• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Ashland Library: "He frightened me."

Repeater

Golly, a unicorn sighting:

Men with guns frighten her
I just don’t get it and I’ve given up trying. I’ve finally decided that I will never understand the mindset of those who are in love with their guns. The gun culture prevalent in America is beyond reason and those of us who do not think that guns should be allowed in public areas are losing our sense of well-being and feel that our liberties are being taken from us.

Recently in friendly Ashland, a man holding the hands of two young girls, approximately 5 to 8 years old, emerged from our public library. On his hip was a gun. I wanted to ask why he thought he needed a gun in Ashland and why he would have it on him when accompanying two young girls, but there was no way I was going to approach him. He frightened me.

Even more disturbing is that this is the second time this summer I have encountered a child, again a young girl about age 5, and a man with a gun on his hip. The other time it was in the McDonald’s on Parham near Three Chopt Road. My 4-year-old granddaughter was with me and she wanted to know if the man was going to hurt some one. How sad that she even asked this.

Are these guys doing this because they can and they dare anyone to say anything to them about it? Is this the return of the Wild West? It is a sad and disturbing commentary on our times.

Ann Marie Martin. Ashland

So, basically she's disturbed. At least there was no finger-pointing.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

My 4-year-old granddaughter was with me and she wanted to know if the man was going to hurt some one. How sad that she even asked this.
How sad that she is being taught that men with guns are out to hurt people.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's Ashland...Home of brain dead soccer mom's.

Grapeshot had a fellow literally run up to him and say "You can't carry that here. I know, I'm a lawyer" then literally run off.

Can we say "No one home" A common problem in the new Hanover, but Ashland is idiot central.

Lyndsy Simon

Even more disturbing is that this is the second time this summer I have encountered a child, again a young girl about age 5, and a man with a gun on his hip. The other time it was in the McDonald’s on Parham near Three Chopt Road. My 4-year-old granddaughter was with me and she wanted to know if the man was going to hurt some one. How sad that she even asked this.

Hey, I'm about 95% sure that was me!

I was there a few weeks ago, and my wife (who is very pregnant at the moment) had to use their facilities. My daughter and I grabbed a snack while we were waiting.

It's unfortunate she didn't speak up - and that she apparently cares so little for her granddaughter that she doesn't have the necessary tools to defend her if the need arose :(

thedevilrobyjohn

Ashland

Spend more time in Ashland than at home, no problems in 8 years. Return to wild west, thought we were already there reading the weekends headlines.

Funny how we are so scarry with our wives,babies and children........BOO!

Last edited:

Repeater

Grapeshot had a fellow literally run up to him and say "You can't carry that here. I know, I'm a lawyer" then literally run off.

Can we say "No one home" A common problem in the new Hanover, but Ashland is idiot central.

Oh man, have you seen the comments at the bottom? Some are defending "Ann Marie" like this woman:
Matthew Kimball · Chesterfield, Virginia
Anne Marie, it's those you don't see that you may have to worry about.... Just goes to show how ignorant folks are about guns. Not to mention the fault the media plays in creating these frightened folks...

Yesterday at 4:31am

Ginger Walters · Top Commenter · Old Dominion University
Matthew Kimball
Statistically speaking, Anne Marie is the smart one, since statistics show that people are many times more likely to be killed or injured by gun violence if they have a gun in the home, which presumably includes carrying one on his/her person. While it's true that many gun owners are responsible, many more are not. Once again statistics show that compared to other similar countries, we have a huge gun problem. Per the CDC:

* A child or teen dies or is injured from guns every 30 minutes.

* Guns are the second leading cause of death among children and teens ages 1 to 19, and the number one cause among black children and teens.

* Since 1963, three times more children and teens have died from guns on American soil than U.S. soldiers killed in action in wars abroad.

* U.S. children and teens are 17 times more likely to die from a gun than their peers in 25 other high-income countries combined.

Those are some pretty grim statistics. Looks like Anne Marie has plenty to be frightened about, thanks to hoohas that feel a need to run around with firearms strapped to their hips.

Yesterday at 5:34am

Pretty desperate when she feels the need to quote from the CDC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Yep - that was at the Strawberry Festival - good times never to be forgotten :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yep - that was at the Strawberry Festival - good times never to be forgotten :)

That one is especially memorable.

He reminded me of Louis in Ghostbusters...after being possessed, running up to the horse asking if he's the keymaster, then running off screaming Look for the sign, all prisoners will be released.:lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh man, have you seen the comments at the bottom? Some are defending "Ann Marie" like this woman:

Pretty desperate when she feels the need to quote from the CDC.

I'm surprised anybody is still quoting those CDC figures. That one about children 1-19 years old was debunked years ago. 18 and 19 year olds are not children, and they're not getting hurt in accidents--gang related stuff.

davidmcbeth

Banned

We are everywhere GrandMa Annie ... run away run away !!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Funny letter to the editor ....

independence

Red Dawg

It's a little funny...I read a good number of the comments, and I couldn't help but thinking a couple things. Rememberr when we thought people that had cell phones were Pompous jerks. Always on them, and pretty much yelling into them how important they thought they were? Pretty common to see them today though...Almost everyone has one. Seeing one on their hip is pretty innocuous right? Thing is, until you need it, the handgun on my hip is no more of a threat then that cell phone. If you think about it, I don't play with my gun, and see what cool ringtones, and ring backs, and all that when I get bored in a McDonalds. That is offensive to me. Wish a cop would hassle them over that...
And the couple of guys that talk about the government regulating use of....blah, blah, blah...I don't need any more government regulations. I think we have enough...
Sorry if you are offended. Sorry if the big country boy with a gun scares you. But as I've seen on here....Yes, It's loaded, it's legal, and damn it, it's my perogative..
Rant off...

SAvage410

Sadly this is not unusual. The spousal unit and I used to get pizza once a week at a now-closed family restaurant in Falls Church. During one such outing we spotted and talked to one of our neighbors and his mother as we waited for our meal. Shortly thereafter they stopped coming to the restaurant because my Glock "frightened" the mother; this despite the fact that the pistol never left my holster. It amazes me that some people make it through the day without ever once emitting a discernible bleat.

speed41ae

One of my supervisors from my last company and I were talking one day and I mentioned that I was going to a VCDL meeting and dinner afterwards. When I told him that most of us would be open carrying in the Annandale Fuddruckers, he was aghast. He told me that if he ever walked into a restaurant that had a group of people that were open carrying that would quickly leave. This guy was a gun owner himself. I tried to talk to him about his phobia, but quickly realized that he was a lost cause.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One of my supervisors from my last company and I were talking one day and I mentioned that I was going to a VCDL meeting and dinner afterwards. When I told him that most of us would be open carrying in the Annandale Fuddruckers, he was aghast. He told me that if he ever walked into a restaurant that had a group of people that were open carrying that would quickly leave. This guy was a gun owner himself. I tried to talk to him about his phobia, but quickly realized that he was a lost cause.
Funny thing is that if they had all been CCing he'd have had no problem with it - course he wouldn't have known, but still it is as we used to say, "the same difference".