• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Morrow County Fair Board (Mt. Gilead) thinks I am a "radical troublemaker"

eye95

In today's America, it IS extreme to advocate for Liberty. Doesn't make it wrong, just extreme.

I am an extremist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Troy bilt

I would be up for taking the family out to the fair for some greasy deep fried butter :D

If there is a interest in doing a open carry day in show of support it may be a good idea to ship off a e-mail to the neocarry boys.

MyWifeSaidYes

I would be up for taking the family out to the fair for some greasy deep fried butter :D

If there is a interest in doing a open carry day in show of support it may be a good idea to ship off a e-mail to the neocarry boys.

BriKuz's family and I will be there on 8/26. I won't be able to bring my family as school starts up next week for both my kids and my wife.

I'll post later this evening about my trip to the Morrow County fairgrounds and how all the people I needed to see are on vacation, out for the weekend or otherwise 'busy'.

The Captain was okay with me interrupting his lunch, but he was none too pleased about having to leave the municipal building and drive a very short distance to the fair office and take a report from the ladies I "alarmed".

THAT'S what I get for TELLING THEM I would be walking around the fairgrounds?

Ha!

Later.

eye95

An armed Gorrila riding a roller coaster would be worth the price of admission....lol

I hope he doesn't drop his carrot on someone's head while riding! :banana:

There will be small fee for pictures of said gorilla.

The carrot is unlit, so fear not. I haven't lit my carrot in almost 15 years.

It looks like folks in Ohio like to get armed, get together, and get around afoot. I'm glad I moved here.

So, Bri, you seem to have become the defacto ringleader. I'm up for whatever.

MyWifeSaidYes

Dropped by Mt. Gilead in Morrow County on Friday to take some pictures of what the fairgrounds looks like before the fair setup starts.

Saw those pesky signs:

Morrow-Fairgrounds-Gate-A.jpg Morrow-Fairgrounds-Gate-B.jpg

Some were on ticket booths (no problem) and some were on fences surrounding the grounds (problem).

Notice that they are posted pursuant to ORC 2923.126B and 2923.1212.

ORC 2923.126B lists the places where a CHL holder may not carry a CHL. The "premises" of a fairgrounds is not listed there.

ORC 2923.1212 is an instruction to certain entities to post a CPZ sign. This is not directed at a private citizen and has no penalty associated with it. You and I, as citizens, cannot "violate" 2923.1212.

Open carry is restricted by the language of the sign since it says 'unless otherwise authorized by law'. As we all know, open carry is legal BECAUSE there are no laws against it.

I disarmed and went into the fair office and let the nice lady know that I needed to talk to somebody about the "No Firearms" signs on the entrance to the fair and the fact that that's not permissible.

She told me that the Cheif of the Mt. Gilead Police was head of security for the fair and that he was working on that yesterday. She also told me that the Fair Board President was on vacation until a week from Sunday.

I asked if she could write down the Chief's name for me and she did, but she also wanted to get my name (handed me pen and paper) so she could have him or the Sheriff get ahold of me. When I neglected to write down my info, she asked my name. I said, "My name's Dave." and she wanted my last name, but I was already on my way out the door.

I stopped by the Mt. Gilead Municipal Building where the police department is located. I wandered aimlessly around Mt. Gilead for about 2 minutes before finding the place. NOT a big town.

The nice lady there said the Chief was out until Monday, but that the Captain was in. I never bothered to get his name, but he doesn't think the signs say I can't carry. :eek: Maybe he hasn't actually read them.

Here's the audio of the fair office lady and the police captain (part 1):

www.ohionets.com/stuff/Fair-office-police-captain-1.mp3

I was actually headed south on Rt. 61 back to Columbus when I decided I didn't want to take the chance the city was going to play a game of "Hide the Authority Figure". We call Monday and he'll have called in sick. Tuesday he will be too busy catching up on what he missed on Monday, etc., etc.

I stopped back at the fair office, opened the door and told the ladies at the counter, "Hi. Just to let you know, I'm gonna be walking around out here." Sounded perfectly innocent to me.

I took some pictures and eventually took a seat in the grandstand. Shade and a cool breeze. Nice.

Took 12 minutes for the Captain to show up. :rolleyes:

He spent about 6 minutes in the fair office and came out with a paper, probably a police incident report. As he drove over, I came down out of the grandstand. Getting out of his cruiser, he says, in an exasperated tone, "Have ya' got just a minute?"

Here's the audio of the fair office lady and the police captain (part deux). It's about 10 minutes long. If you listen to it, you'll find that I called all 'you people' crazy. :p

www.ohionets.com/stuff/Fair-office-police-captain-2.mp3

The ride back to Columbus was uneventful, so I hung out in Bexley's Jeffrey Park to see if I could get arrested there for carrying next to a school that really isn't a school.

No luck. :cry:

Last edited:

Suckerspawn

Sign at the Miami County Fairgrounds

MCFNorthGate.jpg

This sign is posted at the north entrance to the Miami County Fairgrounds. ORC 2923.122 applies to School Safety Zones. I have friends on the fair board. I have started a friendly dialogue with the fair board and the county prosecutor.

BriKuz

View attachment 10730

This sign is posted at the north entrance to the Miami County Fairgrounds. ORC 2923.122 applies to School Safety Zones. I have friends on the fair board. I have started a friendly dialogue with the fair board and the county prosecutor.

I'm going to see about setting up a crm/trouble ticket portal so that we can list each offending municipality and/or fair board/ag society... then, we can track what the status on each issue, and close out the trouble ticket once the issue is resolved... (with the possibility of re-opening a ticket, if necessary)

MWSY, do you know of a good theme for WordPress that can act as a trouble-ticket/bug tracker? (These ARE bugs in the laws ;-) )

BriKuz

Who else would like to join my family and MWSY in enjoying the fair on opening day, Aug 26th?

4PM is the official opening of the fair, but the baked goods competition is from 8to10AM... I'm thinking meet up around 3:00.

Any suggestions?

I think it will be worth it to see a fat man with a sidearm try to skip into the fair and get cuffed and stuffed :banana:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Who else would like to join my family and MWSY in enjoying the fair on opening day, Aug 26th?

4PM is the official opening of the fair, but the baked goods competition is from 8to10AM... I'm thinking meet up around 3:00.

Any suggestions?

I think it will be worth it to see a fat man with a sidearm try to skip into the fair and get cuffed and stuffed :banana:
There are strict rules about using the term "fat man." Political correctness requires "pleasingly plump" to be used.

eye95

Any suggestions?

See you at 3:00 on the 26th.

Jordysoso

Off topic but still on topic, does anyone know whether the Lorain county fair in Wellington is ok to OC at? I don't have a clue on where to even look without asking the people in charge

BriKuz

Off topic but still on topic, does anyone know whether the Lorain county fair in Wellington is ok to OC at? I don't have a clue on where to even look without asking the people in charge

Start a new thread about Lorain County Fair... as 0f 2011, it was still posted... drive by the fairgrounds and let us know... SOME of us enjoy being annoying until the Ag Society/Fair Board follow the law! ;-)

BriKuz

Signs are coming down (or already are)

Just got off the phone with Chief Zerman, Mt. Gilead Chief of Police and Head of Security for the fair. He said the signs are coming down, they may or may not go up on buildings. See anyone who decides to go on Monday!

MyWifeSaidYes

My thanks to Chief Zerman, Captain Underwood, and the nice lady at the Fair Office for their parts in getting the signs removed.

Big thanks go to BriKuz and everyone else who spends their valuable time working to make public entities follow the law.

Also, thanks to everyone who points out non-compliant signs, ordinances, rules and regulations around the state. That's where this type of activity starts. If it weren't for you (I hate to use this phrase) SEEING something and SAYING something, others wouldn't know about these issues.

So, to everybody, thanks!

DocWalker

My thanks to Chief Zerman, Captain Underwood, and the nice lady at the Fair Office for their parts in getting the signs removed.

Big thanks go to BriKuz and everyone else who spends their valuable time working to make public entities follow the law.

Also, thanks to everyone who points out non-compliant signs, ordinances, rules and regulations around the state. That's where this type of activity starts. If it weren't for you (I hate to use this phrase) SEEING something and SAYING something, others wouldn't know about these issues.

I really think the reason they put up the signs is to intimidate the not so well informed public.

They powers to be are either knowingly trying to intimidate the ignorant or we are being lead by morons.....

either way, good job getting them down.

eye95

Preemption hasn't been around that long. It is even more recent that the OHSC upheld preemption. Some signs predate preemption and some signs are the result of mindsets that preexisted preemption being still around because of ignorance of preemption. Most of this stuff are just mistakes. You can tell by how quickly they are corrected once pointed out.

There are some localities that are trying to exercise power that they know they do not legally have, but they are the exception, not the rule.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Apparently MyWifeSaidYes throwing his weight around had some effect.