• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IL Gov signs law requiring background checks for private sales.

RANDYT

The thing is, to purchase a firearm in IL, you have to have a FOID, Firearm owner ID, which according to the state police they run checks on daily. Now you have call in to make sure the card is valid.

HandyHamlet

The Gov not yet in jail (hey, two ARE) also signed into law the 72 hour rule. Your firearms have to be reported stolen within 72 hrs or you are busted. So I guess when you leave your residence for a week you must bring all firearms along with you.

The victim becomes the criminal.
Starting immediately, gun owners whose weapons are lost or stolen will have 72 hours to notify police.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-quinn-signs-gun-bill-20130818,0,6251315.story

He said the law will make it easier to recover stolen weapons and help ensure that only responsible people buy firearms.
Does this mean you no longer have to keep records of the purchaser for 7 yrs?

PALO

Actually, not quite...

The Gov not yet in jail (hey, two ARE) also signed into law the 72 hour rule. Your firearms have to be reported stolen within 72 hrs or you are busted. So I guess when you leave your residence for a week you must bring all firearms along with you.

The victim becomes the criminal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-quinn-signs-gun-bill-20130818,0,6251315.story

Does this mean you no longer have to keep records of the purchaser for 7 yrs?

HandyHamlet... you got fooled, man.

I think the article is more to blame than you, but the way it's written is JUST vague enough to give them a little wiggle room. But you are making an assumption which can lead to trouble, especially when the assumption is made based on lay media rubbish articles.

Chicago Tribune: gun owners whose weapons are lost or stolen will have 72 hours to notify police.

The operative question is ... "72 hours" FROM WHEN to notify police? It doesn't say "72 hours from time of the theft". Note that. It just says they will have "72 hours". You assumed they meant 72 hours from the time of the theft. That's a reasonable assumption, except it's the lay media and you can't fill in gaps with filler like that because all too often they will lead you astray. You got punked.

It really vexes me when the lay media reports on something ANYTHING but specifically legal stuff like this and all they offer is soundbites and THEIR subjective analysis OF the law, w/o actually offering a link to the text of the law so readers can decide for themselves. It's my biggest peeve with the dinosaur media. Newer media outlets, specifically those born on the internet are much better at doing this than the lumbering old dailies

They don't even give it's name or code # or anything to make the search easier, also. It PISSES me off.

I did some research. I found it hard to believe as commented on in posts here and in the artcle that the law would require you to report a stolen gun within 72 hrs of the theft. As commenters pointed out,. what if you were on vacation, etc?

Well, the law does NOT require you to report it within 72 hrs OF the theft.

It requires you to report it WITHIN 72 HRS OF BECOMING AWARE OF THE THEFT

*********HUGE DIFFERENCE************

And what I suspected was the case

The article states: Starting immediately, gun owners whose weapons are lost or stolen will have 72 hours to notify police
Here is an article from the jurist.

Note the way it is written: Gun owners will have 72 hours after learning of the loss or theft to report it

THAT is what the law says and that is an example of how REAL articles are written. Vs. the chicago tribune crap

http://jurist.org/paperchase/2013/08/illinois-governor-signs-gun-control-bill-into-law.php

Here's the section of the law excerpted:
(720 ILCS 5/24-4.1 new)
23 Sec. 24-4.1. Report of lost or stolen firearms.
24 (a) If a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's
25 Identification Card and who possesses or acquires a firearm

HB1189 Enrolled - 35 - LRB098 02638 RLC 32643 b

1 thereafter loses the firearm, or if the firearm is stolen from
2 the person, the person must report the loss or theft to the
3 local law enforcement agency within 72 hours after obtaining
4 knowledge of the loss or theft.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ful...DocNum=1189&GAID=12&LegID=&SpecSess=&Session=

My agency allows us to speak directly to the press (many agencies limit this only to supervisor's or PIO's etc.). Ime, they have a DECENT track record with reporting what was actually told to them vs. what they want to hear etc. but DECENT doesn't cut it with me

It's why when I read an account of a police shooting or whatnot and somebody gloms on to some detail, it pays to go to source documents before you do so with ANY detail because often they are misleading or outright false. This article was just misleading. Whereas the Jurist was crystal clear.

What kind of moron editor wouldn't have caught that simple error? A high school newspaper editor should have caught it.

My rules for reading dinosaur media articles:
***Read critically, read for content, don't fill in gaps with assumptions and go to source documents. Any article etc. that doesn't link or reference the source (like the tribune article fails to do - not even mentioning the bill/law #/name etc. so one can easily look it up by oneself) of their info is automatically suspect.

This holds doubly true when they are reporting on police use of force! :)

Last edited:

Black_water

It requires you to report it WITHIN 72 HRS OF BECOMING AWARE OF THE THEFT

What if you become aware when the cops show up at your door to say your gun was used in a crime?

Here in AZ, Tucson specifically, wanted a law like this, however, they wanted it to be "24 hours from when you should "reasonably" know it was stolen".

There goes that word reasonable.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
What if you become aware when the cops show up at your door to say your gun was used in a crime?

Here in AZ, Tucson specifically, wanted a law like this, however, they wanted it to be "24 hours from when you should "reasonably" know it was stolen".

There goes that word reasonable.

o_O? Then you still have 72 hours from when you become aware the firearm was stolen to report it. That's what the law says, period. It makes no exemptions, exceptions or special circumstances otherwise. Assuming the law is constitutional and not preempted or prohibited due to any other statute, that's what it says so that's what it is.