Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR: Open-Carry March to Celebrate Second Amendment Rights

Centurion

AR: Open-Carry March to Celebrate Second Amendment Rights

Steve Jones, a prominent Second Amendment writer and activist has organized an open carry march to celebrate the change in Arkansas law that goes into effect on August 16th. The march is scheduled for 24 August. From 5Newsonline:

The “celebration walk” is set to begin at 9 a.m. in Ben Geren Park. Twelve people have been invited to participate, Jones said, since a larger number would have required a permit.

Jones said the participants will begin in the park with their handguns concealed, but then will openly carry the firearms once the group reaches the street. He said the participants will walk about a mile, then turn around and return to the park. The group has received approval from law enforcement authorities to conduct the event, Jones said.]

Jones said the walk also is designed to show support for the belief among gun-rights advocates that a state law passed this year, Act 746, allows for handguns to be carried openly. The law takes effect Friday (Aug. 16).

Attorney General Dustin McDaniel issued an opinion last month stating the act does not allow Arkansans to carry handguns openly.

AG McDaniel's opinion is just an opinion, though it carries more weight than an ordinary persons. Steve Jones does a fair job in dissecting the opinion.

It is clear that McDaniel is hostile to the idea of open carry. He completely discounts the most important reform in the law.

The previous law made it illegal to carry a weapon for the purpose of using it against another person. It did not matter if the use was legitimate or not. The reform of the law fixed that by making it illegal to carry a weapon with the intent of using it unlawfully.

Arkansas is a Second Amendment friendly state, and I think it unlikely that the legislators will see fit to change the law back to the position it was before.

Still, strange things can happen in a state that elected and reelected Bill Clinton.

©2013 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2013/08...te-second.html

Re: AR: Open-Carry March to Celebrate Second Amendment Rights

Too bad this isn't going to be in Little Rock. I'd like to see how it unfolds.

Banned
    Life is a journey ...

I'll try to post pictures
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Read a comment somewhere that "Open carry is illegal in AR and it will always be illegal."

Strange how some people form opinions that have little to no basis in fact.

OC is the wave of the future - it is what is happening.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Re: AR: Open-Carry March to Celebrate Second Amendment Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Read a comment somewhere that "Open carry is illegal in AR and it will always be illegal."

Strange how some people form opinions that have little to no basis in fact.

OC is the wave of the future - it is what is happening.
    I'll believe that if/when Florida reclaims it. Perks for concealed carry license holders rules the day in the south.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I'll believe that if/when Florida reclaims it. Perks for concealed carry license holders rules the day in the south.
    I'm all for giving permit holders all of the perks they want and then some.......................................just want non-license holders to have the same benefits
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

agree

I'm all for giving permit holders all of the perks they want and then some.......................................just want non-license holders to have the same benefits
    agree

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

I have sent an email to my County Sheriff what will I be charged with if I were to open carry a firearm, knife, or club. It's all in the same law

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assemb...cts/Act746.pdf

Front page of FOX News today.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...light-new-law/

Hoping you guys have a good turnout. You definitely have the publicity on this!!
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Graduated from Greenwood, just south of Forth Smith. Might have to see if the wife wants to take a drive to my old stomping grounds and show support for those making the march.

Something to consider

Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    Front page of FOX News today.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...light-new-law/

Hoping you guys have a good turnout. You definitely have the publicity on this!!
    Quote Originally Posted by richmc View Post
    Graduated from Greenwood, just south of Forth Smith. Might have to see if the wife wants to take a drive to my old stomping grounds and show support for those making the march.
    From the OP:

Twelve people have been invited to participate, Jones said, since a larger number would have required a permit.

I wasn't talking about joining the march. Just showing up at the park to show support for those that are in the march. Am very sure I would not be the only one.

Centurion

How about a report on the march?

Quote Originally Posted by richmc View Post
    I wasn't talking about joining the march. Just showing up at the park to show support for those that are in the march. Am very sure I would not be the only one.
    A report and pictures would be nice.

Activist Member
    From the OP:

Twelve people have been invited to participate, Jones said, since a larger number would have required a permit.
    If they INVITED more than twelve people it would require a permit. If people show up on their own without an invitation then nobody can stop them. As long as they were not officially invited the march is fine.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Packer Fan I noticed a AR State Police car driving by in one of your photos. Didn't I read somewhere that a AR State Police spokesperson stated that ACT 746 didn't legalize OC and they would act accordingly with arrest as before ACT 746 going into effect. Guess maybe the trooper decided there were to many to arrest and place in his car.

Photos

Error message: This content is currently unavailable

URL works fine on my machine.

From the OP:

And please explain how you need a permit to 'peaceably assemble'...
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    And please explain how you need a permit to 'peaceably assemble'...
    That's what I wondered, the City of Port Orchard where I live only requires permits if you want to shut down a city street or if it's a for-profit event. a group of 40 people getting together on public land and not obstructing others with no permanent structures or vendors requires no permit at all. at least according to what the city clerk told me....

if this even was just a bunch of people going on a walk and not requiring a street shut down or for profit vendors there should not have been any need for a permit at all.... well maybe there's a legal need in that city, but the constitutional side of me says the government shouldn't require it for a simple assembly involving no one obstructing streets or sidewalks.

They ended up having 40 people according to the news.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

OK

so I don't know where the number "12" came from. but this is the Fort Smith City Code that I think is most applicable

Ch 24 Article VI 24-201
    Permit required. Any person desiring to conduct or sponsor a parade, athletic event, or other special event in the city shall first obtain a special event permit. A special event permit is not required for the following:
    (1)
    Funeral processions;
    (2)
    Parades involving a total of forty (40) or fewer pedestrians marching along a parade route which is restricted to marching on sidewalks, and crossing streets only at pedestrian crosswalks in accordance with traffic regulations and controls. Pedestrians participating in the parade shall cross crosswalks in units of fifteen (15) or less, and shall allow vehicles to pass between each unit.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Open carry walk invitations

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    so I don't know where the number "12" came from. but this is the Fort Smith City Code that I think is most applicable

Ch 24 Article VI 24-201
    I held the number to 12 to keep it manageable. I knew what the code said about having less than 40, and originally thought about inviting 30, but I realized it would balloon to over 100. That might have become unmanageable due to parking, etc. That would shut down things and I didn't need that. The final number was close to or over 40.

I was also concerned about people attempting to sabotage this thing somehow. We have many "gun guys" that oppose this law, mostly because they will be out of money if CHCL permit requests drop. I wanted a peaceful, safe group of people to prove a point and to show the citizens of Arkansas how we can exercise our rights and be responsible.

It all worked out good.

Quote Originally Posted by 9026543 View Post
    Packer Fan I noticed a AR State Police car driving by in one of your photos. Didn't I read somewhere that a AR State Police spokesperson stated that ACT 746 didn't legalize OC and they would act accordingly with arrest as before ACT 746 going into effect. Guess maybe the trooper decided there were to many to arrest and place in his car.
    That was the threat.

It was a woman officer.

She honestly didn't look like she even cared. I tried to make eye contact but she just kept looking forward as if she was just on a drive.

But the thought going through my head was, "look no arrests."

Error message: This content is currently unavailable
    try again I opened it to the public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast