• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to forum and need LS info

drakegrad98

I have visited this site many times, but am new to the forum. Can someone direct me to a link or file that spells outs the open carry law in Lees Summit?

I really appreciate it.

Superlite27

How do i get one?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Just click the link that says "code library" at the top of the error page, click on the state of Missouri, scroll down and click on "Lees Summit" and fish around their municipal codes until you find something like "offenses". Firearm laws are usually a sub-category of a sub-category, of another sub-category so you might have to fish around a little.

Laws in Missouri usually take the form of completely banning an activity, and then excepting categories of people from the blanket ban. So don't be alarmed if you find an ordinance banning OC. Just read a little further into the law, and 90% of the time you'll see "such and such and so and so are exempt from sub-sections (1), (3), (6), of sub-section (H)...etc. etc. and so on and so forth.....blah blah blah" which will exempt either "those in possession of a CCW issued in accordance with....blah, blah, blah" or "those who are lawfully allowed to posess a firearm.....blah, blah, blah"....

You have to read through carefully and devote lots of time to deciphering the "lawyerspeak", but eventually you'll be able to determine the exact intent and meaning of the law.

Superlite27

To simplify:

Server error.....click on code library
Code library.....click on the state of Missouri on the U.S. map
List of cities......click on Lees Summit
Lees Summit....click on ordinances
-Chapter 17
-Article VI
-Division 2
-Section 17-162 "Unlawful Use of a Weapon"
Subsection A lists violations
Subsection B lists exemptions

CCW holders are exempted from sub-sections (1), (8), and (10) of sub-section A (concealed carry, churches, and schools, respectively)

At no point in these ordinances did I see anything pertaining to the open carry of a firearm. Therefore, activities that are not explicitly forbidden are implicitly allowed.

One could argue that "exhibits in the presence of 1 or more persons a weapon ready and capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner" could mean OC. However, you'll notice the ordinance says "...in an angry or threatening manner."

In order to perform an arrest, the officers would have to conclude that a holstered firearm is considered "an angry or threatening manner.".

You'll notice that officers ALSO carry holstered firearms.

Now why would it be acceptable for public servants to walk around in an angry and threatening manner?

Hmmm. I guess a holstered firearm doesn't meet the definition of "angry and threatening manner".

Last edited:

JEStucker

I have a couple of friends that are officers with the Lee's Summit police department and I decided to talk to them both (Our sons are in the same scout troop.) Their responses were that while OC is legal in LS, don't be surprised if someone calls you out on it. The department is supposed to be aware of the laws, but they stated there are several officers who use their own interpretation of the ordinances in their daily duties. If you're seen OCing by an officer, everything should be fine, you may get a "Hi, hello" just to see if you act oddly, but "man with a gun" calls are still responded to accordingly until they can get eyes on the situation. By the way, they are both very pro-2A and very into citizens rights, especially when it comes to your right to self defense, they are definitely a pair of the good guys that are out there.

Superlite27

"Just expect officers to respond and check you out", or "Yes, It's legal BUT...."...is often the garbage I get fed when I ask police about OC.

I'm glad there are officers on "our side" (aren't we all on the same side?). There are many officers that are.

However, whenever I encounter an officer that gives me the 'ol, "You're gonna get [insert frightening boogeyman]!", I always make it a point to ask, "What other perfectly legal activity should I not do?" and wait expectantly for an answer.

davidmcbeth

Banned
"Just expect officers to respond and check you out", or "Yes, It's legal BUT...."...is often the garbage I get fed when I ask police about OC.

I'm glad there are officers on "our side" (aren't we all on the same side?). There are many officers that are.

However, whenever I encounter an officer that gives me the 'ol, "You're gonna get [insert frightening boogeyman]!", I always make it a point to ask, "What other perfectly legal activity should I not do?" and wait expectantly for an answer.

I just tell cops I'm a very fast draw ... so I don't think I'LL have a problem ... they love me!

Richieg150

I have a couple of friends that are officers with the Lee's Summit police department and I decided to talk to them both. The department is supposed to be aware of the laws, but they stated there are several officers who use their own interpretation of the ordinances in their daily duties. If you're seen OCing by an officer, everything should be fine, you may get a "Hi, hello" just to see if you act oddly, but "man with a gun" calls are still responded to accordingly until they can get eyes on the situation. By the way, they are both very pro-2A and very into citizens rights, especially when it comes to your right to self defense, they are definitely a pair of the good guys that are out there.
Asking a LEO about gun law interpretation, is a shot in the dark. They can do what they want depending on their interpretation of an ordinance which may or may or may not be correct. I personally have many encounters with LS finest.....there are some who know the current guns laws and act accordingly, and some who don't know the current gun laws , and some who know the current gun laws and do whatever they feel like doing that day, so you may get a pair of the good guys..... or not. Bottom line is you can Open Carry a firearm in LS, it violates no city ordinance or Missouri statute. But knowing your rights and the law............its the only thing non opinionated.