• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McGinn, WA CeaseFire to launch 'Gun Free Zone' program

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Ceasefire said:
...“We know this won’t stop someone determined to cause violence, ..."

images

The sign said Ceasefire and City of Seattle's program. Uh, is that legal?

Alpine

MAC702,

I feel your pain, they admit openly that it won't stop someone intent on causing violence so the ONLY purpose is to disarm more victims for when the animals want to come slaughter everyone. Disgusting.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
MAC702,

I feel your pain, they admit openly that it won't stop someone intent on causing violence so the ONLY purpose is to disarm more victims for when the animals want to come slaughter everyone. Disgusting.

So mayor McCheese is openly conspiring with Cease Fire Wa to deny a constitutional right to citizens of Seattle?

zaltekk

Hope we can get a full list so I can be sure never to set foot there again.

The second article link that I just added to the original post lists some of the initial adopters:
  • Cafe Racer
  • Neumos
  • Oddfellows Cafe & Bar
  • Sweatbox Yoga
  • Cupcake Royale

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So mayor McCheese is openly conspiring with Cease Fire Wa to deny a constitutional right to citizens of Seattle?

Conspiring, yes, and probably illegally using the office of the mayor to do it. But to what Constitutional right are you referring? These restrictions are only going to be on private property, right?

Difdi

So, what force of law does such signage have in Washington exactly?

If you carry despite such a sign, can police arrest you for trespass immediately, or only after you refuse to leave when an employee tells you to?

As I understand the law, these signs change nothing.

Freedom1Man

So, what force of law does such signage have in Washington exactly?

If you carry despite such a sign, can police arrest you for trespass immediately, or only after you refuse to leave when an employee tells you to?

As I understand the law, these signs change nothing.

The signs have no legal effect.

EMNofSeattle

The signs have no legal effect.

I'm not willing to go that far until I see case law.

Rcw 9A.52.090

(2) The premises were at the time open to members of the public and the actor complied with all lawful conditions imposed on access to or remaining in the premises;

This is part of a defense to being charged with trespass. If did not comply with all entry conditions then have you entered unlawfully? If the business owner communicates to you via sign that your gun is not welcome then I think entering with your gun is a textbook definition of trespass since you disregarded lawful conditions imposed on access to said property.

Now it's unlikely a DA will ever charge that. Still just because we don't have a specific law empowering signs, the sign still would put a reasonable person on notice that the behavior in question is prohibited on their premises.

Why would you want to spend money at such a place anyway?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In my state, a sign does not give legal notice, unless on a government building. Hopefully it is the same for you guys.

Dave Workman

I'm not willing to go that far until I see case law.

Rcw 9A.52.090

This is part of a defense to being charged with trespass. If did not comply with all entry conditions then have you entered unlawfully? If the business owner communicates to you via sign that your gun is not welcome then I think entering with your gun is a textbook definition of trespass since you disregarded lawful conditions imposed on access to said property.

Now it's unlikely a DA will ever charge that. Still just because we don't have a specific law empowering signs, the sign still would put a reasonable person on notice that the behavior in question is prohibited on their premises.

Why would you want to spend money at such a place anyway?

Bravo! move to the head of the class on trespass law, as this is a genuine potential problem.

‘Gun free zone’bigotry project comes to Seattle

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-free-zone-effort-launched-seattle

Last edited:

1911er

A quote from Ralph Fakeatelli " “We know this won’t stop someone determined to cause violence"

Why waste the city money on something that won't work by there own admission. Lets hear it for mayor McCheese

Last edited:

papa bear

Conspiring, yes, and probably illegally using the office of the mayor to do it. But to what Constitutional right are you referring? These restrictions are only going to be on private property, right?

No this is not for "Private Property", but for business. Also, there are no property rights in the US

mikeyb

Bravo, Capitol Hill. :banghead:

Not like I shop up there anyways, so it won't affect me outside of the emotional outrage. Anyone have any "No Guns = No $" biz cards to hand out?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I did notice the mayor bypassed his own city council over this complete waste of money. If they are aware this "event" will make no difference in reducing crime or violence, and they just want to "start conversation", why the assault on the integrity of Legally Armed Citizens? If a personal vendetta, as with mr fascistelli, why is the mayor using public funds?
More to ask would be, Why vote for this fool?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
The signs are already working. I know if I ever see a business anywhere that has one of these signs, or something similar they won't get my money.