Thread: Refused .22LR ammo at Port Orchard Fred Meyer

Refused .22LR ammo at Port Orchard Fred Meyer

so today I went into to Fred Meyers after the meetup and saw some Federal .22 on the shelves, so I asked for it and go to pay, he asks for ID so i show him, and he saws that until my 21st birthday I can't buy it, saying their ATF license "defines .22 as pistol ammo" and "it's against state law" so I asked to speak to his manager, and he made every excuse not to call the manager so I told him I was leaving.

So I spoke to the manager over the phone and he said that store policy is not to sell .22lr to anyone under 21....

I'm going to go ahead and draft an email to corporate asking one more time... but it looks I'm going to have to do the unthinkable and start shopping at Wal*Mart
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Re: Refused .22LR ammo at Port Orchard Fred Meyer

Well you are like 12 rignt? Just kidding. Stores often have wishy washy policies. One might point out that the its called 22 Long Rifle for a reason. I have a younger friend who used to have issues buying ammo. Now he makes sure to tell them it's for a long gun (it is) & he has no more problems. Most clerks/managers will simply say no vs. risk doing something they have no clue about being legal or not. Being young does have it's draw backs. But then again, I'm so old I can remeber buying 22lr @ local party stores as a kid.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well you are like 12 rignt? Just kidding. Stores often have wishy washy policies. One might point out that the its called 22 Long Rifle for a reason. I have a younger friend who used to have issues buying ammo. Now he makes sure to tell them it's for a long gun (it is) & he has no more problems. Most clerks/managers will simply say no vs. risk doing something they have no clue about being legal or not. Being young does have it's draw backs. But then again, I'm so old I can remeber buying 22lr @ local party stores as a kid.
    Well yeah, I mean I just have to be going to WalMart and the LGS to buy the .22 since both of them well sell to me.

I have never been refused a sale of ammunition before, ever.

I buy .223 and .22 frequently. first time at Freds, but the clerk and the manager both insisted the ATF told them that it's pistol food. evidentally the ATF is holding out on Wal Mart, and Sportsmen's Warehouse, and every local gun store from here to Missoula that I've purchased ammo at.

I only have one more month until I'm 21, still I can't believe this happened, so I'll send a politely written request to FM corporate asking them to review that policy, but it looks like I'll have no choice but the spend my money at their competitors stores.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    I buy my ammo online ...

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    My sarcastic side wants to say you should show them a picture of a .22 rifle (or carry one in if its legal) and ask "is this a pistol or a rifle? I can't tell?"

Wait a minute!

There's a bigger part to this story...

FRED Myers actually has 22lr in stock?

....Sent from hell....
    Last edited by spikedzombies; 08-17-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spikedzombies View Post
    Wait a minute!

There's a bigger part to this story...

FRED Myers actually has 22lr in stock?

....Sent from hell....
    Last three boxes

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Last three boxes
    Eric,
    Go online and print out the ATF decision on the sale of ammunition that can be used in either pistol or rifle. Take that in with you.

The caveat is Freddy's is a business and they have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose.
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 08-18-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Had this issue I was 19 at Academy. I printed out the ATF rules, disassembled my Marlin model 60 and took it's stock in to the store! !
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Q: May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old?
    Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/lice...ble-ammo-sales
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mark-in-texas View Post
    Had this issue I was 19 at Academy. I printed out the ATF rules, disassembled my Marlin model 60 and took it's stock in to the store! !
    A guy could still say: well, this still does not mean that you don't own a 22 pistol ... no sale!

They probably don't even have an ATF license. None is required for selling ammo, and they don't sell guns, so . . .

Q: Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition?

No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.
    [18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    [h=6]They probably don't even have an ATF license. None is required for selling ammo, and they don't sell guns, so . . .[U]
    Our local Fred's has a Full gun counter

NRA Member

If asked if 22lr ammo is for pistol or rifle I tell them a machine gun. That gets strange looks on their face and haven't been refused a sale yet.

One time at the WalMart in Omak I picked up a few boxes of .22 and when I got to the counter the checker says "is this for a rifle or a pistol/" I said it could be used for either, Why? Checker says: "I don't know, it is just that the screen asks the question and will not go on until I answer it." I'm sure if I said pistol the gal would have had a second screen asking for ID (I am over 65. WalMart is the only place I have been asked for ID to buy beer in over 40 years.)

So as these sales screens are set up by corporate, it may be similar at Freddy's. Freddy's does sell firearms, but not in every store. A letter to corporate would probably be in order, and will probably solve the problem. Just like WalMart, at Freddy's local managers are grunts that draw a salary instead of OT.