Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26

    Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

    I was hoping to get some opinions on the following issue.

    I live about 30 miles from where I work. I also live far enough away from the grocery store and every other typical establishment that I like to stop on my way home to shop if I need something.

    The issue I'm facing is that I work on a military base and, as we all know, I am banned from possessing my gun on base. There is a way, however, that I may be allowed to have my gun on base and that is if I register it at the pass and ID office.

    Obviously, I don't like this infringement in the slightest but I also don't like having to leave my gun at home every day.

    I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on this matter.

    FYI, you can tell which way I lean on the matter since I haven't yet submitted to their demands so that I may exercise my right :-/


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Aceman7496; 08-18-2013 at 02:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Park outside the base and keep your gun in the car?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    What base is this? I don't know of one that allows carry, even when registered. Here at Wright-Patt, you can't. The only registration of firearms is for those who live on base and keep a gun in their house or for those who live in the dorms and keep a gun in the armory. However, with very few, very specific exceptions, you can't even have a gun in the car with you, let alone carry it.

    It is my understanding that all installations were working towards a unified policy similar to the one above.

    I, too, work on base and am disarmed from the moment I leave for work in the morning until I get home. I also shop primarily on base, so shopping trips are sans means of defense.

    Of course, while at work, I am surrounded by firearms of all sorts. Should an active shooter come in, I am supposed to run and hide. Loading up one of the guns and returning fire, possibly saving my life and the lives of others would cost me my job.

    What to do...what to do?

    Back to the titular question: If I could carry to and from work, I'd register. Unfortunately, even that is not an option for me.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    In the recent thread in the Social Lounge on polygraph threats, someone said, "you don't need that job." That may be the issue here, too, how specialized is the need for a particular employ? A surgeon is going to have to comply with his hospitals' demands, however unrighteous they may be. A 'burger-flipper or barista is not locked into a particular employer.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,192
    Leaving it off base might be an option know anybody? a friendly gun store? other base employee that lives near by? friend?

    Lucky for me the base that I did a lot of work on had a LEO exemption and I could carry there. Didn't hurt that we also had the base police in some of are firearm and other LEO classes.

    This is a tough one, good luck in finding a solution.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26

    Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    What base is this? I don't know of one that allows carry, even when registered. Here at Wright-Patt, you can't. The only registration of firearms is for those who live on base and keep a gun in their house or for those who live in the dorms and keep a gun in the armory. However, with very few, very specific exceptions, you can't even have a gun in the car with you, let alone carry it.

    It is my understanding that all installations were working towards a unified policy similar to the one above.

    I, too, work on base and am disarmed from the moment I leave for work in the morning until I get home. I also shop primarily on base, so shopping trips are sans means of defense.

    Of course, while at work, I am surrounded by firearms of all sorts. Should an active shooter come in, I am supposed to run and hide. Loading up one of the guns and returning fire, possibly saving my life and the lives of others would cost me my job.

    What to do...what to do?

    Back to the titular question: If I could carry to and from work, I'd register. Unfortunately, even that is not an option for me.
    I have edited my post. I didn't mean to say carry, only that I could bring it on base.

    The stipulation may be that I must drop it off at the armory every time I bring it on and then pick it up on my way out. I don't have all of the details and was just wondering what people thought of the registration requirement. If there is a stipulation that I must keep my weapon at the armory, then I certainly won't be allowing that. I don't trust them to not damage it.

    To answer your question, I work at Cherry Point in Havelock, NC. It's a Marine Corps Air Station.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26

    Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Park outside the base and keep your gun in the car?
    Not really an option, no.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26

    Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Leaving it off base might be an option know anybody? a friendly gun store? other base employee that lives near by? friend?

    Lucky for me the base that I did a lot of work on had a LEO exemption and I could carry there. Didn't hurt that we also had the base police in some of are firearm and other LEO classes.

    This is a tough one, good luck in finding a solution.
    I wish it were as easy as having someone I trust nearby to drop it off with. Unfortunately,I don't. Even if I did have a trusted LGS, they aren't open early enough.

    Also, I don't have any LEO background and don't ever plan on it. So even if CP had that exemption, it wouldn't work for me.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    26

    Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    In the recent thread in the Social Lounge on polygraph threats, someone said, "you don't need that job." That may be the issue here, too, how specialized is the need for a particular employ? A surgeon is going to have to comply with his hospitals' demands, however unrighteous they may be. A 'burger-flipper or barista is not locked into a particular employer.
    I'm an engineer, which is pretty restrictive to begin with. Where I live, I'm not aware a single other reasonable option, let alone one that I would enjoy as much as my current job.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    Not really an option, no.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4y8i7amvkw_b


    sure it is ... why not?

  11. #11
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    What about one of those "fingerprint" lock boxes that some people use under their beds? If you can find one that fits under your passenger seat, - - -.
    Or maybe you can stop before getting on base and lock it in the box in your trunk? Just an idea.
    I put mine in a case and then put it between chains in the chain box. Never had a MP go through my chains, they just looked in the box. Marine bases never bothered to stop me at all. If OP has a sticker he should not be getting stopped at all coming and going on base.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    What about one of those "fingerprint" lock boxes that some people use under their beds? If you can find one that fits under your passenger seat, - - -.
    Or maybe you can stop before getting on base and lock it in the box in your trunk? Just an idea.
    On every base I know, with very few, very specific exceptions, it is a violation of base regulations to have a gun in your car, no matter how it is secured. Violating base regulations regarding firearms is a federal crime, punishable by imprisonment, a fine, or both--not to mention the loss of the RKBA.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I put mine in a case and then put it between chains in the chain box. Never had a MP go through my chains, they just looked in the box. Marine bases never bothered to stop me at all. If OP has a sticker he should not be getting stopped at all coming and going on base.
    All vehicles on a military installation are subject to search, no consent necessary. I would not count on luck or laziness. All it takes is one military cop taking his job seriously, and the consequences mentioned in my post above become a real possibility.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I used to live off-base and hopped over the bases' super effective perimeter fence and ride in from there...heck, anyone with a PIZZA logo gets waived through...

    But you cannot bring the gun onto a military bases, even locked up. Nuclear missiles OK, but not a gun.

    The military is so full of it. Hence my refusal to re-up. I told my commander that I cannot serve in a socialistic society any more when they asked me to re-up. He was pissed. Better be pissed off than pissed on I guess.

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I used to live off-base and hopped over the bases' super effective perimeter fence and ride in from there...heck, anyone with a PIZZA logo gets waived through...

    But you cannot bring the gun onto a military bases, even locked up. Nuclear missiles OK, but not a gun.

    The military is so full of it. Hence my refusal to re-up. I told my commander that I cannot serve in a socialistic society any more when they asked me to re-up. He was pissed. Better be pissed off than pissed on I guess.
    I have 30 years of coming and going on different military bases, never once was my vehicle thoroughly searched. Including Wright Patterson. Most times waved through, but in the truck they looked under the hood, and in the boxes. On Scott AFB I was allowed to carry my own duty weapon on and off duty on the base, same for Grissom.

    Rules may have changed but MP's did need consent to search, a refusal meant being turned away from the gate. I was never searched or even looked at on Marine bases, or Navy bases. I was on Boca Chica weekly without being searched, same for the other bases in Key West. Civilians do not give up their rights just because they are on a military base.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Any vehicle on a military installation is subject to search. Once you are at the gate, you are already on the installation. Someone without an affiliation to the military might be able to get away with refusing a search and simply being turned away. However, if a person assigned to the base were to refuse a search, there would be hell to pay.

    The fact of the matter is that having a firearm in your car, in a way that violates base regulations (it almost always will), is a federal crime. No one here should be encouraging anyone to commit a federal crime--even if you think you know a way to get away with it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Randy210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Killeen/Fort Hood, Texas
    Posts
    1

    No carry on post

    I was a civilian working on post with the same issue. for years it was the only thing I hated about the job.
    having to go straight home to pick up my firearm after work before going anywhere else.
    and this is on Fort Hood of all places. I was caught once carrying a loaded firearm at the gate, I was off duty and on my way to the range. Also I was not made aware of the laws before hand. The MPs reactions were priceless but i did not think I had anything to hide, I was registered and had a CHL. It was clear I was hopelessly ignorant of the situation and they ended up pretty cool about it. Fact is I carried for months prior to that day. The areas immediately surrounding the base are not so hospitable after dark so carrying is a must and I quit my govmnt job.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Would I Register the Gun?

    Maybe not that particular gun.

    I might register one the government already knows about--bought from a licensed dealer. Or, maybe buy a Keltec or something cheap/used through a dealer, and register that on base.

    Then, when that job is over, transfer it back to a dealer and keep the paperwork to prove it was sold.

    Or, report it as lost in a tragic boating accident.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    It is not merely a matter of registering the firearm. If the individual were given permission to use the armory, any firearm brought on base would have to be transported there immediately upon arriving on base, picked up at the end of the day, and immediately transported off the base. You can't simply register one firearm with the intent of using another. Whatever firearm you bring on base, you must put in the custody of the military police while you are on the base.

  21. #21
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    To avoid answering a question with a question, I'll say yeah, probably.


    But if this is how you feel, and if you feel this strongly about it, why the hell do you work for the government

  22. #22
    Regular Member shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Fountain CO
    Posts
    58

    Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

    eye95 is correct. When I travel to home station for drill weekends and annual training, I have to notify the sentry that I have a registered personally owned weapon that I am transporting to the armory. I do stop prior to arrival of the installation and place my handgun and magazines in separate locked cases. I can check out and in whenever I leave/return base but under no circumstance can I access the contents of the cases until out of the gate. I actually used to call a day ahead to let them know I was arriving but I don't anymore.

    Not all bases provide this, I'm fortunate the installation commander provides the service. On top of that, I'm not required to check back in at the maximum 72-hour point from removal from armory, since they consider me as transiting.

    And to OP ... NO CARRY. Open or concealed. Transporting of firearms for non-housing residents varies installation to installation, as it is left to commander's discretion, so always check with the location before attempting to do so and if you have the luxury of using the armory, know the shift change times to save a lot of waiting.

  23. #23
    Regular Member shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Fountain CO
    Posts
    58

    Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?

    Just saw OP edited and wasn't looking to carry. My bad and I can't figure out tapatalk to allow me to make an edit.

  24. #24
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Thread: Requirements to carry to work - would you comply?


    .....pay check.....no pay check.....pay check.....no pay check.....pay check.....no pay check.....pay check.....no pay check.....

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman7496 View Post
    I'm an engineer, which is pretty restrictive to begin with. Where I live, I'm not aware a single other reasonable option, let alone one that I would enjoy as much as my current job.
    Fortunately I did not take up a gun until after I retired.

    I used to service strategic assets at NWS Charleston and worked on the design and testing of the MTS's there (now NNPTC/NPTU). As prior enlisted I had considered getting my .17 Remington 700 on base, but thought better of it.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •