Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC at the Ashland Library: "He frightened me."

OC at the Ashland Library: "He frightened me."

Golly, a unicorn sighting:

Men with guns frighten her
    I just don’t get it and I’ve given up trying. I’ve finally decided that I will never understand the mindset of those who are in love with their guns. The gun culture prevalent in America is beyond reason and those of us who do not think that guns should be allowed in public areas are losing our sense of well-being and feel that our liberties are being taken from us.

Recently in friendly Ashland, a man holding the hands of two young girls, approximately 5 to 8 years old, emerged from our public library. On his hip was a gun. I wanted to ask why he thought he needed a gun in Ashland and why he would have it on him when accompanying two young girls, but there was no way I was going to approach him. He frightened me.

Even more disturbing is that this is the second time this summer I have encountered a child, again a young girl about age 5, and a man with a gun on his hip. The other time it was in the McDonald’s on Parham near Three Chopt Road. My 4-year-old granddaughter was with me and she wanted to know if the man was going to hurt some one. How sad that she even asked this.

Are these guys doing this because they can and they dare anyone to say anything to them about it? Is this the return of the Wild West? It is a sad and disturbing commentary on our times.

Ann Marie Martin. Ashland
    So, basically she's disturbed. At least there was no finger-pointing.
    Last edited by Repeater; 08-19-2013 at 04:37 PM.

My 4-year-old granddaughter was with me and she wanted to know if the man was going to hurt some one. How sad that she even asked this.
    How sad that she is being taught that men with guns are out to hurt people.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    That's Ashland...Home of brain dead soccer mom's.

Grapeshot had a fellow literally run up to him and say "You can't carry that here. I know, I'm a lawyer" then literally run off.

Can we say "No one home" A common problem in the new Hanover, but Ashland is idiot central.

Even more disturbing is that this is the second time this summer I have encountered a child, again a young girl about age 5, and a man with a gun on his hip. The other time it was in the McDonald’s on Parham near Three Chopt Road. My 4-year-old granddaughter was with me and she wanted to know if the man was going to hurt some one. How sad that she even asked this.
    Hey, I'm about 95% sure that was me!

I was there a few weeks ago, and my wife (who is very pregnant at the moment) had to use their facilities. My daughter and I grabbed a snack while we were waiting.

It's unfortunate she didn't speak up - and that she apparently cares so little for her granddaughter that she doesn't have the necessary tools to defend her if the need arose

Ashland

Spend more time in Ashland than at home, no problems in 8 years. Return to wild west, thought we were already there reading the weekends headlines.

Funny how we are so scarry with our wives,babies and children........BOO!
    Last edited by thedevilrobyjohn; 08-19-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
    If you can not move at 1100 fps, then pass me by.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    Thanks. I fixed it, too. Incidentally, the first time I tried posting this morning, I rec'd a big SERVER ERROR report. So, I waited and tried again. Maybe the link got garbled.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Grapeshot had a fellow literally run up to him and say "You can't carry that here. I know, I'm a lawyer" then literally run off.

Can we say "No one home" A common problem in the new Hanover, but Ashland is idiot central.
    Oh man, have you seen the comments at the bottom? Some are defending "Ann Marie" like this woman:
    Matthew Kimball · Chesterfield, Virginia
    Anne Marie, it's those you don't see that you may have to worry about.... Just goes to show how ignorant folks are about guns. Not to mention the fault the media plays in creating these frightened folks...

Yesterday at 4:31am

Ginger Walters · Top Commenter · Old Dominion University
    Matthew Kimball
    Statistically speaking, Anne Marie is the smart one, since statistics show that people are many times more likely to be killed or injured by gun violence if they have a gun in the home, which presumably includes carrying one on his/her person. While it's true that many gun owners are responsible, many more are not. Once again statistics show that compared to other similar countries, we have a huge gun problem. Per the CDC:

* A child or teen dies or is injured from guns every 30 minutes.

* Guns are the second leading cause of death among children and teens ages 1 to 19, and the number one cause among black children and teens.

* Since 1963, three times more children and teens have died from guns on American soil than U.S. soldiers killed in action in wars abroad.

* U.S. children and teens are 17 times more likely to die from a gun than their peers in 25 other high-income countries combined.

Those are some pretty grim statistics. Looks like Anne Marie has plenty to be frightened about, thanks to hoohas that feel a need to run around with firearms strapped to their hips.

Yesterday at 5:34am
    Pretty desperate when she feels the need to quote from the CDC.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Yep - that was at the Strawberry Festival - good times never to be forgotten
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Yep - that was at the Strawberry Festival - good times never to be forgotten

That one is especially memorable.

He reminded me of Louis in Ghostbusters...after being possessed, running up to the horse asking if he's the keymaster, then running off screaming Look for the sign, all prisoners will be released.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Oh man, have you seen the comments at the bottom? Some are defending "Ann Marie" like this woman:

Pretty desperate when she feels the need to quote from the CDC.
    I'm surprised anybody is still quoting those CDC figures. That one about children 1-19 years old was debunked years ago. 18 and 19 year olds are not children, and they're not getting hurt in accidents--gang related stuff.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I just got a couple shots in at her expense.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Banned

We are everywhere GrandMa Annie ... run away run away !!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Funny letter to the editor ....

Most disturbing is that someone responsible for the education and safety of a child doesn't see the fault it her own thinking. She buys into the myths and teaches fear of law abiding people.

Here are the facts:
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/08/m...make-us-safer/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-20-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: link fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Most disturbing is that someone responsible for the education and safety of a child doesn't see the fault it her own thinking. She buys into the myths and teaches fear of law abiding people.

Here are the facts:
    http://http://www.lewrockwell.com/20...make-us-safer/
    Fixed the link for ya:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/08/m...make-us-safer/

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    Much appreciate it - I should know better than to not confirm

It's a little funny...I read a good number of the comments, and I couldn't help but thinking a couple things. Rememberr when we thought people that had cell phones were Pompous jerks. Always on them, and pretty much yelling into them how important they thought they were? Pretty common to see them today though...Almost everyone has one. Seeing one on their hip is pretty innocuous right? Thing is, until you need it, the handgun on my hip is no more of a threat then that cell phone. If you think about it, I don't play with my gun, and see what cool ringtones, and ring backs, and all that when I get bored in a McDonalds. That is offensive to me. Wish a cop would hassle them over that...
    And the couple of guys that talk about the government regulating use of....blah, blah, blah...I don't need any more government regulations. I think we have enough...
    Sorry if you are offended. Sorry if the big country boy with a gun scares you. But as I've seen on here....Yes, It's loaded, it's legal, and damn it, it's my perogative..
    Rant off...
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Sadly this is not unusual. The spousal unit and I used to get pizza once a week at a now-closed family restaurant in Falls Church. During one such outing we spotted and talked to one of our neighbors and his mother as we waited for our meal. Shortly thereafter they stopped coming to the restaurant because my Glock "frightened" the mother; this despite the fact that the pistol never left my holster. It amazes me that some people make it through the day without ever once emitting a discernible bleat.

One of my supervisors from my last company and I were talking one day and I mentioned that I was going to a VCDL meeting and dinner afterwards. When I told him that most of us would be open carrying in the Annandale Fuddruckers, he was aghast. He told me that if he ever walked into a restaurant that had a group of people that were open carrying that would quickly leave. This guy was a gun owner himself. I tried to talk to him about his phobia, but quickly realized that he was a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by speed41ae View Post
    One of my supervisors from my last company and I were talking one day and I mentioned that I was going to a VCDL meeting and dinner afterwards. When I told him that most of us would be open carrying in the Annandale Fuddruckers, he was aghast. He told me that if he ever walked into a restaurant that had a group of people that were open carrying that would quickly leave. This guy was a gun owner himself. I tried to talk to him about his phobia, but quickly realized that he was a lost cause.
    Funny thing is that if they had all been CCing he'd have had no problem with it - course he wouldn't have known, but still it is as we used to say, "the same difference".

Angry

Funny thing is that if they had all been CCing he'd have had no problem with it - course he wouldn't have known, but still it is as we used to say, "the same difference".
    I finally had the long-awaited pleasure of hearing Philip opine about "Constitutional Carry" in Virginia and state, quite explicitly, that it is beyond ridiculous that a firearm is somehow more or less dangerous dependent immediately upon the mode of carry.

Sure, I guess some people might "feel" safer not seeing a gun or making the assumption that a a gun unseen is either:

A) a "safe" gun, or
    B) a permitted gun.

Of course, the argument for permits by those fringe lunatics who "grew up around guns all their lives but just don't think anybody needs one on them all the time" is that a permit holder has gone through some sort of state-sanctioned safety course. They assume then, that everyone who has not taken such a course is a sarsaparilla away from offing someone for looking at him the wrong way.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Isn't it strange how the same people, who get a case of the vapors at the mere sight of a holstered firearm, then leave and blithely hop into a motor vehicle, in which their probability of death or serious injury is far greater? Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I finally had the long-awaited pleasure of hearing Philip opine about "Constitutional Carry" in Virginia and state, quite explicitly, that it is beyond ridiculous that a firearm is somehow more or less dangerous dependent immediately upon the mode of carry.

Sure, I guess some people might "feel" safer not seeing a gun or making the assumption that a a gun unseen is either:

A) a "safe" gun, or
    B) a permitted gun, or
    C) It's not there.

Of course, the argument for permits by those fringe lunatics who "grew up around guns all their lives but just don't think anybody needs one on them all the time" is that a permit holder has gone through some sort of state-sanctioned safety course. They assume then, that everyone who has not taken such a course is a sarsaparilla away from offing someone for looking at him the wrong way.
    I think the third alternative is more likely.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

OC at the Ashland Library: "He frightened me."

First and foremost- thank you to the OCers she witnessed in Ashland.

This article is disheartening to read. The instances in which she witnessed open carry were the most "unscary" and docile of situations. It's disheartening because if under those circumstances she cannot find value or at least understanding for why we exercise our constitutional rights, it makes me realize our rights are more precarious than I've thought, and it adds more uncertainty as to if those 2A rights will be further infringed in years to come.

I respect the opinion of those who disagree with 2A but have a neutral opinion on the exercise of the right. Because at least they understand the value of maintaining constitutional rights.

At the end of the day- it's a global world. Of you're that uncomfortable with the Bill of Rights then denounce your citizenship and move to a country that outlaws firearms, like Mexico. I'm sure you'll be much more secure there.
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SAvage410 View Post
    It amazes me that some people make it through the day without ever once emitting a discernible bleat.
    Now that's a keeper!

TFred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast