• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Open Carry 'Gun Grab'?

Blk97F150

I seem to recall bits and pieces of this incident being posted quite a while back, but the information at the time seemed to indicate the firearm was dropped or fell out of the holster, and then was grabbed by the bad guy. This article seems to put a different light on it.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_1f9972ac-7e80-5926-9a82-bea7696473d8.html

<<An 18-year-old man was sentenced this week to 40 years in prison for murdering two men in separate shootings in South Richmond, including one victim who was shot with his own gun after it was snatched from his holster.>>

<<Tyler, 48, a customer at the gas station, was wearing a gun in a holster, plainly visible, when Smith grabbed the weapon from him during a struggle inside the store and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith, authorities said.>>

sidestreet

So who said...,

much of "modern journalism" leaves a great deal to be desired? Uh..., I'm pretty sure I did. ;)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
We pretty much put it to rest as not meeting the criteria. Some cried "Foul" because of technicalities. Darn those detail.

stay safe.

Blk97F150

We pretty much put it to rest as not meeting the criteria. Some cried "Foul" because of technicalities. Darn those detail.

stay safe.

Not to overly rehash something that apparently was 'put to rest'.... but what is the specifc criteria that a valid 'gun grab' must have?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Reactionary Zone

During the Surry Trial, I was talking to one of the Guards involved. This fellow makes stupid people look good.

He told me Skidmark "Was in the Captain's reactionary zone". I asked him what the hell a reactionary zone was and he said "We were trained that when someone got in your face, they were in your reactionary zone and you had to go upside his head or shoot him if he was armed".

You reckon those fearless warriors have scenario training...:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not to overly rehash something that apparently was 'put to rest'.... but what is the specifc criteria that a valid 'gun grab' must have?

Among other things, that the victim was targetted specifically because they were OCing. This situation involved a robbery in progress where the OCer became involved.

stay safe.

starbuck

I asked him what the hell a reactionary zone was

It's the "don't let people get within it" zone/gap/whatever. I've been through two LE academies, and the "reactionary zone/gap" was taught differently at both. The first one ( a federal one ) was "3-6 Feet". The second ( a local one ) was "Arm's reach plus 6 inches". Neither taught us anything about "going up side someone's head" and/or shooting arbitrarily.
Sounds to me like your description of the guard may be pretty spot-on.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's the "don't let people get within it" zone/gap/whatever. I've been through two LE academies, and the "reactionary zone/gap" was taught differently at both. The first one ( a federal one ) was "3-6 Feet". The second ( a local one ) was "Arm's reach plus 6 inches". Neither taught us anything about "going up side someone's head" and/or shooting arbitrarily.
Sounds to me like your description of the guard may be pretty spot-on.

That's where my post went. It was supposed to be in the scenario thread.
I thought Ed nuked it.

Sorry about all those bad things you didn't hear me say Ed!:lol:

Another Senior Moment:(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In this case a tussle ensued, the 1st time OCers gun fell out, bad guy picked it up and ran, good guy chased him and got shot for his efforts.

He was not targeted for his gun. It was not snatched from his holster or his hand.

Last edited: