• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Centennial Trail No Firearms

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
and that's great that Jeff and yourself have been successful, the last couple times I've tried calling over signs I get connected to some receptionist or clerk who couldn't care less and puts out some BS or tells me to talk to the department (fill in job title here) and the <fill in title here> usually has an allergic reaction to the answering machine. maybe you live in counties where people are easier to get ahold of. the last time I tried was Snohomish county several years ago, and I gave up on it because the couple calls i made ended up being transferred to answering machines and never returned.....

Never give up...

I would suggest reaching out to BigDave.... he has been very successful and has offered assistance to others many times. What it takes is knowing who to contact that can make a difference and persevering... government bureaucracies are notorious for putting the citizen aside.... don't let them! furthermore, it can take time... a year or more sometimes....

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
That is all well and good Eric, but, how about the many citizens that do carry and are unaware that the signs are wrong?
They leave their firearm in the car and then the emergency arises and they are defensively naked.
Who has been negligent in helping to protect the rights and ability to defend? More than the municipalities I would surmise.

In addition, you have citizens that look at you in the park with your gun and decide to approach you and make a stink because the sign says no weapons or no firearms, etc. If the sign was corrected, they might not approach you. Hell, this could even be a citizen that normal conceals and saw the sign so he wants to approach you to let you know. There are many levels of familiarity with the laws, most people would assume a sign is correct IMO.

I always try to fix signs when I see them. I am currently working on the National Bison Range in Montana...

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

and that's great that Jeff and yourself have been successful, the last couple times I've tried calling over signs I get connected to some receptionist or clerk who couldn't care less and puts out some BS or tells me to talk to the department (fill in job title here) and the <fill in title here> usually has an allergic reaction to the answering machine. maybe you live in counties where people are easier to get ahold of. the last time I tried was Snohomish county several years ago, and I gave up on it because the couple calls i made ended up being transferred to answering machines and never returned.....

• Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with great talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence, determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Cooledge

Like Nick said never give up stamina and perseverance will win every time.

EMNofSeattle

I always try to fix signs when I see them. I am currently working on the National Bison Range in Montana...

Good luck there, the Department of Interior doesn't like that they have to allow guns. they're about the only federal agency I can think of that had their specific power to regulate firearms on their outdoor lands stripped from them by congress. The US Forest Service (if I remember correctly but please correct me if I'm wrong) allow firearms by their choice, and likewise for recreational wetlands owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, who ban guns on their wetlands because they have the authority.

the NPS/ Dept of Interior doesn't want to allow guns, they resisted the change every step of the way. They aren't just going to take down the "no gun signs".

I actually two years ago before I joined the forum was carrying in Montana, we visited Natl Bison Range and I saw the gun buster and disarmed because I knew National Parks were Kosher but the media never mentioned that Wildlife Refuges were as well and I didn't read the law.

you know who's fault that is? It's not yours, it's not the Dept of Interior's fault, it's my fault for not reading and understanding the laws at play and taking the sign at face value

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
As to EMN not caring.... wrong!

Battling what I have referred to for years as "serial misinformation" is what OCDO is all about. This is a long term education campaign and this is an important element of our struggle for acceptance.

I understand that point,

No I think you do not

Good luck there, .......... They aren't just going to take down the "no gun signs".

Yes, they will.

Persistence. Resistance. Consistence. Don't give up.... Remember that Citizenship is a Verb!! If you want to see change...Do something. Or sit down, stop whining and shut up so the rest of us can.

Stretch

And what about those out of state folks who want to carry but see an illegal gun buster sign? I know for a fact I don't know every law for every state I travel to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

MattinWA

It would appear that the website has been corrected, however the signs have not. I walked the section of trail from barker rd to harvard rd and back. I was open carrying my XD and walking my dog. Received two compliments on my dog, no comments what so ever on my pistol.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

A thank you email for removing the no firearms rule from their web site sent to Loreen Mcfaul executive director of the Friends of the Centennial Trail.

MattinWA

Still no changes to the signs. There is a number at the bottom of the sign and it says "for any problems please contact:"

So I called the sign's number to report my problem, went something like this:
Me: "Hello, is I have found this number to report a problem on the centennial trail."
Lady: "yes, what is the Problem?"
Me: "well there is an illegal sign here telling me I cannot bring firearms onto the trail..."
(before I could explain the states preemption or go into any details she immediately said, as verbatim as I can remember from yesterday...
Lady: "Yes, the signs are incorrect, and are in the process of being changed, you ARE permitted to concealed carry with a permit or open carry on the trail"
Me: "Ahhh thank you, do you know when the signs will be changed?"
Lady: "it's in the works, it is being corrected"(-or something like that)

skeith5

Glad they are getting changed. I'm a commissioner on my city's park, art, and recreation board. It can take awhile to get things done here, not sure if Spokane is the same way. We only meet one a month to make recommendations to the city council. To change a sign of have to bring it up at a meeting one month, action might not happen until the following month. Once our board makes the recommendation to change something it would go to the city council who would take at least a month to make a decision. Unfortunately government wheels turn really slow.

Jeff Hayes

Still no changes to the signs. There is a number at the bottom of the sign and it says "for any problems please contact:"

Me: "Hello, is I have found this number to report a problem on the centennial trail."
Me: "well there is an illegal sign here telling me I cannot bring firearms onto the trail..."
(before I could explain the states preemption or go into any details she immediately said, as verbatim as I can remember from yesterday...
Lady: "Yes, the signs are incorrect, and are in the process of being changed, you ARE permitted to concealed carry with a permit or open carry on the trail"

Matt Thanks for checking again, when I originally contacted them they said they would get it done ASAP and I have been cutting them some slack because their budget has been cut so much. I did send Chris Guidotti a reminder email last week just so he did not forget you calling is also perfect way to keep them motivated. It looks like we educated them pretty well if they are now reciting the law and know they have to change the signs.

Last edited:

MattinWA

It looks like we educated them pretty well if they are now reciting the law and know they have to change the signs.

Yes I was pleasantly surprised by the wording used, specifically "open carry or concealed with a permit" and I think it's good that they would provide that information to anyone who would call, they certainly would not be required to... Maybe, if it's not to much to ask, you could thank them for going above and beyond in their phone operators' training.... Ya know, next time you shoot them an email since you seam to have an already open dialogue. I do appreciate their extra effort :)

Now if we could just get those pesky signs down :confused:

Last edited:

MattinWA

would you need a permit to conceal carry on the trail? sounds to me like recreational outdoor activity.....

Well ya got me there, didn't think of that....
I will have to call them back...
Maybe postpone my appreciation for a min....
Ur such a downer....
Ohhhh you missed a keyword in your phrase... "lawful"

:p

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Post the number, let's ALL call.... squeaky wheel....