• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

highpoint firearms

Pat Gardner

I want to again say thanks to everyone, I love reading everyone's thoughts on Hi-point firearms. Like i said before right now i carry my 9-shot .22Cal revolver with hollow points.

I think carrying a .22 Cal is better than not carrying anything at all for self defense. I have a step-nephew that when he sees me with my firearm on me always asks why do u carry your 22 uncle pat, I tell him that i carry it for self defense and he once told me that no one is scared of a .22Cal firearm.

I told him that if i ever have to use it i can slow a BG down with it. He thinks that a 45 is the only way to go, He's only 19 and he thinks he knows everything. But anyway i love reading everyone's posts i appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Carry On

wrightme

I had a Hi-Point .45 years ago, bought new.

It never failed to operate.

It put a hole where I pointed it lining up the white dots.

I sold it, as I never got used to the 'heel mag release,' and it was simply chunky.

At the price point, it simply cannot be beat. It isn't a 'cheap gun.' It is a quality firearm that is low cost.

FreeInAZ

I had a Hi-Point .45 years ago, bought new.

It never failed to operate.

It put a hole where I pointed it lining up the white dots.

I sold it, as I never got used to the 'heel mag release,' and it was simply chunky.

At the price point, it simply cannot be beat. It isn't a 'cheap gun.' It is a quality firearm that is low cost.

That was a long while ago. Heel release has been replaced by a well located mag release on the grip & mags release easily. They are a bit chunky, they have to be to keep the slide closed until pressure drops to the safe point for ejection, being a "blow-back" operated guns. Trigger on the JCP (40 cal) & JHP (45acp) have been improved and with a little buffing of the internals can be made better. ;)

Nice thing about Hi-Point is the guy you sold it to is still covered under the warranty. I sent the old 9mm (out of production for many years now) in along with all the old (20 years) mags. They completely rebuilt the gun new everything (ejector, barrel, firing pin, trigger, lower frame, handles, springs....) except the slide frame which was in good shape. They also replaced all the mags & sent another to cover my shipping cost. That's service! Considering I paid $89 OTD for it in 1992. :D

Buckeyenomad

I ran out of characters to type! xD That's a first.

Anyway! Another thing to consider; the Hi-point is made in Ohio! Mansfield, or St. Marys, I can't recall which, and the Mfg. name is worn off on my pistol's slide.

Hi=Points are assembled in Mansfield, Lima and Vandalia-Dayton Ohio and maybe somewhere else. The warranty is good and if you carry or shoot it much it will probably be sent back.

They are cheap, enabling self protection for a lot of people

FreeInAZ

I ran out of characters to type! xD That's a first.

Anyway! Another thing to consider; the Hi-point is made in Ohio! Mansfield, or St. Marys, I can't recall which, and the Mfg. name is worn off on my pistol's slide.

Hi=Points are assembled in Mansfield, Lima and Vandalia-Dayton Ohio and maybe somewhere else. The warranty is good and if you carry or shoot it much it will probably be sent back.

They are cheap, enabling self protection for a lot of people

There's a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. As to if one carries or shoots it a lot it will need to be sent back... I had a 20+ yr old 9mm. It only needed to be sent back because of my cracking the alloy frame. Not the guns fault, mine. What I got back was a new serialed numbered gun. Only thing not new was the slide as they had no more for the JS9 in their inventory. It was a good gun before, now it is a excellent $89 gun. Accurate, reliable. What more can one ask for out of sub $200 USA made pistols? Try sending in a 20 year old Glock & see what you get back in terms of the pistol and the BILL? :confused:

mobiushky

There's a big difference between "cheap" and inexpensive. As to if one carries or shoots it a lot it will need to be sent back... I had a 20+ yr old 9mm. It only needed to be sent back because of my cracking the alloy frame. Not the guns fault, mine. What I got back was a new serialed numbered gun. Only thing not new was the slide as they had no more for the JS9 in their inventory. It was a good gun before, now it is a excellent $89 gun. Accurate, reliable. What more can one ask for out of sub $200 USA made pistols? Try sending in a 20 year old Glock & see what you get back in terms of the pistol and the BILL? :confused:

To answer that Glock bit, what you get back is a completely refurbished* Glock with a bill of $0. Unless you want them to refinish it for a mind boggling $65.

As for the rest of this thread in general. Seriously, what's the deal with people having their egos so tightly wrapped around their gun? A Hi-point is a Hi-point. It has no special magical powers and it's not going to shoot sub-MOA at 6,000 yards in a hurricane. It's a handgun. It's more accurate than you need for a handgun to be. Each and every handgun has it's own modes of malfunction. If you get a Hi-point, learn it's unique modes and practice clearing them until you can do it blindfolded and with one hand. End of story. Same goes for a Glock, an XD, a S&W, a Beretta, an H&K, Etc, Etc... Whatever you get, learn it. Practice it. And enjoy it. Can we stop tying our "manhood" to the gun we get? Maybe stop saying stuff that isn't accurate to try and convince the guy to get our flavor of the month?

The guy asked a simply question. What do you guys think of Hi-point for a budget self-defense gun. The answer is pretty simple. Unless the gun is total crap (which it's not) then get what you can afford and learn it. If you want something else, no worries.

*by refurbished, any part not meeting factory spec is replaced as required.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

To answer that Glock bit, what you get back is a completely refurbished* Glock with a bill of $0. Unless you want them to refinish it for a mind boggling $65.

As for the rest of this thread in general. Seriously, what's the deal with people having their egos so tightly wrapped around their gun? A Hi-point is a Hi-point. It has no special magical powers and it's not going to shoot sub-MOA at 6,000 yards in a hurricane. It's a handgun. It's more accurate than you need for a handgun to be. Each and every handgun has it's own modes of malfunction. If you get a Hi-point, learn it's unique modes and practice clearing them until you can do it blindfolded and with one hand. End of story. Same goes for a Glock, an XD, a S&W, a Beretta, an H&K, Etc, Etc... Whatever you get, learn it. Practice it. And enjoy it. Can we stop tying our "manhood" to the gun we get? Maybe stop saying stuff that isn't accurate to try and convince the guy to get our flavor of the month?

The guy asked a simply question. What do you guys think of Hi-point for a budget self-defense gun. The answer is pretty simple. Unless the gun is total crap (which it's not) then get what you can afford and learn it. If you want something else, no worries.

*by refurbished, any part not meeting factory spec is replaced as required.

Please site the text of a glock warranty that say they'll refurb to like new condition a 20 year old pistol please? Let alone for someone who may be the 10th owner? I agree with most of your post, but you said we need to be truthful so let's. Best I can find is a one year limited warranty for the original owner. Also any pistol shipped to them must be shipped overnight via Fed-ex / UPS (not cheap last I checked). On the warranty form they ask for credit card info - so they must be charging for some repairs, no? Not bashing glock, own several, all fine guns.
http://us.glock.com/customer-service/glock-warranty

Last edited:

mobiushky

Please site the text of a glock warranty that say they'll refurb to like new condition a 20 year old pistol please? Let alone for someone who may be the 10th owner? I agree with most of your post, but you said we need to be truthful so let's. Best I can find is a one year limited warranty for the original owner. Also any pistol shipped to them must be shipped overnight via Fed-ex / UPS (not cheap last I checked). On the warranty form they ask for credit card info - so they must be charging for some repairs, no? Not bashing glock, own several, all fine guns.
http://us.glock.com/customer-service/glock-warranty

Glock's non-limited "warranty" is unwritten due to international laws. But if you fill out the actual warranty return form and send it to them, they will replace the parts that do not meet factory spec. I have not had to, but I personally know people who have. The MOST expensive repair is if you want to "upgrade" your frame to the latest version which will cost you $100. This is all on the warranty return form. Essentially if you have a Gen 1 and want a Gen 4 it'll cost you $100. The card info spot is for if you want to take advantage of the optional things.

Give them a call in Smyrna. You'll be pleasantly surprised what they will do to accommodate you even without a "written" warranty. I've had friends who returned magazines with weak springs only to have them replace the entire magazine with brand new ones because they found some minor defect and preferred to just replace the whole thing. All for the cost of shipping. Point being, the warranty is lifetime of the firearm even if the written part doesn't say it. Pretty much the same thing that goes for S&W and many of the other well known makers. Even though the warranty says 1 year, original owner, they pretty much don't care. Those are just written for the lawyers to be happy.

And if you don't believe me, seriously, call Smyrna.

PS, no personal experience or anyone I personally know, but I have read of people's experiences where Glock has replaced cracked frames for free. But like I said, no one I know personally has had that problem.

Also, shipping a handgun over night to any company is going to cost, so I'm not sure how that matters.

Last edited:

mobiushky

I wanted to follow up in the mailing. Many people assume that you cannot mail a handgun by USPS because they don't bother to ready the full rules. Note that in USPS explanations of "mailability" in section 12.1.5 it says:

12.1.5 Manufacturers, Dealers, and Importers
Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms, licensed dealers of firearms, and licensed importers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#1075956

Of course, it's on you to test those waters with the people at the counter who don't even read their own rules.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Well helpful usually means accurate info. You stated lots of things as fact when they aren't. Then you admit you have never sent anything to Glock yourself? Not bashing you, but you are the one who came here saying we needed to be factual.

Back on topic - Hi-Point warranties their guns for the life of the gun. Doesn't matter if you are the 50th owner. If you have a issue: they will repair it, or replace it with a new pistol. Better guns out there? Sure.
Better warranty department/customer service - doubt it. :D

Last edited:

mobiushky

Well helpful usually means accurate info. You stated lots of things as fact when they aren't. Then you admit you have never sent anything to Glock yourself? Not bashing you, but you are the one who came here saying we needed to be factual.

Back on topic - Hi-Point warranties their guns for the life of the gun. Doesn't matter if you are the 50th owner. If you have a issue: they will repair it, or replace it with a new pistol. Better guns out there? Sure.
Better warranty department/customer service - doubt it. :D

Everything I said is 100% accurate. Your inability to accept it points more to your own personal ego being directly tied to your choices. I don't have that limitation. You choose not to believe it, go right ahead. I literally could not care what you think about it. I have been 100% factual. Provably so by a simple phone call to Smyrna. I said I have not sent anything personally, but I have friends who have. In fact, I have one friend who is wrapping up a Glock right now to send back. And I personally know a Glock armorer. But I shouldn't have to prove anything to you because some of us are here to help others honestly, not tout our own personal bias as fact. I don't claim stuff that isn't true. You might be ok with that, but I have more integrity than that.

FreeInAZ

Then please provide cites to what you are claiming as fact. I posted the glock warranty for you. Obviously you chose not to read it.

Again back on topic. Hi-Point has a great warranty. I am not biased for saying so. It is my personal experience. You claim Glock's is comparable - I hope you are right as, I own several. However, I can find nothing in writing anywhere to back up your claims. You yourself have never used glocks warranty program as you stated. When you have, post about it. It will help us all. Thanks. Until then you are just relaying what someone told you, so readers of this forum need to be aware of that.

Tackett

im going to weigh in on this.

I own a hi point cf-380. I have no qualms with the firearm. Do I carry it? No. Mainly because its heavy, and IMO, its pretty ugly. But as a home defense weapon, when the poo hits the fan, I have no doubts it will cycle and spit the ammo just as well as my steyr. Its rugged, Ive used it in pretty dirty drills and its always performed well.

Having said all that, its definatley not perfect. Id argue that NO sidearm is perfect. Each one will have its ups and downs.

For me, the pitfalls of the hi point, and why it sees more safe time than carry time, is that its heavy for a 38 auto and cannot be field stripped without punching out a pin. But with that being said, I have no problem relying on it as a home defense weapon and I have no doubts to its reliablity.

my steyr is about half the weight and a .40 s&w and can be stripped down and reassebled in literally less than 30 seconds. Which is why it gets carried.

So as a carry gun, I would vote against the hi-point. but as a cheap, no nonsense reliable boat anchor/firearm, you wont be disapointed.

in thousands upon thousands of rounds before 38 became a rarity, I cant even remember the last time I had any kind of problem.

Phoenix David

Hi Pat. The Hi-Point is a well made gun @ a affordable price. I can shoot smiley's with my JHP 45's. Many of the people who bash them know little to nothing about them. I have owned them (and many other much more expensive pistols for years.) Please take a moment a skim through this thread started as a joke. The OP is now looking at buying a HP. :)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113790

byge8aqe.jpg

IMO I wouldn't call that accurate at 7 yard slow fire.

Tackett

IMO I wouldn't call that accurate at 7 yard slow fire.

I can attest that I won't be doing any intensive target shooting with mine, nor would I intend to hold it to that standard.

I view it as a simple, reliable and rugged lead slinger to keep the baddies away. Nothing more.