• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Centennial Trail No Firearms

darkside

slightly off topic

Ok this might be slightly off topic but here goes. Since the Centennial Trail signage has been addressed we should be good on the trail but since part of the trail runs thru Riverfront Park and the signs (and website) still say all weapons are not allowed in the park, i would think that there is still a chance of a bad encounter with park security or the police. How do we go about getting the park in line with state law?:eek:

Obi Wan

The current Training Bulletin for the Spokane City Police Department states in relevant part:

"Officers, when faced with an open carry situation in a park, should take no enforcement action
solely based on an "open carry" situation. Officers should only react to clear violations of
intimidation with a weapon or assault or other crimes just as they would in any other location.

Officers should maintain a high degree of officer safety, but understand that simply because
someone is carrying a firearm openly, that does not necessarily give the officer the authority to
take it from them under the auspices of officer safety. Some behavior or action to support
concern for the officer's safety should also be present."

2013 Training Bulletin #2 March 7, 2013
Open Carry of Firearms within City Parks - Changes to Spokane Municipal Code

Obi Wan

Jeff Hayes

Ok this might be slightly off topic but here goes. Since the Centennial Trail signage has been addressed we should be good on the trail but since part of the trail runs thru Riverfront Park and the signs (and website) still say all weapons are not allowed in the park, i would think that there is still a chance of a bad encounter with park security or the police. How do we go about getting the park in line with state law?:eek:

Riverfront park is the city of Spokane and their web site says no weapons and no discharge of any projectile from any weapon or device, technically if I understand it correctly firearms are not weapons in the "State of Washington so they are getting away with saying no weapons even though they know better. We can try to get that changed but I would not hold my breath since they will say it is your responsibility to know what is a weapon and that a firearm is not a weapon and thus exempt.

Opinions on if we should try to get this changed.

Last edited:

darkside

Jeff,
Thanks for the answer. I thought they might be playing word games but was not sure. Only brought it up since they are doing renovations on the trail and Riverfront park because of the convention center expansion. Heard on the news that they were looking for suggestions on improvements. Thought that maybe the addition of the word "illegal" to the signage might be a good idea.

Obi-Wan,
Thanks for the info of the training, because we all know that cops never break training or do anything they are not supposed to do. Would it be possible for you to find out about the training of park security so we know how they will treat someone open carrying?

MattinWA

I have open carried through riverfront park, past park security, past police, into park buildings (IMAX, arcade) and not had an issue.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
would you need a permit to conceal carry on the trail? sounds to me like recreational outdoor activity.....

According to my other thread, DNR says you can CC while doing outdoor stuff:
"Attached is a scanned electronic copy of pages 10-11 of the State of Washington Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Services 2013 Bail Schedule. It covers Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms under RCW 9.41.060, stating "Persons may carry concealed pistols, including within a motor vehicle, without a permit if they are engaged in, or going to or from lawful recreational activities". Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area. "

PALO

The current Training Bulletin for the Spokane City Police Department states in relevant part:

"Officers, when faced with an open carry situation in a park, should take no enforcement action
solely based on an "open carry" situation. Officers should only react to clear violations of
intimidation with a weapon or assault or other crimes just as they would in any other location.

Officers should maintain a high degree of officer safety, but understand that simply because
someone is carrying a firearm openly, that does not necessarily give the officer the authority to
take it from them under the auspices of officer safety. Some behavior or action to support
concern for the officer's safety should also be present."

2013 Training Bulletin #2 March 7, 2013
Open Carry of Firearms within City Parks - Changes to Spokane Municipal Code

Obi Wan

That's a pretty good training bulletin. I'm copying it so I can reference it to my agency's policy people in regards to getting some good written police on OC'ers

Jeff Hayes

I have open carried through riverfront park, past park security, past police, into park buildings (IMAX, arcade) and not had an issue.

I have as well the only person I can think if that had a problem at Riverside Park was I believe Country hacker they did not want him ice skating with a holstered firearm for some reason but that got corrected.

Jeff Hayes

That's a pretty good training bulletin. I'm copying it so I can reference it to my agency's policy people in regards to getting some good written police on OC'ers

I believe Fetch and another guy had a lot to do with this training bulletin they had some input if I remember correctly.

MattinWA

I have as well the only person I can think if that had a problem at Riverside Park was I believe Country hacker they did not want him ice skating with a holstered firearm for some reason but that got corrected.

Lol I wouldn't want him ice skating with a holstered pistol untill I could predetermine wether or not he was "really, really good" wouldn't want to damage the equipment

hermannr

Still no changes to the signs. There is a number at the bottom of the sign and it says "for any problems please contact:"

So I called the sign's number to report my problem, went something like this:
Me: "Hello, is I have found this number to report a problem on the centennial trail."
Lady: "yes, what is the Problem?"
Me: "well there is an illegal sign here telling me I cannot bring firearms onto the trail..."
(before I could explain the states preemption or go into any details she immediately said, as verbatim as I can remember from yesterday...
Lady: "Yes, the signs are incorrect, and are in the process of being changed, you ARE permitted to concealed carry with a permit or open carry on the trail"
Me: "Ahhh thank you, do you know when the signs will be changed?"
Lady: "it's in the works, it is being corrected"(-or something like that)

Actually, you do not need a nanny permit to Criminal Carry on the Centennial Trail. Hiking is one of the specifically identified activities that is exempted in RCW 9.41.060(8)