• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the Ashland Library: "He frightened me."

wylde007

Funny thing is that if they had all been CCing he'd have had no problem with it - course he wouldn't have known, but still it is as we used to say, "the same difference".
I finally had the long-awaited pleasure of hearing Philip opine about "Constitutional Carry" in Virginia and state, quite explicitly, that it is beyond ridiculous that a firearm is somehow more or less dangerous dependent immediately upon the mode of carry.

Sure, I guess some people might "feel" safer not seeing a gun or making the assumption that a a gun unseen is either:

A) a "safe" gun, or
B) a permitted gun.

Of course, the argument for permits by those fringe lunatics who "grew up around guns all their lives but just don't think anybody needs one on them all the time" is that a permit holder has gone through some sort of state-sanctioned safety course. They assume then, that everyone who has not taken such a course is a sarsaparilla away from offing someone for looking at him the wrong way.

USNA69

Isn't it strange how the same people, who get a case of the vapors at the mere sight of a holstered firearm, then leave and blithely hop into a motor vehicle, in which their probability of death or serious injury is far greater? Go figure. :banghead:

2a4all

I finally had the long-awaited pleasure of hearing Philip opine about "Constitutional Carry" in Virginia and state, quite explicitly, that it is beyond ridiculous that a firearm is somehow more or less dangerous dependent immediately upon the mode of carry.

Sure, I guess some people might "feel" safer not seeing a gun or making the assumption that a a gun unseen is either:

A) a "safe" gun, or
B) a permitted gun, or
C) It's not there.

Of course, the argument for permits by those fringe lunatics who "grew up around guns all their lives but just don't think anybody needs one on them all the time" is that a permit holder has gone through some sort of state-sanctioned safety course. They assume then, that everyone who has not taken such a course is a sarsaparilla away from offing someone for looking at him the wrong way.
I think the third alternative is more likely.

cirrusly

First and foremost- thank you to the OCers she witnessed in Ashland.

This article is disheartening to read. The instances in which she witnessed open carry were the most "unscary" and docile of situations. It's disheartening because if under those circumstances she cannot find value or at least understanding for why we exercise our constitutional rights, it makes me realize our rights are more precarious than I've thought, and it adds more uncertainty as to if those 2A rights will be further infringed in years to come.

I respect the opinion of those who disagree with 2A but have a neutral opinion on the exercise of the right. Because at least they understand the value of maintaining constitutional rights.

At the end of the day- it's a global world. Of you're that uncomfortable with the Bill of Rights then denounce your citizenship and move to a country that outlaws firearms, like Mexico. I'm sure you'll be much more secure there.

grylnsmn

Sadly this is not unusual. The spousal unit and I used to get pizza once a week at a now-closed family restaurant in Falls Church. During one such outing we spotted and talked to one of our neighbors and his mother as we waited for our meal. Shortly thereafter they stopped coming to the restaurant because my Glock "frightened" the mother; this despite the fact that the pistol never left my holster. It amazes me that some people make it through the day without ever once emitting a discernible bleat.

Was that restaurant Anthony's? If so, there's at least some good news for you. They are going to reopen in the Westlawn shopping center (corner of 50 and Annandale Rd) after it's finished this fall.

PM me if you want details. My neighborhood's civic association has been following the shopping center rebuild, as we live right next to it.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Our responses...

Our community was pretty effective in responding to the article, countering the anti's comments almost in real time. I was there, ProShooter was there, as well as others who used facts instead of emotions in commenting on the postings. One indication of the attitude trend is the number of 'likes" received by the pro's as opposed to the anti's.

While I think made our points, it would have been helpful if additional members of our community had responded. We need to show overwhelming support for our 2nd Amendment rights, not just an equal response.

JMHO.

AtackDuck

Mental-- L&I

“Gun Control” advocates fall into only two categories: the Liars and the Ignorant.
There is no third category.
The Liars invent the lies. The Ignorant believe the lies and repeat them.
Truly fervent “gun control” advocates are quite often mentally ill. Their most common clinical symptoms, projection and denial, are barely below the surface.
Because they often entertain a warped contempt of other human beings, they don’t trust themselves with guns, so they would prohibit firearms to all. They also entertain a primitive superstition about an inanimate object: “Guns are bad! Guns kill people!”

Excerpt of: The Insidious Semantics of ‘Gun Control’
By Kirby Ferris Copyright 2011, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I think more of our community than you think responded...My post didn't say Red Dawg, it was my name...As I'm sure more of us was the same..

I agree ... but I was hoping for an even bigger response to show the Richmond community how deep and wide the support for legal carry is. My post used my real name, just as ProShooter did, and I am glad to know that you commented as well...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, isn't THAT special! In just a few minutes, the site went from open and reachable to a 404 error.... Apparently, the RTD comment page for that article wasn't getting the responses they wanted...
Like the man said, "It's all about control."

Control the information, control the mind, control the man, control the nation.

Flounder

Repeater

Our community was pretty effective in responding to the article, countering the anti's comments almost in real time. I was there, ProShooter was there, as well as others who used facts instead of emotions in commenting on the postings. One indication of the attitude trend is the number of 'likes" received by the pro's as opposed to the anti's.

While I think made our points, it would have been helpful if additional members of our community had responded. We need to show overwhelming support for our 2nd Amendment rights, not just an equal response.

JMHO.

Wow, you are correct. I elected to sort all comments in reverse chronological order. I saw Pro's comment:
Evil men with guns frighten me too.

It seems everyone who believes in liberty and posted comments did a great job.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow, you are correct. I elected to sort all comments in reverse chronological order. I saw Pro's comment:

It seems everyone who believes in liberty and posted comments did a great job.
Strange, I can only see three (3) comments and do not find an option to reverse the chronological order.