything at all for self defense. I have a step-nephew that when he sees me with my firearm on me always asks why do u carry your 22 uncle pat, I tell him that i carry it for self defense and he once told me that no one is scared of a .22Cal firearm.

I told him that if i ever have to use it i can slow a BG down with it. He thinks that a 45 is the only way to go, He's only 19 and he thinks he knows everything. But anyway i love reading everyone's posts i appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Carry On

I had a Hi-Point .45 years ago, bought new.

It never failed to operate.

It put a hole where I pointed it lining up the white dots.

I sold it, as I never got used to the 'heel mag release,' and it was simply chunky.

At the price point, it simply cannot be beat. It isn't a 'cheap gun.' It is a quality firearm that is low cost.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    I had a Hi-Point .45 years ago, bought new.

It never failed to operate.

It put a hole where I pointed it lining up the white dots.

I sold it, as I never got used to the 'heel mag release,' and it was simply chunky.

At the price point, it simply cannot be beat. It isn't a 'cheap gun.' It is a quality firearm that is low cost.
    That was a long while ago. Heel release has been replaced by a well located mag release on the grip & mags release easily. They are a bit chunky, they have to be to keep the slide closed until pressure drops to the safe point for ejection, being a "blow-back" operated guns. Trigger on the JCP (40 cal) & JHP (45acp) have been improved and with a little buffing of the internals can be made better.

Nice thing about Hi-Point is the guy you sold it to is still covered under the warranty. I sent the old 9mm (out of production for many years now) in along with all the old (20 years) mags. They completely rebuilt the gun new everything (ejector, barrel, firing pin, trigger, lower frame, handles, springs....) except the slide frame which was in good shape. They also replaced all the mags & sent another to cover my shipping cost. That's service! Considering I paid $89 OTD for it in 1992.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Never under estimate the power of motivated self-interest and corporate greed.
    Oh, some of these corp. went to the capitol for a whooping 2 hrs ... I wont be buying any of their products ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast